The Student Room Group

how much time do you spend on psychology?

Hey guys,
I am thinking of applying for the psychology undergraduate course (the other one im thinking of applying for is astrophysics).

my main problem is this: i have a personal interest,that takes me much time,for me this personal interest is more important than university,it’s the passion of my life,so i would like to have an idea of how much time a particular course would take me,in order to know if I have time to attend that course or not

Ok,so the question is this:I would like to know how much time a person, who is attending the psychology undergraduate course,spends on this course a week in total.
At ucl they told me on top of the hours of lectures you also have the hours of tutorial times and independent hours.
So For “in total” I mean:how many hours you spend on lectures each day,how many hours you spend on lunch breaks,how many hours you spend on tutorial times and independent hours,how many hours you spend on individual study(homework) each day.

Thank you very much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At most unis I visited I was told to treat studying as a full time job (9-5), but I haven't been yet, and so can't say.
Reply 2
Original post by elvis L

Hey just wondering what your personal interest is, because if thats the thing your most enthusiastic about maybe you should consider a course in that field?
I'm also applying to study Psychology, and although it's not a hobby i know i could commit the time studying it as it interests me, remember your setting foundations for what you do for the rest of your life so make sure it's something you really want to do! :-)
*subscribe*
Reply 4
About 8/9hours contact, not very much self study - getting 1st's and 2.1's but it's early and everyone's different of course.
Original post by Tashalls
About 8/9hours contact, not very much self study - getting 1st's and 2.1's but it's early and everyone's different of course.

:O for my first choice uni we have to have 15 hours contact time per week
It really fluctuates too much to give you a realistic number.

First year: Generally chilled. Epic stress at the end.

Second year: Not bad, but had a lot of coursework which took up a lot of time. Second year exam period was ****ing stressful. I was pretty much in the library from 9am-6/7pm everyday (inc weekends) for a few weeks.

On average, I say it was near enough 9am-4pm including lectures, tutorials and private study. Not too bad.

Third year: I have got so much reading and courseworks are piling up. I've already had three lab reports and I've got two essays due. On top of that, I need to do reading for my final year project, design my project, gather stimuli for it, regular meetings with my research supervisor, preparing for graduate applications and interviews. I'll have to start data collection and writing it up ASAP.

I'll be ****ting bricks next term as we approach finals.
Contact hours for me in yr 1&2 was about 11-16 a week. On top of that I probably did about 10-15 hrs (I can't remember for sure!)

However, degrees like astrophysics will have even more contact hours (generally 30-36hrs)
Reply 8
Wow my unis quite lax =/
Wow my unis quite lax =/

How comes? how many hours do you do at uni?
Reply 10
Original post by Bubbles0ox
How comes? how many hours do you do at uni?

8-9
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
It really fluctuates too much to give you a realistic number.

First year: Generally chilled. Epic stress at the end.

Second year: Not bad, but had a lot of coursework which took up a lot of time. Second year exam period was ****ing stressful. I was pretty much in the library from 9am-6/7pm everyday (inc weekends) for a few weeks.

On average, I say it was near enough 9am-4pm including lectures, tutorials and private study. Not too bad.

Third year: I have got so much reading and courseworks are piling up. I've already had three lab reports and I've got two essays due. On top of that, I need to do reading for my final year project, design my project, gather stimuli for it, regular meetings with my research supervisor, preparing for graduate applications and interviews. I'll have to start data collection and writing it up ASAP.

I'll be ****ting bricks next term as we approach finals.

Lol how the hell do you have time to be on here :eek:
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist
Lol how the hell do you have time to be on here :eek:

By avoiding the above.
I'm a first year Psych undergrad and I have 12 hours of lectures a week. For each 1 hour lecture, we have to do 2 hours reading. So it's 36 hours total, or 8 hours each week day. It's basically a full time job. You really need to put the effort in like it's a 9-4 work day.

And it only gets harder apparently :frown:
Well I do a dual honours so only half of my hours are psych but anyway this year I have 5 hours of psych classes every week (3 1-hour lectures & a 2 hour lab class) then an extra hour every 3 weeks and have probably done at most 15 hours of work outside of that since the start of semester.

But even with the addition of my other subject I only do 9 hours of classes per week then how much work I do outside of classes per day/week depends on if I have a deadline that week or not.
Reply 15
8-9

what's your uni?

also how many hours do you spend on homework a week\each day?
Reply 16
Original post by nicnakniccynoo
have probably done at most 15 hours of work outside of that since the start of semester.

when did your semester begin?

Original post by nicnakniccynoo
But even with the addition of my other subject I only do 9 hours of classes per week then how much work I do outside of classes per day/week depends on if I have a deadline that week or not.

ok so,how much spend on homework a week when you DONT have a deadline,and how much time do you spend on homework a week when you have a deadline?
and how many deadlines do you have in a year?
Original post by elvis L
what's your uni?

also how many hours do you spend on homework a week\each day?

Homework?
Original post by grape:)
At most unis I visited I was told to treat studying as a full time job (9-5), but I haven't been yet, and so can't say.

This is what you get told :-) However, I find that it doesn't take that much work.. it depends what grade you're aiming for I suppose. I have 10 hours of lectures per week, and then do around 5-6 hours of independant study when I don't have assignments due, but then it can get to be much more than this when work is set.
9 hours a week, this is 3x 2 hour lecture, 1 x 1 hour lecture and 1 x 2 hour workshop. I hate the lack of contact time :/ I'm in 3 days a week!

Quick Reply

Latest