The Student Room Group

Work experiance at Bristol Zoo

Hey guys :smile:

I've secured a 2 week placement at Bristol Zoo, working with the vet there, and I am really excited...but also quite scared!

It seems like the most amazing opportunity, as I want to be an exotic animal vet, and have just applied for biovet science with ucas.

I have always had a good medical brain, picking up knowledge from my mum (nurse) and other external sources, and I have always been an animal lover but I feel like I should know looaaddss about being a vet, I mean I watch loads of documentaries and stuff, but I just feel, unprepared for it all :s-smilie:

Is there anything you think I should definitely know/read/research before I start on Monday? I go to the zoo as a visitor regually, so I know my way around, and I know the animals...but I am still getting nervous! I Don't want to seem unprepared or stupid
Reply 1
You should know loads because you watched a few documentaries? Also, you spelled 'experience' wrong. Good luck...
Reply 2
Original post by rachelll=)
You should know loads because you watched a few documentaries? Also, you spelled 'experience' wrong. Good luck...

Do you feel helpful or better now?

I am saying I DON'T feel like I know enough, hence this post, I've learned some stuff from vet programs and documentaries, but I don't know where to look to find out more, which is what I was asking.

And I'm going to fail my work experience because I misspelled one word on the internet?

Lighten up love.
I don't think that they would expect you to know a great deal of technical information. I would just go there and try to learn as much as you can.
Reply 4
Original post by mistermeowingtons
I don't think that they would expect you to know a great deal of technical information. I would just go there and try to learn as much as you can.

Ok, that's what I was thinking :biggrin: I am gonna take my notebook at just open my brain and learn as much as physically possible lol :biggrin: I think it's just my nerves that are making me feel like I should pretty much be a nearly qualified vet, so I don't seem stupid to them!

thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Reply 5
I worked with the vets there a couple of years ago, one of the best placements ever :biggrin: Got to help/ observe with general health checks and go out with the vets around the zoo looking at sick animals! Also got to work in the lab using the microscope etc and did some post mortems :smile:

They had an awesome exotic animal book collection, good reading at lunchtimes :wink:
Original post by blahhh
I worked with the vets there a couple of years ago, one of the best placements ever :biggrin: Got to help/ observe with general health checks and go out with the vets around the zoo looking at sick animals! Also got to work in the lab using the microscope etc and did some post mortems :smile:

They had an awesome exotic animal book collection, good reading at lunchtimes :wink:

How do you get experience there?
Reply 7
Original post by heavencanwait_
How do you get experience there?

I just wrote a letter to the zoo asking if I could go! :smile:
Reply 8
wow that's such an amazing opportunity! As people have said though just take a notebook, make a good impression by being on time, smart (but functional!) and ask questions constantly, even if you think they sound silly because its the best place to learn and if in any future interviews you get asked about it you will kick yourself if you didn't ask! Have an amazing time :smile:
Reply 9
Wish I lived in Bristol. Would love work experience at a zoo like that
Reply 10
Original post by Kay17
Wish I lived in Bristol. Would love work experience at a zoo like that

Stay in a youth hostel/ B&B? etc

I live in south wales and drove back and fore everyday :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending