The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xKTx
Having had experience with the pools, they have varying (and mostly nil) results. I had one interview at a pool and nothing back from them (and neither did anyone I know, except oddly enough people who never applied to the pool in the first place!), one email about a school or just regular emails with job vacancies. They take a long time (the forms I saw weren't user friendly!) to do as well

I'm going to see what happens with them but I'm not expecting much, if that makes sense?
My main dilemma is that I need to get a job and move somewhere that I've never even been to before let alone lived in, so I feel I need as much "help" and avenues as possible because I can't just go into schools when I see a job advertised and visit as I don't live anywhere there. I plan on applying to a couple of pools over Christmas whilst I have time, then try and focus my efforts on actual schools over Easter whilst I'm not at placement then carry that on into the summer. But we shall see.
Original post by oxymoronic
I'm going to see what happens with them but I'm not expecting much, if that makes sense?
My main dilemma is that I need to get a job and move somewhere that I've never even been to before let alone lived in, so I feel I need as much "help" and avenues as possible because I can't just go into schools when I see a job advertised and visit as I don't live anywhere there. I plan on applying to a couple of pools over Christmas whilst I have time, then try and focus my efforts on actual schools over Easter whilst I'm not at placement then carry that on into the summer. But we shall see.

Fair enough, I just wanted to warn you :smile:
Reply 42
I think it depends on the person and their reasons for doing the PGCE.

I agree obviously it depends on the person, but also perhaps that's just the situation in Primary....I can't say I know anyone on my course who have just 'fallen' onto the PGCE.

A lot of people think Primary is easier than Secondary (and in terms of behaviour management it probably is, but obviously more difficult in that you have to teach a wider range of subjects)...and so you may get more of the people thinking "Oh I'll just go be a teacher, but I don't want to deal with teenagers argh!!" so go into Primary for, as you rightly say, the wrong reasons.

There are only a few people I know who have dropped out so far, and most of those have decided to go to Primary rather than drop out of teaching completely.
Reply 43
I'm scared...
Original post by dobbs

A lot of people think Primary is easier than Secondary (and in terms of behaviour management it probably is, but obviously more difficult in that you have to teach a wider range of subjects)...and so you may get more of the people thinking "Oh I'll just go be a teacher, but I don't want to deal with teenagers argh!!" so go into Primary for, as you rightly say, the wrong reasons.

True, that summarises a lot of the people on my course I'm referring to here.
They like the idea/perks of teaching, don't want to deal with the kids at secondary and think that primary will be a good option. I have to say, most of these people are mostly males who had the idea that due to their gender primary schools will be bending over backwards to employ them without realising you actually have to be a good teacher and put it the hours to get a job.

There are only a few people I know who have dropped out so far, and most of those have decided to go to Primary rather than drop out of teaching completely.

My course started off with 110 and I think we're probably down to 100 now for various reasons. Its the people who aren't dropping out who are more annoying though as its ridiculous being on placement with someone who thinks its acceptable to turn up 5-10 mins before the kids do and go home 5 mins after they do, go to no staff meetings and spend their entire time in the staff room at lunch rather than getting some prep done (and they do nothing at home) yet still manage to arrive back to class late. This is the situation I'm in at the moment whereby the school has basically said to them that "you're going to fail if you don't get your act together" but they haven't as they don't see the point as they don't want to teach anyway, its just something to do. I don't know whether its just my uni but this isn't a one off. Its just a shame these people are such good talkers so got onto the course in the first place!
Totally know how you feel OP. On top of everything else I had massive problems with the teachers at school being total dicks to me and was so close to cracking this term.
Original post by dobbs
I agree obviously it depends on the person, but also perhaps that's just the situation in Primary....I can't say I know anyone on my course who have just 'fallen' onto the PGCE.

I am sure you are aware of this but just a warning, job applications cannot be done in 'blocks' i.e. when you have time at christmas and then at Easter. The majority of NQT jobs start appearing feb/march/april time. Some have very short times for applying. Just a little word of advice as i know someone on my course who just thought he could fill out lots of applications over easter and find a job, and he never did!
Reply 47
Original post by caroline_p3
I am sure you are aware of this but just a warning, job applications cannot be done in 'blocks' i.e. when you have time at christmas and then at Easter. The majority of NQT jobs start appearing feb/march/april time. Some have very short times for applying. Just a little word of advice as i know someone on my course who just thought he could fill out lots of applications over easter and find a job, and he never did!

Sorry, are you sure you've quoted the right person there? :confused: I never mentioned anything about applications or "blocks"??
sorry i didn't mean to quote you that was meant for oxymoronic .

sorry i didn't mean to quote you that was meant for oxymoronic .

Yes I know and I didn't propose that I thought I could just do stuff in the holidays... as I don't get holidays on my course anyway :p: If I can get my pool apps done now then I will and then I can concentrate on applying to specific school ones when they actually come out as it'll be after the deadline for the pool apps as they're all from late Jan to late Feb, so I may as well get them out the way over Christmas whilst I do actually have a wee bit of time. Like I said, I have the difficulty that I don't live or have connections in the area I need to find a job in meaning I can't just pop into a school to visit when I see one advertised which I know will disadvantage me so I want to try and apply to pools as well because I feel I need to go down as many avenues as I can... but its going to be an ongoing job application process from the end of March onwards.. I'm like a million times ahead of everyone else on my course and will probs end up without a job, but c'est la vie! :smile:
I personally think the PGCE workload is quite hyped up. I have just finished term 1 of primary PGCE and am a bit bored of people on my course complaining about the workload. I think the problem is that most of them have come straight from under grad courses and yes, it's a bit step up from that, but as someone else said, welcome to the real world. Compared to my old job this is not that bad. I used to work 10 hours a day 5 days a week including Sundays, and it was quite stressful. I'm really not finding PGCE so bad.

That said, I'm not having to do as much as some people on this thread - my uni was assessed last year by ofsted and were told we had too much work, so they've massively cut it down this year. This pastoral care is excellent and they're really focused on the work making us better teachers - not just essays for the sake of essays, which it sounds like some people get.
Yes I know and I didn't propose that I thought I could just do stuff in the holidays... as I don't get holidays on my course anyway :p: If I can get my pool apps done now then I will and then I can concentrate on applying to specific school ones when they actually come out as it'll be after the deadline for the pool apps as they're all from late Jan to late Feb, so I may as well get them out the way over Christmas whilst I do actually have a wee bit of time. Like I said, I have the difficulty that I don't live or have connections in the area I need to find a job in meaning I can't just pop into a school to visit when I see one advertised which I know will disadvantage me so I want to try and apply to pools as well because I feel I need to go down as many avenues as I can... but its going to be an ongoing job application process from the end of March onwards.. I'm like a million times ahead of everyone else on my course and will probs end up without a job, but c'est la vie! :smile:

Are you primary or secondary?
I wouldn't worry too much about visiting schools, for the sake of looking 'interested' that is, fair enough if you want to see if you personally like the school but i don't think you can really tell much but a walk around in 10-20 mins!!
Yes people say it is good to look around and shows your interest but i got 6 interviews last year and got offered 2 jobs in schools i never ever looked around until interview day!
Reply 52
Are you primary or secondary?
I wouldn't worry too much about visiting schools, for the sake of looking 'interested' that is, fair enough if you want to see if you personally like the school but i don't think you can really tell much but a walk around in 10-20 mins!!
Yes people say it is good to look around and shows your interest but i got 6 interviews last year and got offered 2 jobs in schools i never ever looked around until interview day!

Yes it may not be useful in gaining a place but I, and many others I'm sure, don't want to work at a school that we don't like. You may not be able to tell loads of a school from a walk around it but it's a lot more on top of what you can learn from their website / Ofsted.

I certainly would like to visit schools prior to interviews and I know that our tutors have encouraged it if it's possible to do. I don't want to accept a job at a school that I later find I really don't like.
Original post by dobbs
Yes it may not be useful in gaining a place but I, and many others I'm sure, don't want to work at a school that we don't like. You may not be able to tell loads of a school from a walk around it but it's a lot more on top of what you can learn from their website / Ofsted.

I certainly would like to visit schools prior to interviews and I know that our tutors have encouraged it if it's possible to do. I don't want to accept a job at a school that I later find I really don't like.

]

Fair enough everyone is different, that was just my personal experience and opinion. Yes all uni tutors will encourage it, although i have never met a teacher who has said it will give you more of a chance over anyone else.

In regards to accepting a job in a school you don't like - you will have spent a whole day in a school before getting offered the job so you get a feel for the place then.

It is important to find a school you will like - the school as to be right for you or you could find yourself unhappy. But also don't be too picky - latest stats are that 50% of 2010 NQTs are still looking for a job!

Good luck
Reply 54
]

Fair enough everyone is different, that was just my personal experience and opinion. Yes all uni tutors will encourage it, although i have never met a teacher who has said it will give you more of a chance over anyone else.

In regards to accepting a job in a school you don't like - you will have spent a whole day in a school before getting offered the job so you get a feel for the place then.

It is important to find a school you will like - the school as to be right for you or you could find yourself unhappy. But also don't be too picky - latest stats are that 50% of 2010 NQTs are still looking for a job!

Good luck

I have actually heard of schools who have discarded (I couldnt beleive it myself, but this was from a staff member!) applications from those who didnt look around. Down here jobs are crazy competitive so it becomes just another thing to hold aganist applicants, and all of my interviews bar one (which didnt allow visits from any applicants anyway) and my current job were all ones I had visited beforehand. Visits can be time consuming, ive travelled over an hour plus to go and spend barely 20 mins looking around some schools, but worth it if they pay off.
Also found from visiting you can ask any question you have, and can incorporate anything you learn from the tour in your letter/personal statement to show how you could help/interests and fit into the school. You learn alot more about the job descrip when at the school, and its definately stopped me sending some applications when I could see It wasnt what I was after/didnt fit what they were looking for. However, if you cant visit - give them a ring instead, have a chat with the headmaster which shows interest and can help you ask all your questions etc.

But if you dont get the chance to look around, as said on the interview day you have the right to withdraw from the interview proceedings if you dont feel the school is right for you.

The job situation stuff is hard, especially trying to do apps while on the PGCE which I really didnt keep on top of.. but you just have to keep at it. Worst case scenario you fnish without a job for the september like I did.. I thought it was the end of the world, but ended up working supply for the year and has made me a much more confident teacher! (and an expert at applications..hehe) and finally secured a job in amazing school for jan.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah I agree that looking around schools is useful - altho difficult if it's really far away! Schools are likely to understand in that situation. Visits are a good way of asking a load of questions and as the above poster said, tailoring your statement to the school. You can get an idea of the school and the staff (particularly important as an NQT!)
Reply 56
]

Yeah obviously there are loads of factors - distance, whether they allow it, etc.

But to pick up on that stat - yes I'm sure it's true but that's only half of the story because it will vary significantly between subjects, I don't expect anyone who I know doing maths or science to struggle greatly in finding a job whereas some others (not naming them!) could really find it impossible, especially with the introduction of the new national curriculum.
Okay, okay. I've had some weird negs in the last few days including those taking offence at my rating left handed people and the fact that my mother is dead, but I brushed them off. But this is just bizarre, who on earth negged me for my last post in this thread? I don't care about the points, I just wish I knew why??
Reply 58
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
Okay, okay. I've had some weird negs in the last few days including those taking offence at my rating left handed people and the fact that my mother is dead, but I brushed them off. But this is just bizarre, who on earth negged me for my last post in this thread? I don't care about the points, I just wish I knew why??

Random...pos rep given to balance it out :biggrin:

You "rated left handed people?" haha...gotta check that post out! :tongue:
Original post by Kidders
Now into my 3rd month of the secondary PGCE course and i can honestly say i have never looked forward to Xmas quite as much as i currently am! This has been the hardest few months i have ever experienced. Such a massive amount of work to be done all the time. Lesson plans still taking me hours and I'm never more than a day ahead of myself! Assignment due in 2 weeks and not even beyond the introduction. Getting home at 5pm every night due to the distance of my placement school and leaving at 7:20am every morning. Weekends written off and relationship with my partner suffering!

Anyone else feel this way too?

Also a little reminder to all those wanting to apply for next year; this is CERTAINLY not an option for you if you're doing it just to put off finding a job! HUGE step up from undergrad degree!! (i think the MA students are a little better prepared)

Rant over. :colondollar:

Get these books, they'll reduce your time spent on lesson planning:

The Essential Guide to Lesson Planning

Teacher's Toolkit

Classroom Starters and Plenaries

Quick Reply