The Student Room Group

Is life in the uk boring?

okay so I'll be heading there in the near future to further my education. but i heard really nasty things about the uk. so i'd like to clarify a few things:

1) Do all the shops really close at 5pm?
It's kind of unbelievable, considering how some retail stores close at 11pm here.

2) Are the students really normally confined to their dorms, or campuses on weekdays?

3) Are all the international students really like over-the-top nerds who mug almost 24/7?

4) Is life really going to be as boring and bland as a cup of water?

If all the above are true, then I'll have to re-think my decision :/

Update:
To all the people who thought i was stereotyping and offensive or whatever else. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out this way. It's just what relatives and friends I have there told me. Before that, going to the uk to live and study had always been my dream because I really really love the culture there. It's different and seems really exciting and just wonderful. The purpose of this thread is to look for some reassurance that my 'dream' wouldn't turn out to be as ****ty as I have heard. I don't believe in the stereotypes entirely because I haven't been there so I'm in no position to do so. Here's and apology to all the people I have unintentionally offended. I'm sorry.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tessaaa
okay so I'll be heading there in the near future to further my education. but i heard really nasty things about the uk. so i'd like to clarify a few things:

It's kind of unbelievable, considering how some retail stores close at 11pm here.

2) Are the students really normally confined to their dorms, or campuses on weekdays?

3) Are all the international students really like over-the-top nerds who mug almost 24/7?

No.
No.
No.
No.
Reply 2
1) Yes

2) Mostly

3) Yes

4) Most likely

I should it's wise if you reconsidered your decision, don't you?
Everything you've heard from gossip and stereotypes are true :yep:
Reply 4
Yes it's all true so please stay the **** away!
Original post by Tessaaa

No, although a lot of smaller ones and locally run ones will.
Of course not.
Nope, international students are still students. They get drunk just like everybody else.
No.

Out of interest where are you coming from?
Reply 6
holy crap! would australia be a better choice then?
Reply 7
O.o

Utter disbelief... that's all I can manage right now.

Where did you hear all that?
Reply 8
None of that is true.

Where are you from?
Original post by Greenlaner
No.
No.
No.
No.

haha, this poster is right too +rep
Original post by Tessaaa
holy crap! would australia be a better choice then?

Oh definately not, Australia is even worse. I suggest Somalia.
Original post by Tessaaa

No, who told you that?

No, never heard of binge drinking?

No. Mug as in steal, don't think so.

No, more like a mento in a cola bottle.

Stereotypes amaze me.
No, have no fear... the UK is awesome!

Ignore posters saying it is, they're just out of their heads from all the wild sex/drugs/boozing they've been doing every night. :cool:
Original post by Tessaaa

The are downsides with the UK, but none of the ones you listed.
Where are you from as that will help in making a comparison?
Original post by Tessaaa

Yes, but unless you feel the need to do late night shopping on a regular basis, I fail to see the issue here.

No.

I don't even know what this means.

Well water is quite useful. You can't live without it after all.
Reply 15
Life is as boring or interesting as you want to make it. People that say London is boring are normally boring people themselves..
Reply 16
It's **** compared to the rest of Europe, where kids seem to pretty much still all be hippies. And they get to like drive real cars. And they smoke a lot more herb.
Reply 17
you have no idea!
Reply 18
yes
yes
yes
yes

don't bother coming
Reply 19
Original post by Tessaaa

1.na man.most a 6pm.
2.No
3.apprently yep
4.Yeh.

Latest

Trending

Trending