The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_mad
How many days have you guys missed of school other than for official reasons like going uni? I'm terribly ill and have missed the last two and kinda worried. But I guess if you're ill, you're ill - we're human after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't missed a day. However, I am aware we are allowed about 5 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
I haven't missed a day. However, I am aware we are allowed about 5 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And does that account for illnesses? I've missed three - one for an interview and two due to illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think interviews or days at uni count as an absence. Illness does though. Get well soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
I don't think interviews or days at uni count as an absence. Illness does though. Get well soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Hopefully back in action tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone thinking of doing supply after they qualify?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
And does that account for illnesses? I've missed three - one for an interview and two due to illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes 5 days for illness, interviews are separate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Back teaching today - computer malfunction meant a 60 minute lesson became a 40 minute lesson but it went ok. Second lesson went really well, quickly back in the spring of things. Got 4/5 periods teaching tomorrow so that should be stressful.

Still, once I get past my tutor coming in next week I'll see the finishing line. Just need to catch up on about 15 lesson evaluations :frown:
Original post by Steveluis10
Back teaching today - computer malfunction meant a 60 minute lesson became a 40 minute lesson but it went ok. Second lesson went really well, quickly back in the spring of things. Got 4/5 periods teaching tomorrow so that should be stressful.

Still, once I get past my tutor coming in next week I'll see the finishing line. Just need to catch up on about 15 lesson evaluations :frown:

Haha that's exactly what I'm doing now! I've been chosen for moderation, so need to get my folder up to scratch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This week has been chaos. So much to do it's not even funny.

Managed to get my assignment done (though it's not great), marked year 8 and 9 books, planned all my year 8 lessons for this week including the one my tutor is coming to see.

Still to plan:

3 x year 10 lessons
3 x year 7
3 x year 9

Evidence file to sort out for this week for third review

About 4 weeks worth of lesson evaluations to do.

30 more school days and counting :frown:
last placement is making me want to wave the little white flag! I don't know how I'm going to cope a further 8 weeks! I've cried everyday at some point :-/ and now I have kid germs! Someone put me out of my misery :-/ x
Original post by Frankenstein
last placement is making me want to wave the little white flag! I don't know how I'm going to cope a further 8 weeks! I've cried everyday at some point :-/ and now I have kid germs! Someone put me out of my misery :-/ x

I really don't want to go back 2mrw. I have 4 more weeks to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Four more weeks of constant surveillance and being told I need to be more organised etc. Slightly difficult when I have to work on weekends just to survive!
I feel so sad that governmental interference of every colour over the last years has left education in this state, where those who are coming into the profession and should be keen, eager and enthusiastic are being broken like this before they even start.
Original post by Shelly_x
Four more weeks of constant surveillance and being told I need to be more organised etc. Slightly difficult when I have to work on weekends just to survive!

Shelly we have made the most difficult part, I have no more will power it's going to be a struggle getting in tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I feel so sad that governmental interference of every colour over the last years has left education in this state, where those who are coming into the profession and should be keen, eager and enthusiastic are being broken like this before they even start.

It makes me really sad to read these comments too. I'm due to start my School Direct course in September and it's terrifying and demoralising to read about current students dreading their return to school after the holidays. I really hope my experience will be different, but it seems that this is becoming the norm. I'm dreading and looking forward to my course in equal measure now.
Original post by bellylaugh
It makes me really sad to read these comments too. I'm due to start my School Direct course in September and it's terrifying and demoralising to read about current students dreading their return to school after the holidays. I really hope my experience will be different, but it seems that this is becoming the norm. I'm dreading and looking forward to my course in equal measure now.

I really hope you have a different experience, too. I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone close to retirement and who used to be subject mentor for two universities. My PGCE experience was light years away from what is described here and it was still one of the most difficult years of my life. I certainly wouldn't have done it if I'd read this thread and unfortunately, I know what they say is true, even though I'm on the outside looking in now. I wish you all the luck in the world.:smile:
I really hope you have a different experience, too. I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone close to retirement and who used to be subject mentor for two universities. My PGCE experience was light years away from what is described here and it was still one of the most difficult years of my life. I certainly wouldn't have done it if I'd read this thread and unfortunately, I know what they say is true, even though I'm on the outside looking in now. I wish you all the luck in the world.:smile:

You are very-very kind. Thank you for supporting us, who are just about to embark on the training route or the 1st "real" teaching year.

From my perspective, I can only hope that this situation is not going to stay for too long: after all, if there is an excess of tension/pressure, it is bound to erupt in some way, forcing the situation to change. If that change will be for better or worse, no one can tell.
Original post by lantan
You are very-very kind. Thank you for supporting us, who are just about to embark on the training route or the 1st "real" teaching year.

From my perspective, I can only hope that this situation is not going to stay for too long: after all, if there is an excess of tension/pressure, it is bound to erupt in some way, forcing the situation to change. If that change will be for better or worse, no one can tell.

I've never forgotten what it's like to be in your shoes: worn out, terrified, unsure how to handle things, wondering how the hell things went wrong so quickly, not having enough time to plan things, wondering when you went from being one of us to one of them, wondering why everything you try seems to fall flat on its face at times. That's all without the endless observation, evaluation, paperwork, meaningless jargon and all the rest. I wonder how long the situation can hang together, too. And yet I see wonderful NQTs and trainees where I work and am full of admiration for them and they way they stick it out. It does get better, although I am speaking from a perspective of more than 30 years, so I'd got things together a long time before things seemed to get really stupid about 10 - 15 years ago and I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it now. Someone has to, though, because if ever there was a time when kids needed help and guidance, it's now, and the irony is that teachers are being hamstrung in their attempts to do something about it by people who have no idea at all why things are going wrong, because they don't see the day to day reality in schools. Of course, everyone's an expert on education, aren't they, because everyone went to school....
Original post by bellylaugh

Just a positive note. I absolutely agree with the regrets posted here about the way things are going policy wise; there are many problems in education and it is a tough job (made even tougher by the fact that a lot of people seem to think it's easy), without negating the hard work people in many other professions do. And I am way too early in my career (NQT) to say how it will affect my future, or to make comparisons with the past (a lot of my colleagues find the current conditions much worse because they can look back and see how much better it used to be).

But.... I had a wonderful time on my PGCE last year. Yes, there were several days throughout the year where I cried and thought 'What if I can't do this?!' and many many more where I felt exhausted and like I just didn't have time to do what I needed to. But I never considered quitting and I always felt like this was what I wanted to do. I did still see my friends every now and then, I did still have time to watch some TV and play some games (and come on TSR!). It is very very hard work but I still enjoyed it and managed it. And this year as an NQT I have become even better at managing my time (because really, that's what it's all about... managing your time and prioritising things, giving yourself a break sometimes even when things need doing) and have an even better balance. I guess what I am trying to say is, I still wouldn't say it's the norm to have horrific experiences and not want to go back in to school. Most of my peers at this point on the course were dying to get back in to school when on uni days and really were loving the teaching, even though they were all just as exhausted and stretched. I certainly didn't feel the despair expressed by some in this thread. So chances are, you will have a tough but positive experience.

Plus at least you have the element of having chosen your school (I think?) so hopefully chosen one that matches your ethos as a teacher more. A big part of people not enjoying their placements is often that they just don't gel with the school at all, and that is much less likely if you chose the school yourself.

Good luck!

xxx
Of course, everyone's an expert on education, aren't they, because everyone went to school....

I see the irony too.
Though for me the realization that I don't know anything about education in the UK came quite quickly as I was schooled in a completely different way in a different country. So I didn't have any preconceptions and was a bit like a blank paper - maybe this made things a bit easier...

I have to say with all the misery and feeling a lab-rat during this training year, I do have spells of sunshine - days when I think that I quite enjoy teaching. Just wishing there were more of them!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending