The Student Room Group

What marks are you getting in first year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got back 4 grades, 3 essays and a tutorial mark:

Politics Essay (worst grade :frown: ): D2 (45%)
Philosophy Essay: C1 (65%)
History Essay: B2 (75%)
Politics Tutorial: A2 (95%)

Unfortunately the tutorial mark is only worth 10% on this semester.

I didn't pay attention and forgot to double-space my essays in History and Philosophy. If I had double spaced, I'd have B2/B3 in Philosophy and B1 in History.

Politics was pretty harshly marked...which is making me stress out for the exams.
I've only had one properly marked essay and it was 2.1

My tutor made it obvious where I lost marks.
In my reference "anon as cited in wikipedia" was frantically circled in red :teehee: oops
Reply 22
I got an A2 (90%) for my Politics essay, which I'm extremely proud of, because I had to re-type half of the essay from memory two hours before handing it in - the bleedin' uni computer had inexplicably wiped it from the system. Elsewhere, a B2 for History and a C1 for English.
I've had 3 marks back:
A 30 min timed essay: 40% of which I am ashamed, but in all fairness i had found out that morning that my Nan's cancer was now terminal and my tutor admitted that she is the harshest marker, but upon reading it again, it was just a terrible essay.
A lab report: 60% which I was marked down because I shaded (boo) but oh well you live and learn.
And for me free module a piece of french course work: 63%, it would seem I'm better at french than I am at Biomedical Sciences lol.
So far I've got 66, 67 and 75, so pretty pleased overall!
I've had a 75 and a 71. Get one back on Tuesday morning, which I suspect will be much, much lower than that. I was quite pleasantly surprised with the 71 as it's my statistics and research methods module which I am completely hopeless at and guessed my way around the stats part of the coursework. My guesses appear to be good'uns. Ask me again when I get my marks back from my exams the week after next. I'm off to a gig in London the night before one of them (Frank Turner, wouldn't miss it for anything), and will have to drive up the M25 to Norwich the morning of it. That'll be fun.
Picked up essay number two. Got a 54% so a 2:2. Not what I was aiming for but better than a fail. Quite happy with myself. Think I might go cook some sausages as a reward :biggrin:
I wouldnt worry to much, my first year i was scoring around B+'s - C's mostly B's with my lowest being 40% on one of my modules :ninja: (A= 1:1 B+ = 2:1 B = 2:2 etc down)

However this year (year 2) i havent got anything below a high B+ so i think its a progressional thing, i wouldnt feel too down about it, year 1 is just about getting yourself ready for the rest of your degree.
A B2 (16/22) apiece for my only two essays of the semester (Politics and Comparative Literature).

38/46 on an open book online assessment for English Language.
Reply 29
Lowest was somewhere in 60s (63 maybe?) and highest in the 80s (I think). Got an average of 82 though, so was happy with that :biggrin:
Managed to get a 67 on my first assessed essay, however I got a measly 49 for my other module, though lucky it was just a diagnostic, so a 2:1 so far!
I'm averaging 65% in English (2:1) and 68% in Psychology (2:1), but I have had the odd one or two shoddy marks, so I'm lucky some of the higher marks have dragged the average grade up a bit for me. I know they say the first year doesn't really count, but I can't help but worry about it, all the same... :o:
Reply 32
fairly mixed so far, best was 90% in an assesment that was worth 10% of a chemistry module and worst 60% on a lab report for a biology module
Reply 33
Got 63% on my first essay.
Reply 34
I'm averaging 80, but that's only tests, haven't had an essay back yet.
Reply 35
My lowest has been 45% (in some essay thing - which admittedly I got confused on the topic so kinda wrote an irrelevant essay..) and highest 100% (onces in a maths assignment and another in a civ eng assignment).

My marks have improved over the semester though, I think I just had a shock from a summer from doing absolutely nothing!
Got my first mark back today. 60%, i'm quite happy with that considering it was my first essay. Just waiting for feedback now so I can improve :smile:
Reply 37
61.5% so far (2.1)

^ this was an exam essay, I'm surprised I didn't TOTALLY cock it up because my paragraphing made no sense whatsoever, w.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by veggie4life
hey guys would just love to see if there is anyone else feeling a bit put off by the marks they're getting. So far out of three essays i've got 51, 58 and 63. Everyone around me seems to be getting continued solid 2:2s which is making me feel like perhaps i'm not cut out for the course! Anyone else dealing with the world of the humble 2:2 ?

Seriously don't worry about it, it takes a while to get used to uni work. Plus it is really difficult to get a 70 or higher in humanities essays, lecturers pretty much never mark higher than 80 on principle.

As for me, in 1st year I averaged a 2.1 overall (about 61%), but that included a lot of 50-ish marks.
(edited 13 years ago)
So far 55,62,65... quite happy with them as I am doing English Literature and haven't written a proper English essay for 2 years :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending