The Student Room Group

AS English language ENGB1

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble with ENGB1.
I don't understand what it means by putting the texts in a group.
Can someone tell me what groups I can put it into, apart from genre, audience, purpose, formality and the ones basically on the AQA spec.

If a text is a newspaper article, does that mean I use graphology?
What about a transcript?
What about a leaflet?
I am totally confused.

After that do i mention theories and say I choose the newspaper article and say it goes with graphology, do i talk about graphology?

If there are texts A-H, do I have to put them all into groups? Is it group to put 2-3 in the same group?

Thanks
]There are NO right/wrong groupings. Look at the texts and see how they group together - it's as simple as that. Try to make a specific group - don't just group for grammar, what bits of grammar? pronouns? sentence structure? you get my drift :P Each year the "recommended" groups change. The xaminers are given indicative content lists, of possible groups, but you aren't marked against these, the mark scheme is general.
By group, it means what YOU think are similar/different aspects; where they have a familiar ground :smile:

If a text is a newspaper article, does that mean I use graphology? - No, there is no "have to" say/use anything.

What about a transcript? - well, you're pretty limited because of transcript conventions. You want to look for spontaneous speech, relationship, politeness theory, turn-taking, discourse, QA etc. Try not to beat yourself up - you'll be able to spot features of transcripts quite easily.

What about a leaflet? - This is largely based on context. You are best off picking features of the leaflet that hep it to do it's job. E.g if the leaflet is persuading parent's not to feed chocolate to their children, pick out the persuasive devices used and comment on them.

After that do i mention theories and say I choose the newspaper article and say it goes with graphology, do i talk about graphology?- Be careful with graphology. Many students fall into the trap of discussing graphology when this doesn't concern language, it's pictures :P You can mention the picture and say how it WORKS WITH language e.g lexical cohesion, but don't do a group solely on graphology.

If there are texts A-H, do I have to put them all into groups? Is it group to put 2-3 in the same group? - No, you don't have to use EVERY text to get a good mark. We were recommended to use 2-3 in each group, with about 4 groups.

I have made a very detailed post on what to do and how you are awarded marks - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28773232#post28773232
Reply 2
Thanks a lot of that- it makes sense now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending