The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4080
Original post by kpwxx
Behaviour is one of the hardest things for the majority of trainees. Don't panic! It does get easier since you get to know the pupils better, start to learn strategies without having to consciously do them as much and most importantly gain confidence.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reassuring words! :-)

On a side note, I sat in my car crying my eyes out for a good 20 minutes today.. face went all red -_- and I felt like I could sit there all night.

My mentor isn't horrible but he's not the most accommodating either, I think the other trainees at my school have such friendly, organized mentors and staff, whereas mine if he sees me in the staffroom he ignores me, although he'll be happy to sit with others and have a chat, he hasn't bothered introducing me to anyone so people just think I'm that weirdo in the staffroom (I've introduced myself to many of them, they smile but its just a hi and bye), our meetings consist of him rushing as quick as possible (we should have one hour never lasts that long) and he talks over me - I've tried to brush off these little things and done well till today, think it all just built up. Hope things look up after half term.

Is this normal, for a mentor to be this way - if so please do tell me, I will stop taking it so personally!
Original post by Sam89

On a side note, I sat in my car crying my eyes out for a good 20 minutes today.. face went all red -_- and I felt like I could sit there all night.

My mentor isn't horrible but he's not the most accommodating either, I think the other trainees at my school have such friendly, organized mentors and staff, whereas mine if he sees me in the staffroom he ignores me, although he'll be happy to sit with others and have a chat, he hasn't bothered introducing me to anyone so people just think I'm that weirdo in the staffroom (I've introduced myself to many of them, they smile but its just a hi and bye), our meetings consist of him rushing as quick as possible (we should have one hour never lasts that long) and he talks over me - I've tried to brush off these little things and done well till today, think it all just built up. Hope things look up after half term.

Is this normal, for a mentor to be this way - if so please do tell me, I will stop taking it so personally!

My first mentor was kinda like that. He was very offish in that he wouldn't really ask what I needed to do or how he could help. To be fair tho, he did pick up after a while and it became better. But yeah, I never felt too comfortable in his room. But I knew it was only a few months and then I'd be out of the door. The parallel Y5 teacher was a NQT and really nice. That helped.

Keep your head up. If he's not willing to spend an hour with you, just make sure you get done what is needed in terms of feedback and comments from him. You'll be fine.

All that said, I bought him a gift at the end and he gave me a glowing reference. So it was all good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sam89

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Having been a mentor myself for quite a few years, albeit many years ago now, I think it's a shame if he can't make you feel welcome, but mentors are only human and it's the end of a very long half term. I doubt it's anything you've done. Sometimes the people picked to be mentors are not the best people for the job, but sometimes the only ones with the time to do it, and it's a shame if that's the case for you. Teaching is a very emotional job, and I'm quite sure that you are not the only one having a cry at this moment. If it's any consolation, at the equivalent point in my PGCE year I was crying because I'd just snapped and clipped one of the kids round the ear with a book! (It was more than 30 years ago, and times were different then, but it wasn't a good thing to have done!) I bet you haven't done that, so you're ahead of the game!
Reply 4083
Thank you both - honestly has made me feel so much better!

Onwards and upwards :smile:

Although may turn to you for advise again if I feel some higher level intervention is needed. I have a few mentors and I already have so much to juggle let alone learning how to cater for multiple mentors! My tutor said it's strange and he's never heard of it.. guess when the time came no one wanted to do it so they thought let's both do it so it 'lessens' the burden.
Very pleased to make it till half term :biggrin:
Reply 4085
Got my first lesson after half term. Really looking forward to it and hopefully I do well. A lot of planning to be done now though during this break.
Yes, thank god for half term. Glad for a break to just relax a bit before the big slog to xmas!
So glad to have made it to half term - what an achievement, guys!
Though I have tons if work to do...currently working on an academic poster. Having never done one before I'm struggling with the format...and have another to do after Christmas! *sigh*
(edited 9 years ago)
Glad to have an opportunity to catch up on some sleep over half term (even if I am at university for most of the weekdays, it's not as tiring as being in school). I'm really itching to get teaching now - and will be planning my first few lessons over half term - which is a good sign. My school seems incredibly disorganised, which means that I don't have an awful lot of structure to what I'm doing (I don't even have a proper timetable yet). But the pupils seem really nice and a couple of the teachers have been very supportive.

One thing that is concerning me is that I still feel quite uncomfortable, and it's showing (one of the helpful teachers remarked on it). I have some experience in schools as a teacher, and have been comfortable there, but I think the lack of support/organisation from my mentor has thrown me off. I know I need to project confidence, and that's exactly what I plan to do on returning to the school, but does anyone have any good advice for doing that? I'm a naturally nervous person, and I'm worried about stepping on teacher's toes if I start acting like a teacher in their lessons...
Original post by Peachz
You're over thinking it way too much if its taking you that long. I'm doing Schools Direct too and most lesson planning can be done in around 15 minutes provided you know what resources you have access too. I've done quite a few different tasks now. I am taking a whole class phonics class in year 2 next week and supporting on a reception one too.

We've had a lot of music lectures recently and I am very weak in that area. I am fairly confident in everything else but music is so hard. I am not at all musical so I find it v difficult. I imagine I can just blag my way through it though.

Hi,
I was discussing this with colleagues last week and would like to know how you plan in 15 minutes? Are you an experienced TA? Did you know the pupils previously?
I feel that I am using this time (while I don't have too much planning to do) to really go in depth with my planning. I'm thinking hard about what I do and I have to admit that your comment put me on a downer at first.
However, after talking to others, I know now that I am doing the right thing.
I just honestly don't understand how you even have time to fill out a lesson plan let alone anything else.
Tell me your secret!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Esmeralda4
So glad to have made it to half term - what an achievement, guys!
Though I have tons if work to do...currently working on an academic poster. Having never done one before I'm struggling with the format...and have another to do after Christmas! *sigh*

Are there any up on the walls in uni which you can have a look at for ideas?

Original post by tory88
Glad to have an opportunity to catch up on some sleep over half term (even if I am at university for most of the weekdays, it's not as tiring as being in school). I'm really itching to get teaching now - and will be planning my first few lessons over half term - which is a good sign. My school seems incredibly disorganised, which means that I don't have an awful lot of structure to what I'm doing (I don't even have a proper timetable yet). But the pupils seem really nice and a couple of the teachers have been very supportive.

One thing that is concerning me is that I still feel quite uncomfortable, and it's showing (one of the helpful teachers remarked on it). I have some experience in schools as a teacher, and have been comfortable there, but I think the lack of support/organisation from my mentor has thrown me off. I know I need to project confidence, and that's exactly what I plan to do on returning to the school, but does anyone have any good advice for doing that? I'm a naturally nervous person, and I'm worried about stepping on teacher's toes if I start acting like a teacher in their lessons...

I think the comfort is likely to just come with time. I'm naturally nervous when I first meet a group of children as I'm very aware that I'm a new person coming in, and also I respect them a lot so really want them to like and respect me- adults I don't mind quite so much, though I do tend to get along with everyone!

Your teacher will understand that you have to take charge; the children should view you as another teacher.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Are there any up on the walls in uni which you can have a look at for ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we have seen various examples so I have a good idea of how it's supposed to look. I'm just struggling to get my 'essay writing hat' off - I have far too many words crammed on the page with little room for anything else at the moment. Ha!
Of all the things I thought I'd stress about on my pgce, this is not one of them...
Very jealous of everyone who has half term off! We are in uni all week for foundation subjects and conference days... exciting stuff. Looks like other people have already started placement/assignments though (we haven't), so not too jealous. We won't even be introduced to our assignments til next week...
Finished my first week of placement. It was just a prep week, so mostly observing and helping groups with work. I read the whole class a story, which was more nerve-wracking than I thought it would be! I was so tired on Friday, lord knows what I'll be like when I actually start to teach them. Back in uni for a week over half term. Very jealous of those who are off, but it will be nice to catch up with others on the course, to compare notes. I've been really lazy this weekend, done hardly any work. I feel a bit guilty, but part of me is thinking I should make the most of the rest while I can :biggrin:
Apologies for not replying sooner, the past few days have been crazy.

Original post by Pineapple pie
What is the assignment title? Is it a reflective account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not, I have to create and hopefully teach a scheme of work on a specific topic and then write 5000 words on that.

Original post by kpwxx
As pineapple pie said, what is the assignment? None of the tasks I did for assignments had to go really well as long as I recognised the flaws, reflected and figured out how to improve.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'll think about this, I doubt I'll gain marks for doing such a dismal job.
Original post by Sam89
@Louzilla

I'm in the same position really - we have 3 assignments to complete in these few months plus these formal observations and I think the reality and pressure is setting in..

It's not as simple as I Initially thought, doubts setting in. I taught a year 9 class today and it was a tough experience, a lot of low level disruption and I really felt out of my comfort zone 30 girls do not quieten down simply when you tell them to, and the mutter a lot under their breath which is so off putting.

Year 7s where lovely and so easy to maintain behaviour, 11's on the other hand another nightmare.. hope I can cope :frown:

I know how you feel, we can do it though! :biggrin: You're more capable than you think, once it's all over we can remember these days and be happy we got through them.
Reply 4095
Original post by Peachz

Thanks for your reply (and the other person who wrote a lengthy reply which I really enjoyed reading).

I was certainly having a bit of a panic then. I'm still having doubts, but I gave myself Friday evening and Saturday this weekend entirely off, which has made my dull headache (almost) disappear. I naturally put a whole heap of pressure on myself and I know I don't need to. I still have an essay to do for uni this week that I haven't started but since it's a pass/fail issue, I'm not too concerned.

The volume of work is certainly becoming real. The lesson plans are several pages long and just thinking of ideas for lessons is something that worries me a whole lot and takes me a long time to think about what they're going to do. The scheme of work from school is so broad and I can do as I please really, which isn't something I want to do - I want to be told what to do because fundamentally, I just don't know what to do because I'm there to learn.
Has anyone here completed the PGCE Primary at Reading University, or is currently on the course? I am thinking of applying there this year and using it as my first choice. Just thought someone might be able to give me some advice :smile:
Good luck to everyone who is currently doing their PGCEs!
xx
Original post by katie543
Has anyone here completed the PGCE Primary at Reading University, or is currently on the course? I am thinking of applying there this year and using it as my first choice. Just thought someone might be able to give me some advice :smile:
Good luck to everyone who is currently doing their PGCEs!
xx

I'm there now doing it, feel free to PM me any questions!
Original post by MrsSky
Thanks for your reply (and the other person who wrote a lengthy reply which I really enjoyed reading).

I was certainly having a bit of a panic then. I'm still having doubts, but I gave myself Friday evening and Saturday this weekend entirely off, which has made my dull headache (almost) disappear. I naturally put a whole heap of pressure on myself and I know I don't need to. I still have an essay to do for uni this week that I haven't started but since it's a pass/fail issue, I'm not too concerned.

The volume of work is certainly becoming real. The lesson plans are several pages long and just thinking of ideas for lessons is something that worries me a whole lot and takes me a long time to think about what they're going to do. The scheme of work from school is so broad and I can do as I please really, which isn't something I want to do - I want to be told what to do because fundamentally, I just don't know what to do because I'm there to learn.

If you're stuck for ideas, these starter and http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/The-Plenary-Producer-Ideas-KS2-KS3-11-14-PPT-6017890/ generators are pretty good. The live on my bookmarks abr and are used by a number of other people on my course too. Quite a few of the ideas could be adapted into activities for the main lesson too. Remember that you're not there to reinvent the wheel - if you can find resources on TES or your school system etc. that do what you want then adapt them to your needs and use them.
Anyone else struggling to get going this halfterm..im loving the break a bit too much today, i managed to do my marking this afternoon but this morning was a write off of a lie in and then some good quality day time tv :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending