The Student Room Group
I have my first moot tomorrow but it's relatively informal.... still, I've been put in the court room so I'll no doubt be pretty nervous!

I have my argument sorted but I have no idea how I'm gonna make it last for 10 whole minutes :|
Reply 2
Oh the joys of Williams v Roffey :smile:

I can't wait to Moot!!
Hope it goes well for both of you, (Can I come watch Mike? I could bring the KCL undergraduate year in tow for support...)
J x
lol... as much as I can't wait to see you, J: No!!!

I'll be bad enough with just the "judge" and the 3 other barristers.
Reply 4
chandni
Doing it for the first time... have to write my speech by wednesday but I don't really know how to write it. Liek for example I want to proove williams v roffey is distinguishable from foakes v beer but i dnt really know how to put this stuff into words that would look good in a moot!!!

Any help would b much appreciated
chandni

Something like "My Lord/Lady, it is submitted that Williams v Roffey is distinguishable from Foakes v Beer for the following reasons; firstly..." would be fine.
--------------
Onearmedbandit
I have my argument sorted but I have no idea how I'm gonna make it last for 10 whole minutes :|

Oh, time'll pass soon enough. All the formalities and the judge's questioning would take quite some time on top of your speech.
Reply 5
I started making this point is this ok like does it make sense and stuff

Williams –v- Roffey Brothers & Nicholls (Contractors) Ltd. 1991 1 QB 1 CA is distinguishable from Foakes –v- Beer 1881-1885 All ER Rep 106 firstly because the law is in a state of flux on the matter of consideration, which is highlighted by the difference in the two judgements, However, this can also be attributed to the fact that it is considered that Foakes –v- Beer is out of date with modern developments in the doctrine of consideration. Secondly Foakes –v- Beer can be said to be relating to performance of a duty imposed by the law as Mrs Beer was claiming her legal right to the interest on the judgement debt whilst Williams –v- Roffey Brothers & Nicholls (Contractors) Ltd. 1991 1 QB 1 is related to performance of a contractual duty owed to the promisor which is more in line with the facts of this case.
Im first respondent mike.
What bout you?

i.e. F*ck off you fag! You aint getting no kite!
Phonicsdude
Im first respondent mike.
What bout you?

i.e. F*ck off you fag! You aint getting no kite!
Senior Appellant

'first' respondent? Don't you mean 'junior'? :p:
Senior respondent with one Charlotte Mortlock. Whoever she is.
Edit: Which side do you think has it better?
I know Charlotte Mortlock.

Hang on... as seniors we're not arguing over the kite are we? And tbh I think my side has a better case, but as far as a moot goes that's good for you. Gives you more to think about and say!!
Please describer her/point her out to me in the lecture today!

As seniors are we meant to be arguing exclusively over the cheese?
Reply 11
please can anyone help me with this moot, have absolutely no idea where to start..

Moot problem 2

Kay V Hindmoor

Hindmoor Superstores placed the following notice in their shop window before the start of their winter sale:

‘OUR WINTER SALE IS HERE ONCE AGAIN- THOUSANDS OF FABULOUS BARGAINS. JUST FOR STARTERS THIS FANTASTIC REAL FUR COAT WILL BE SOLD FOR JUST £50 TO FIRST CUSTOMER THROUGH OUR DOORS ON MONDAY MORNING. DON’T BE LATE’.

Agnes Kay passes Hindmoor’s shop on the Friday before the start of the sale, and seeing the fur coat, determined it would be hers. She ran home and packed some food and drinks and with a sleeping bag rushed back to the store and, relieved to see she was the only person wanting to queue at that time, settled down at the front of the entrance for the weekend. On the Friday evening just before the shop closed the manager came out and said, “I suppose you are after the fur coat make the best of your weekend”.

Other people joined the queue on Sunday evening and early Monday morning and as opening time approached Agnes, knowing she was first, began to get very excited. At 8:45, fifteen minutes before the store was due to open, Agnes noticed that one of the shop employees entered the window and removed both the fur coat and the notice. Agnes thought no more about this and rushed into the shop to claim her prized fur coat. When she asked for it, however, she was told that it was no longer for sale.

Agnes sued Himdmoor’s shop for breach of contract but at first instance the judge found for Himdmoor on the following basis:

1) There was no contract between Agnes and Hindmoor since the notice in the window was not an offer but and invitation to treat and

2) Even in the notice did not amount to an offer it was withdrawn before acceptance and that the principle to enunciate in Errington V Errington (1952) 1 KB 290 did not apply in the instant case.

Kay now appeals to the Court of Appeal.

i have been given the task of being the Senior respondant in this case...
I have my first moot soon and I'm scaaarred!
There is an American case on this.

Lefkowitz v Great Minneapolis Surplus Stores 86 NW 2d 689 (1957).

Try and find it. If not look in a few textbooks for it. Ewan McKendrick's "contract law" discusses it.

Try and find the full case though...
Reply 14
had my moot yesterday we won the case but lost the moot...i personaally thouh we were absoloutly awful but the judges said we werent that bad...i bottled it during my speech and then my partner seeing me get into such a state fell apart all though her speech and we got mullered by the judicial questions...most deffinately not an experience to be repeated!!!
Reply 15
You probably dont need help now but look at shuey v us and Lefkowitz v Great Minneapolis Surplus Stores and Fisher and Bell and Errington v Errington and Carlil. probably more but cant think of any of top of my head n im in a rush. I am doin same moot. Love Sarah xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending