The Student Room Group

Don't know whether I'm doing the right thing...

So as you know (or may not know) I've applied to my 6 universities to do english lit. I am now having doubts about whether this course really is right for me.

Don't get me wrong, I do love english lit - at school, but I'm not sure I can see myself really loving it for the next three years.

Moreover, - and I think it is this which has pulled me up and made me think - I absolutely ADORE my job. (I work at local cattle market as drover, auction clerk and in the office) and I also get to work at the dispersal sales etc. So I was considering some kind of rural surveying...(but I don't know too much about this, can anyone help me?) When I think about a life after uni without agriculture / farming, I can't imagine it and it depresses me.

Maybe a land managment or property agency & marketing would suit me better; but, I don't know enough to be sure...

Opinions / Suggestions?

A very confused Chester who is sorta hoping for 6 rejections...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If the date on your Welcome Letter was less than fourteen days ago, you can call UCAS and change your courses and unis !!
Reply 2
It is, I think. But, I am not sure either way... And I would still have an english based personal statement
Reply 3
You would have to write a new one and send it directly top the unis. If your welcome letter is older than that, you can still change your courses at the unis you have already applied to by contacting them and asking nicely. You have nothing to lose if you're hoping for rejections anyway !!
Reply 4
Where did you apply to for English? I had extreme doubts this time last year, thinking do I really like English enough to spend three years at uni doing it, and wondering if I should have applied for something else. I don't think you'll ever be 100% certain you made the right decision, but now I'm here, I'm actually really enjoying it. If you want to know anything about English at uni, I'll be happy to help (even though I've only been doing it about a month!). But it's normal to worry like this, you're not the only one.
Reply 5
Thanks Sam - have you found it a large step up from A2?
--------------
You have nothing to lose if you're hoping for rejections anyway !!

I am only sort of hoping for rejections because it would solve one of my dilemmas! Thankyou for your information btw
Reply 6
Just change half of your courses then and you'll have a 50/50 chance :biggrin:

And no problem :wink:
Reply 7
Before I start I'll just say I have no knowledge of the job you would like to do what so ever but I'll try offer my thoughts anyway.

Unless it's a specific job, e.g. medicine, usually the main criteria that employers are looking for is a good degree, i.e. a 2-1 or better, rather than a degree in a certain subject. For example I went to an open day at PWC who are one of the largest accountancy firms in the country and I spoke to one of their trainee people there and found out that he'd actually got a degree in Chemistry and had no knowledge of Accountancy before he started!

So what I'm trying to say is maybe you should do a degree in a subject you enjoy, e.g English and concentrate on doing the best you can in that. Because it might be just as worthwhile to you when you're applying for a job and you'll be doing something you enjoy at Uni which is probably the most important thing!

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks
Reply 9
Hey dont worry about being abit unsure, Ive wanted to do Mech Eng for a few years and just as that welcome letter arrived I started worrying about it.
I might be well off here and if I am just ignore me, but could you be more worried about leaving behind your old life and job? In that case no matter what course you had choosen then you'd feel this. Im nervous myself, Im loving my life at the moment, but in 9 months it'll all end to do something completely different.
Just think to yourself that when you filled out that form, back when uni just seemed like a distant dream, English was what you wanted to do most out of all the other possible subjects available.
Now that its becoming more of a reality its abit scary.
I say hang in there, and if you get there and really dont like it you can take a year out, give yourself time to think. Hope that helps.
Reply 10
Id stick with English if I were you. Its a very versatile degree, meaning that you can do pretty much anything you want afterwards. So, when you finish uni and decide you want to go into agriculture, you will STILL be able to. You could even teach the sheep Coleridge if you wanted! Go for English and enjoy it! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Wkd_Intent - I don't think you're "well off" at all and I read your post with interest.

ARGH, I am so confused. I am going to have to think long and hard about this. If I ad wanted to Lit at uni for years then I think you would be correct, but, over the past two / three years I have chopped and changed - from Equine to physio to psych then finally to eng. At for each one I was positive I wanted to do that particular subject. EEK. :frown:
Reply 12
hey there , i did an english degree at uni and loved it , well there was the odd lecture over the 3 i did like too much , but u will get that with every degrree i think.

a lot of ppl who did my course went on to do lots of things after the 3 years, many of them nothing to do with english at all. so if u did do the english degree , there is nothing stopping you getting into land management or property agency after u know. 3 years fly by v fast even though it sounds like a llong time to u now.

english is a good degree to have if u are still a lil unsure , cos it has amny openings at the end.
I would imagine that there arent loads of jobs in agriculture that you cannot get without a degree to agricultural management etc (though forgive me if i'm wrong, as i'm fairly ignorant on this). The fact that you had a good job you enjoyed before uni makes me assume you could do it again after uni, but with an english degree you'd also have other choices, or after uni and then after that too. I'd stick with English, safe in the knowledge you're not locking yourself into a certain job for life as you may be doing with an agriculture specific job, and that you can always go back to your old job (or one similar) should you desire.
Reply 14
Trouble is, the job I am doing now requires no qualifications and is one day a week / perhaps 2 during the summer. It's not a job I could live off I dont think, even if I did 5 days a week. ut you have made a great point in that I may be limiting myself by doing a vocational degree in surveying as opposed to a non vocational degree in English, hence why I think perhaps a gap year may be the best option...

Moreover, I am not sure that I have the neccessary passion / talent for english at degree level
Reply 15
What do you think you hold a passion for? You should definitely do that :wink:
Reply 16
i was not top of class at english either, i did struggle at times but i did enjoy it and that s whats most important, my other subject sociology i didnt really enjoy therefore i wasnt too bothered with studying it , my marks reflect that.

i know early i said u should do english cos its good basis for other careers courses but if u dont like it odnt do it , i hate my post grad course, im totally miserable and u wont learn and succeed if thats the case , so dont do something for sake of doing it
Reply 17
last time i read one of ur threads, u said that u only wanted to study english at a good uni.

as a result of predictions, u acknowledged that u may have to reapply next year. u seemd quite please with this option.

the fact that u now want to change course, really changes nothing.

u still take the year out and reapply for different course.

what's the prob ?
Reply 18
as a result of predictions, u acknowledged that u may have to reapply next year

What?! I have been predicted AAA... Where was this?
Reply 19
i think that i would know.

Latest

Trending

Trending