The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by affinity89
I have not been putting a lot in my record of achievement/standards document as my STCC told us not to fuss. I have at least one - often two or three, sometimes even four or five - things listed in each box but I haven't been that specific. If it is lecture based, I have, but somethings will run over an entire placement. I think I will want to go over it all again though, during half term, just to cover my back. :redface:

Hmm, I think I am just going to take everything up to uni for the conference days and just do it in that night, I am sure some of the same pieces of evidence can be used again, it will just be a long night!

Re-enhancement. He told us originally that he would sort it out when we had our mid-term report. That was two weeks ago. No mention of it since. Plus, one of the other students in my school has now chirped up that he wants EYFS [even though he has a job teaching Yr5 next year], so there is some competition now. Pfft... To be honest, I think the best bit of enhancement would be letting me sleep! These 6am starts are getting to me. :redface:

That's a bit off, you'd think he'd just let others who aren't employed have first pick (sounds like he's already thinking about leadership :tongue: ) I hope you get it! Would be nice to do something you actually want!

We don't have enhancement, we did a creative placement where we took over the school for a week to do a creative curriculum against a main stimulus so I suppose that counts!

I started off having a really rubbish week this week but actually it's turned out pretty great! Not sure why, just feel happy! (perhaps it's the sun!)
This week has been really, really bad.

The atmosphere at school is awful. Absolutely awful. Things have been kicking off with the head upsetting every single member of staff. A bull going on a rampage around the place could cause less upset! As a result, everyone is feeling rubbish and you can cut the tension with a knife.

I am so fed up!

29 years experience has told me that this happens every year. To take a cynical view, once the year 11s and sixth form have left, with whom everything has been tried and nothing much can change them, the heads seem to get a second wind and decide to crack down to stop the lower years getting out of hand. Let it wash over you, especially as I believe you've said you're not going into teaching anyway.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
29 years experience has told me that this happens every year. To take a cynical view, once the year 11s and sixth form have left, with whom everything has been tried and nothing much can change them, the heads seem to get a second wind and decide to crack down to stop the lower years getting out of hand. Let it wash over you, especially as I believe you've said you're not going into teaching anyway.

It is a primary school, but I understand your point. :smile:

To be honest, the head is a bit of a character with an inability to give feedback in a constructive way. A lot of former students and some current staff members have ended up either shouting at him in response or crying. He is a character for sure!

I know why the he is making things so awkward atm though. There is a lot going on at the moment - a lot of behind the scenes changes etc.

Getting excited to be finished now. :biggrin:
1 week teaching.
1 week uni/essaying.
1 week teaching.
2 weeks enhancement.
3 days in uni.

In 7 weeks, I am going on holiday - first holiday abroad in around three years. So excited! :smile:
It is a primary school, but I understand your point. :smile:

To be honest, the head is a bit of a character with an inability to give feedback in a constructive way. A lot of former students and some current staff members have ended up either shouting at him in response or crying. He is a character for sure!

I know why the he is making things so awkward atm though. There is a lot going on at the moment - a lot of behind the scenes changes etc.

Getting excited to be finished now. :biggrin:
1 week teaching.
1 week uni/essaying.
1 week teaching.
2 weeks enhancement.
3 days in uni.

In 7 weeks, I am going on holiday - first holiday abroad in around three years. So excited! :smile:

Forgot it was primary, sorry. I imagine the same applies - too late to change the year 6s, so hit the year 5s harder. All heads have a bit of a screw loose, because nobody in their right mind would do the job, and it's been a hot week with the additional disadvantage of being the one before the last week of a half term. For some reason, that's often a flashpoint.

I'm glad you've got something to look forward to, and I really commend you for not throwing in the towel even though you've already decided not to carry on into the profession. It's very creditable. You'll look back on this and laugh some day.:smile:
Forgot it was primary, sorry. I imagine the same applies - too late to change the year 6s, so hit the year 5s harder. All heads have a bit of a screw loose, because nobody in their right mind would do the job, and it's been a hot week with the additional disadvantage of being the one before the last week of a half term. For some reason, that's often a flashpoint.

I'm glad you've got something to look forward to, and I really commend you for not throwing in the towel even though you've already decided not to carry on into the profession. It's very creditable. You'll look back on this and laugh some day.:smile:

Thanks. :redface:

Despite the work and the hours [the fact that getting into school for 7.10am feels rebellious lol, as it means you are the last one in that day], I am enjoying this placement. The children are great and I feel much more like "the" teacher this time. I am under no doubts - I will miss my class once I finish. :smile:
Reply 1245
Time to check in:

There's still 3 and a half weeks of teaching left (excluding half term) but my timetable's dwindled due to exam classes and the pressure from teaching's dissipating. Planning takes a fraction of the time that it used to and this placement's been a breeze compared to the other. The school has informally passed me in terms of the placement requirements of the PGCE ahead of the official audit just after half term.

I've now sorted my NQT job for next year! Not necessarily the area I was originally planning for but the school, department and headteacher are fantastic and I had a really positive day. Secondary's obviously different to primary, but it's good to know that the jobs are still out there.

I'm currently flailing in writing my final paper. It's due on Monday evening. I've still 3750 words to write and it's already Saturday afternoon. I need the copy to be finished by tomorrow night because I'm teaching on Monday so will only have frees, lunch time and after school in which to edit and sort out the Appendix. I should really be thinking about it as 50 more hours of hell until I've passed the academic side of the course but I just can't settle myself down to write.

So. Nearly there. But I'm stuck inside trying to scrabble together an acceptable paper that'll achieve Masters credits when it's gorgeous outside and by rights I should be lounging around at college/in univ parks drinking Pimm's...
Really can't get my head around my interview lesson for Monday (was told about it Thursday afternoon & taught most of Friday so no real chance to think through it)- it's 25 minutes which has thrown me, yet they've asked me to essentially cover two learning outcomes which could easily take two lessons! The stuff that's in the text book follows a decent pattern but can't be condensed.

This is really evil because I think I stand a good chance at this school yet I'm bound to blow it due to being confused by the lesson :/ I'm sure I can still show that I have a good rapport with the students within 25 minutes, it's just that if I'm wrapped up in the lesson content it won't be particularly obvious!

Theoretically I have tomorrow to prepare but I'm travelling and can't print a copy of my lesson plan so it has to be done by today. All I have is a starter and plenary- the middle 15 minutes are blank :frown:
Original post by noodles!
Really can't get my head around my interview lesson for Monday (was told about it Thursday afternoon & taught most of Friday so no real chance to think through it)- it's 25 minutes which has thrown me, yet they've asked me to essentially cover two learning outcomes which could easily take two lessons! The stuff that's in the text book follows a decent pattern but can't be condensed.

This is really evil because I think I stand a good chance at this school yet I'm bound to blow it due to being confused by the lesson :/ I'm sure I can still show that I have a good rapport with the students within 25 minutes, it's just that if I'm wrapped up in the lesson content it won't be particularly obvious!

Theoretically I have tomorrow to prepare but I'm travelling and can't print a copy of my lesson plan so it has to be done by today. All I have is a starter and plenary- the middle 15 minutes are blank :frown:

What's the objective?
Original post by Becca
What's the objective?

The two objectives are "talking about soap opera characters" (basically recycling personality descriptions) and "using formal and informal language".

I've gone for a starter to get them thinking about personality descriptions, looking at the characters the book provides briefly, then giving them a sample opinion and leaving them to choose a character and describe them (with the differentiation being the more able can extend it slightly using past tense to say what the character was like yesterday, and the less able can adapt it). Then there are 2 e-mails in the book- one uses formal language, one informal- so there's only time to have a look and a brief discussion about which is which and why that is. Then my plenary will probably be asking the class to say if they met the objectives, and the briefest of quizzes if time.

I really wish I'd had the full hour (if not two)... so much to do with this topic and a generally high ability group!
The two objectives are "talking about soap opera characters" (basically recycling personality descriptions) and "using formal and informal language".

I've gone for a starter to get them thinking about personality descriptions, looking at the characters the book provides briefly, then giving them a sample opinion and leaving them to choose a character and describe them (with the differentiation being the more able can extend it slightly using past tense to say what the character was like yesterday, and the less able can adapt it). Then there are 2 e-mails in the book- one uses formal language, one informal- so there's only time to have a look and a brief discussion about which is which and why that is. Then my plenary will probably be asking the class to say if they met the objectives, and the briefest of quizzes if time.

I really wish I'd had the full hour (if not two)... so much to do with this topic and a generally high ability group!

If you are trying to squash a lot in, something quick and whizzy I do for interview lesson plenaries is to put on the board 3 statements on red, amber and green: red is something like "i didn't meet my objective at all", amber is "it was hard but i eventually made progress" and green is "i made progress" and then you give them all a post-it and get them to write on it something they learnt, and stick it on the correct coloured piece of card for how much progress they made as they leave the room. Only takes a few minutes and they get which card to stick their post-it on as it's really visual :smile:
Good luck for tomorrow Noodles, I've also got an interview. Very nervous!

Maybe you could get them thinking about the formal/informal thing already in the starter with a sorting activity? Give then a bunch of sample phrases and get them to sort into formal and informal. That way you kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Then get them to do pair/group discussion work on the texts in the book, picking out the things which make them formal/informal.
I like suzanathema's plenary idea, or you could do a quiz - you flash up a phrase on the whiteboard/hold up a card/whatever. They hold up red for formal, green for informal then you quiz them verbally on why they picked that?
Just had my interview, now waiting phone in hand for 'the call'! I found out there were over 200 applications and it was short-listed to 4, so really pleased about that. I think it went well, lesson and task, even the interview but there always better ways of answering questions (thought about them all in the car home! :rolleyes:) Wish me luck!

Also lots of luck to Noodles! :smile:
Original post by balloon_parade
Just had my interview, now waiting phone in hand for 'the call'! I found out there were over 200 applications and it was short-listed to 4, so really pleased about that. I think it went well, lesson and task, even the interview but there always better ways of answering questions (thought about them all in the car home! :rolleyes:) Wish me luck!

Good luck! The waiting is horrible, but at least in (state school) teaching they don't keep you waiting for very long. Fingers crossed for all of you.:biggrin:
Keeping my fingers crossed for those with interviews. Good luck. :smile:

Had a bit of a 'I'm fed up' day. I am getting so incredibly bored with the whole thing. Lesson planning, resource making, photocopying, marking, reflections, assessment. Urgh. It is so tedius. :frown:
I can't for it to be over!
Keeping my fingers crossed for those with interviews. Good luck. :smile:

Had a bit of a 'I'm fed up' day. I am getting so incredibly bored with the whole thing. Lesson planning, resource making, photocopying, marking, reflections, assessment. Urgh. It is so tedius. :frown:
I can't for it to be over!

Me neither. I can retire in between 3 to 7 years! Yay!
Good luck! The waiting is horrible, but at least in (state school) teaching they don't keep you waiting for very long. Fingers crossed for all of you.:biggrin:

Didn't get it! :frown: Really gutted! Got whittled down from over 200 applicants to be pipped to the post to an teacher who has just started doing supply there. Was told by the head "If there are any other jobs then please, please apply" so not sure if that means there will be another coming up or not and also that he'd love to have me on supply so I guess there are positives! Just feels like all that effort for nothing! Still waiting on the official feedback so hopefully that will give me something to work on for next time (if I manage to get shortlisted again!)

Not looking forward to going back to school tomorrow, really want it done and dusted now, I want to be back in early years. Tutor is coming to sign me off tomorrow so hopefully that will go well and I can start winding down, just totally exhausted! Eugh, I need a pick me up and it's too hot for chocolate!
Original post by balloon_parade

Good luck!
Really did well to get down to the last 4 if nothing else. 200 is a ridiculous figure! That said, the head at my school told me that they'd had nearly 400 applicants to one job about a year or so ago.

Keep us posted! :smile:

edit: oops, I must have been posting a reply as you posted your second. Sorry to hear you didn't get it :hugs: but experience is better than no experience. Make sure you get that feedback, it's really valuable. Pester them for it, if you have to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Still waiting... Guess no news is news in this case, and certainly don't think I'll hear til tomorrow now. Expecting a no though so it's fine I guess. When do I give up and start applying for supermarkets??
Original post by Stray_talk
Good luck!
Really did well to get down to the last 4 if nothing else. 200 is a ridiculous figure! That said, the head at my school told me that they'd had nearly 400 applicants to one job about a year or so ago.

Keep us posted! :smile:

edit: oops, I must have been posting a reply as you posted your second. Sorry to hear you didn't get it :hugs: but experience is better than no experience. Make sure you get that feedback, it's really valuable. Pester them for it, if you have to.

Thank you! I'm just exhausted from the whole process! I will be pestering them at lunch tomorrow, might even just ask them to email if it's easier! Hopefully this feeling of utter disappointment will go away soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending