The Student Room Group

I need your help guys!! - STUDENTCOM

HI GUYS! I am an undergraduate student who studying in Year 2 in Aston University.
Since I have bought the Macbook Air yet I ahve no Ethernet port in my mac, so I have no choice and could only access the internet via wifi!

Yet the wifi signal for studentcom is crab and sometimes cant connect to it. Since some of my friend said router is not working for studentcom as they will block you for using a router, is this true? I am confuse about it ..

so.. is router/modem works ?
thx guys
Reply 1
Original post by littleduck15
HI GUYS! I am an undergraduate student who studying in Year 2 in Aston University.
Since I have bought the Macbook Air yet I ahve no Ethernet port in my mac, so I have no choice and could only access the internet via wifi!

Yet the wifi signal for studentcom is crab and sometimes cant connect to it. Since some of my friend said router is not working for studentcom as they will block you for using a router, is this true? I am confuse about it ..

so.. is router/modem works ?
thx guys

Apple recommends you get one of these - http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC704ZM/A
I find that quite incredible, considering you can get perfectly functional wireless routers for that price. However, a lot of universities do ban wireless routers so unless
1) You want to risk it.
2) You want argue your case with studentcom and see what they say.
3) Someone from Aston posts in here, says it really doesn't matter, and then you want to risk it.
It sounds like an ethernet->usb adapter is your only choice. Ethernet will be theoretically faster anyway.
I do note that non-apple adapters are available. Unless you know that they will work with your mac, it's not worth the risk.
Reply 2
THX mate, since this problem has bothered me since i've bought my macbook air!! I really cant imagine there is no Ethernet port for a laptop!!!!!!!

yet.. just want to make sure your meaning is..
1) I want to risk it is mean buying the "Apple USB Ethernet Adapter" even may not work for me or buying a wireless router may probably not functioning since universities ban it?

2) I've email them, no reply ....!!!!!!!!!!! hate it

3) Probably ethernet->usb adapter will work in my mind...:smile:

finally, would you recommended to buy a wireless router?

THXX
Reply 3
Original post by littleduck15
THX mate, since this problem has bothered me since i've bought my macbook air!! I really cant imagine there is no Ethernet port for a laptop!!!!!!!

yet.. just want to make sure your meaning is..
1) I want to risk it is mean buying the "Apple USB Ethernet Adapter" even may not work for me or buying a wireless router may probably not functioning since universities ban it?

2) I've email them, no reply ....!!!!!!!!!!! hate it

3) Probably ethernet->usb adapter will work in my mind...:smile:

finally, would you recommended to buy a wireless router?

THXX

What I mean by risking it is: do you want to risk being cut off by buying a wireless router?
Apple takes pride in things 'just working' and hence if you buy one of these it will almost definitely work.
I personally would recommend against a wireless router (just in case) - just get one of the Apple ethernet->USB adapters.
As an aside are you sure your computer didn't come with one? I did a bit of reading and apparently some versions of the macbook air give you one for free.
Reply 4
THX :smile:

My macbook air does not include any adapter ....
The cheapest wireless router at least costs 15pounds or more, if it is useless is just a wast, probable i will buy the Apple ethernet->USB adapters

I have tried to use my mac as internet sharing access point for my iphone, yet it failed, so probably it doesn't work for the router as well :smile:
Wireless internet is running now, I believe!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending