The Student Room Group

Is it EVER possible to transfer to Vet Med?

Ok, so I made this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1481584

Basically it outlines how I've already applied for Maths at Cambridge, Warwick, St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh but I'm beginning to have my doubts about the jobs a Maths degree can get you, but this thread isn't really to discuss that.

I know Vet Med is a VERY competitive course, but is it ever possible to transfer to it? Say I went to Glasgow/Edinburgh with Higher results of AAAAA and Advanced Higher results of AAA I still presume it would be impossible to transfer over due to the intensive and competitive nature of Vet Med applications?

Also, is there any possible postgrad courses in Vet Med I could do after a Maths degree if I still wanted to be a Vet then?

I think the answer to both these questions will be no, but I might as well ask here and find out for sure. Any help is appreciated :smile:

EDIT: I've already achieved AAAAA in my highers, and I'm currently studying Advanced Higher Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
There's graduate entry VetMed, but it's ridiculously competitive (and expensive at certain unis). You'd need to make sure that you could explain (if asked) why you studied a degree totally animal-unrelated since quite a few graduate-entries study Zoology or BioVetMed, and you'd also have to stack up some impressive work experience.
Reply 2
Also, is the UKCAT needed for Vet Med? I know it might be different for every university but it's a good question. Because if I were to get 10 weeks of work experience over the summer holidays next year and get AAA then I might have a slender chance...
If you're seriously thinking about it then start work experience asap. You'll be up against people who've been undertaking work experience since they were 10, so you really don't want to look any more last-minute then you already do (same with me). You'd have to be able to explain why you want to become a vet... like, is there some sort of turning point in your life that made you make this decision rather late?

As for UKCAT, I don't think so, but Cambridge and RVC want BMAT.
Reply 4
Original post by uninspirational
If you're seriously thinking about it then start work experience asap. You'll be up against people who've been undertaking work experience since they were 10, so you really don't want to look any more last-minute then you already do (same with me). You'd have to be able to explain why you want to become a vet... like, is there some sort of turning point in your life that made you make this decision rather late?

As for UKCAT, I don't think so, but Cambridge and RVC want BMAT.

Not really, I've just been thinking that most of the jobs in Maths I detest such as finance, management, consultancy all sound really unappealing to me :/ Which you'd of course know if you read the thread in the OP, which I'm 100% sure everyone will have before replying :rolleyes:

Obviously I wouldn't apply somewhere super competitive (although I realise everywhere is competitive, I doubt Cambridge would let me switch :lol: ), I'd more likely try it at Glasgow or Edinburgh.
i really don't think its possible to transfer, sorry. Also about the graduate application. honestly, if you really really want to do vet, then drop the maths completely, it is soooooooooo much harder to apply as a grad, not to mention expensive. I really believe, cant explain how much so! that you would be so much better off starting the vet dream as a first time undergrad.
Reply 6
hi, from reading your other thread i would say definately get some work experience in a vets before you make a decision, to make sure its what you really want. if you decide it is vet med for you, i would reapply rather than doing a maths degree first. i think transferring isn't really an option, as loads of applicants will probably have just as good grades as you, but also loads of work experience - but maybe its worth an email/phone call.
Reply 7
As far as I'm aware, transfer students are not accepted. With respect to gradutes of related biological sciences, some have to start from year 1 like non-grad entrants, or some institutions offer a 2-in-1 year or similar. The students are individually evaluated for their suitability to such courses. I'm sure there are others here who will have more up to date info on this sort of thing as things have changed a bit since I left vet school.
Reply 8
You won't be able to transfer courses. It would be very, very rare (if ever) that this happened, but even then it would only be with related courses like maybe med to vet med, but I doubt even that happens tbh.

I would say you need to decide firstly if you def want to do vet med - book a week at a vets and see what you think of that, and then reevaluate.

If you do decide to go for it, tbh you are much better trying to apply as a first time undergrad, even if it means a gap year or two. You would need the right grades and subjects, plus work experience at vets/farms etc. You can apply as a graduate applicant (ie: using your degree as the qualification for entry) but with something like maths you wouldn't have covered the science background, so would be applying for the normal course (so would probably need the right alevel/highs quals as well). It is then silly money to do this at most unis (circa £18-22K per year). Except RVC and Nottm which are cheaper, but then very, very competitive for grads because of this.

I would really, really, strongly suggest not going down the grad route if you can avoid it. But, before you decide anything, do some work experience and see what you actually think of the job in reality!
Reply 9
Original post by kookabura
You won't be able to transfer courses. It would be very, very rare (if ever) that this happened, but even then it would only be with related courses like maybe med to vet med, but I doubt even that happens tbh.

I would say you need to decide firstly if you def want to do vet med - book a week at a vets and see what you think of that, and then reevaluate.

If you do decide to go for it, tbh you are much better trying to apply as a first time undergrad, even if it means a gap year or two. You would need the right grades and subjects, plus work experience at vets/farms etc. You can apply as a graduate applicant (ie: using your degree as the qualification for entry) but with something like maths you wouldn't have covered the science background, so would be applying for the normal course (so would probably need the right alevel/highs quals as well). It is then silly money to do this at most unis (circa £18-22K per year). Except RVC and Nottm which are cheaper, but then very, very competitive for grads because of this.

I would really, really, strongly suggest not going down the grad route if you can avoid it. But, before you decide anything, do some work experience and see what you actually think of the job in reality!

What about Scottish universities? I'm Scottish, so how would that work out with funding?
Original post by Bananas01
What about Scottish universities? I'm Scottish, so how would that work out with funding?

Exactly the same, im scottish too. Graduate vet applicants pay the same fees as international students at most of the unis (Edin, Glasgow, Bristol, Liverpool) and you get absolutely no help with fees. Theyre roughly around £20,000 PER YEAR for graduate applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending