The Student Room Group

Choosing between two lucrative careers....

I was accepted into a Masters program at a really good school but now the doubt is starting to sink in. The program will cost me 60k in Student loans and coupled with my undergrad the grand total of higher education for me will be around 100k!

(Yes, I am American. This is why you should thank your educational system)

First degree was in Economics, and this masters program is in Environmental Studies.

I am planning on concentrating in the most technical concentration they have; Environmental Science and Policy. I plan on taking all of the hard science courses from environmental chemistry, wetlands, environmental analysis, hydrology and couple it with environmental law, land use planning, and GIS spatial analysis courses.

I am hoping to use it as a stepping stone into a City Planning Masters program or go into Environmental/Land Use Planning as a career.

The only problem is that I am nervous that the degree will not pay off as I much as I paid into it.

The other option is to complete ditch the Enviro Studies program and take the second optional degree within the department contingent on passing a couple of math pre-reqs.
The degree is in Applied Geoscience and I would learn practical applied courses in hydrology, engineering and geophysics. This one I know will pay off and will help me pay back my student loans.

I am less interested in the second degree but will do it if needed.

I really do not want to make it seem like I am just in it for the high salary but reality has set in on these student loans and I cannot stop at a bachelors for fear of little pay and the amount I already owe on it, so my only hope is a strong practical and highly marketable masters degree.

Does anyone know anything about these two fields?

thanks.
Reply 1
anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending