The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I got my uni observation tomorrow. Feeling a tad bit nervous. Also I got a chocolate and a card from my form group :wink:
I feel a bit weird for not getting emotional. I hate every single class I've had and I'll be glad to see the back of all of them!

All my teaching is done now. Tomorrow is pshe day which is a doss to be honest haha. I'll miss certain members of staff but nothing else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itstough
I'm nearing my first placement, I will pass with a satisfactory (3) grade. Others on their placements do you have your own Sims or equivalent login? I never got given one, so access to student data/putting sanctions on/contacting parents etc I had to always ask other teachers to do things for me and I felt it inhibited my overall effectiveness. In addition, if the host teacher was late for me to do the register I had to wait for them to come and log onto the computer for me.

For my second placement I will insist on being given full access so that I can see all student data, see what actions other teachers have put in place for students, I can be more proactive then.

I never got it, it was pretty standard not to on my course. We had all the necessary data available in paper format though, maybe its different for primary? You need to have folders with all the information ready for if Ofsted come in.

Also at my uni you weren't allowed to do the register. You could call it but someone from the school had to actually mark it in, as they were still responsible for the children. Similar to how we weren't allowed to help children in the toilet.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am finishing my year 6 placement tomorrow. Am so sad to be leaving! I love my school and class. Has been such an amazing experience! :-D
I can't believe the first placement is over. I'm so happy haha. It was my last day yesterday and it waz probably the happiest I've ever been there.

My mentor came back from being off sick. She was annoyed about the criticism I got on Monday about my uni observation and progress so she sent my uni an email and re did all my forms and they are so much better now. I'm seeing my uni tutor today so hopefully we can have a more positive chat!

Found out my next placement school and it looks amazing. A completely different type of school to the one I'm in now - in a good way. I'm looking forward to a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's my last day today. We progress day yesterday so that was exhausting. Today we're completely off timetable for mass and staff panto and various other Christmas activities. And we all get to wear our Christmas jumpers :biggrin:

Anyone else have essays due straight after the new year? Was ready to collapse but then remember that I really need to work on essays and now I'm a bit freaked out that they expect anything coherent from us at this point.

Original post by Airfairy
I can't believe the first placement is over. I'm so happy haha. It was my last day yesterday and it waz probably the happiest I've ever been there.

My mentor came back from being off sick. She was annoyed about the criticism I got on Monday about my uni observation and progress so she sent my uni an email and re did all my forms and they are so much better now. I'm seeing my uni tutor today so hopefully we can have a more positive chat!

Found out my next placement school and it looks amazing. A completely different type of school to the one I'm in now - in a good way. I'm looking forward to a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's brilliant! Yay for your mentor helping you out like that. You totally deserve a great next placement so I hope it works out well for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just had my meeting at uni and I passed first placement with 'good' so I'm really over the moon about that. I'd be happy to pass the course with that let alone first placement.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It's my last day today. We progress day yesterday so that was exhausting. Today we're completely off timetable for mass and staff panto and various other Christmas activities. And we all get to wear our Christmas jumpers :biggrin:

Anyone else have essays due straight after the new year? Was ready to collapse but then remember that I really need to work on essays and now I'm a bit freaked out that they expect anything coherent from us at this point.

Oh that's brilliant! Yay for your mentor helping you out like that. You totally deserve a great next placement so I hope it works out well for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: enjoy your last day! Sounds fun. Yes essays are due but I think I'm gonna wait until after Christmas to do them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just discovered that there's an assignment due in after Christmas that was set when I was signed off the other week that no-one bothered telling me about and isn't mentioned in the list of assignment deadlines either; I've already fallen behind on my work due to illness. I only actually have a week to get all this done as I had already arranged to go down south from the 28th December to the 3rd January. There's another one due in February that I wouldn't actually be able to do properly as I would've been in my placement (which I was meant to have started in October!) less than a month. I'm sick of the lack of organisation of the course and I'm seriously considering dropping out as I honestly can't see myself completing it.
Got an essay due after xmas but i am crashing out for the next few days, essay be damned!
Got a good for my first placement which im really chuffed about :smile: woop
Ugh. Got an essay back today and failed it. It didn't count so it's not the end of work though. Just annoying more than anything!

Does anyone know what happens if you fail an assignment that does count towards the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happy Christmas holidays 🎄
Original post by gemmam
I just discovered that there's an assignment due in after Christmas that was set when I was signed off the other week that no-one bothered telling me about and isn't mentioned in the list of assignment deadlines either; I've already fallen behind on my work due to illness. I only actually have a week to get all this done as I had already arranged to go down south from the 28th December to the 3rd January. There's another one due in February that I wouldn't actually be able to do properly as I would've been in my placement (which I was meant to have started in October!) less than a month. I'm sick of the lack of organisation of the course and I'm seriously considering dropping out as I honestly can't see myself completing it.

If it makes you feel better I have got 3 assignments due first week of January.

It can be done. If you didn't quit the course yet( it's already Xmas) then you have what it takes to finish the course.

Good luck :smile:
Ugh. Got an essay back today and failed it. It didn't count so it's not the end of work though. Just annoying more than anything!

Does anyone know what happens if you fail an assignment that does count towards the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

On my course you could still obtain QTS whilst failing the academic side of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red Lightning
If it makes you feel better I have got 3 assignments due first week of January.

It can be done. If you didn't quit the course yet( it's already Xmas) then you have what it takes to finish the course.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks, I guess I was just panicking I did a bit of work before and didn't take me too long so think I might be ok.
Original post by myblueheaven339
On my course you could still obtain QTS whilst failing the academic side of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did that mean you didn't get tge the pgce? So on your cv you couldn't write pgce secondary qts etc etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itstough
I'm nearing my first placement, I will pass with a satisfactory (3) grade. Others on their placements do you have your own Sims or equivalent login? I never got given one, so access to student data/putting sanctions on/contacting parents etc I had to always ask other teachers to do things for me and I felt it inhibited my overall effectiveness. In addition, if the host teacher was late for me to do the register I had to wait for them to come and log onto the computer for me.

For my second placement I will insist on being given full access so that I can see all student data, see what actions other teachers have put in place for students, I can be more proactive then.

I also haven't been given SIMS logins, which would have been really useful. I asked my mentor about it and was told it would be too comlex to switch everything over...

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my university you will just keep redoing it until you pass. Some universities give you a PgCE (Professional Grade Certificate of Education) instead of a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education), though - you'd still have QTS etc. but no masters credits.
Did that mean you didn't get tge the pgce? So on your cv you couldn't write pgce secondary qts etc etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by tory88
I also haven't been given SIMS logins, which would have been really useful. I asked my mentor about it and was told it would be too comlex to switch everything over...

At my university you will just keep redoing it until you pass. Some universities give you a PgCE (Professional Grade Certificate of Education) instead of a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education), though - you'd still have QTS etc. but no masters credits.

This. At my uni you do 'viva's, basically an interview where you have to answer questions to show that you can meet the bits which weren't shown in the essay and caused you to fail. So if you didn't show enough subject knowledge they'd ask you to explain some concepts, if you didn't show enough reflection they'd ask you to reflect then and there.
My second placement school cancelled! I have no school! Slightly panicking.
Original post by tory88

I'm pretty sure this was the case with mine too. Don't know a huge deal about it though as it wasn't relevant to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by camcam88
My second placement school cancelled! I have no school! Slightly panicking.

This happens frequently. Leave it to your provider to sort out.

Quick Reply

Latest