The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Official 'I'm firming Leicester 2011' thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by miss_snm
I'm firming Leicester
It's my first choice and I was soo happy when i checked UCAS to see the offer :biggrin:

Cool :smile: for which subject?
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
i have some accommodation questions if anyone knows the answers! :smile:

when does accommodation open for applications? i heard march sometime but is there a specific date?
if you have an unconditional offer and you firm leicester, is your accommodation allocated straight away or do you have to wait until the summer like everyone else?
if most people at leicester are catered, are there any disadvantages to being self-catered from a social point of view?
Reply 62
Original post by grape:)
Cool :smile: for which subject?

Criminology :smile:
Have you received a letter with a welcome pack?
I have no idea what accommodation to get..I'm so confused :s-smilie:
Reply 63
Anyone thinking of applying for Digby? My sister is a fresher there and she loves it. She says it has a great atmosphere! :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by klr92
Definitely firming Leicester for Film Studies and the Visual Arts. Had an insane night up there few weeks back, and going back up there for my 19th! Best thing is the insanely cheap taxis haha :smile:

Haha same lol. and taxi's were like £2.50!!
Reply 65
I'm most likely firming it for Genetics :smile:
Anyone going to the applicant day on the 19th of February?:biggrin:

Original post by Wedgely
Anyone thinking of applying for Digby? My sister is a fresher there and she loves it. She says it has a great atmosphere! :smile:

Really? I didn't hear good stuff from Digby, due to the fact that it's old, there isn't much inside and you have to go to Beaumont for food.
Reply 67
Original post by The Cornerstone
Anyone going to the applicant day on the 19th of February?:biggrin:

I am! Sorry I forgot to reply to your post on my wall, I'll be there! :biggrin:

Original post by Wilzyy
I'm most likely firming it for Genetics :smile:

Awesome :smile:

Original post by miss_snm
Criminology :smile:
Have you received a letter with a welcome pack?
I have no idea what accommodation to get..I'm so confused :s-smilie:

I haven't received an information pack :emo: but I do have a friend called Sam who will be on your course, and she's lovely :smile:

I've chosen which accommodation I'll choose :smile:
Original post by grape:)
I am! Sorry I forgot to reply to your post on my wall, I'll be there! :biggrin:

That's cool, see you there:biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by The Cornerstone
That's cool, see you there:biggrin:

:party: woo :smile:
Reply 70
is anybody else firming for film studies?

or anyone looking to stay in mary gee? cheap and cheerful :smile:
Juts Firm'd Computer science at Leicester :biggrin:

So now what....do i just wait :biggrin:?
Reply 72
Original post by antipesto93
Juts Firm'd Computer science at Leicester :biggrin:

So now what....do i just wait :biggrin:?

Have you been to a UCAS applicants day or are you are firming them 'blind'... so to speak. If so what did you think to the department?

I've been to one open day last year but I'm hoping to get to another before I decide if they are my firm or not.

I applied for Computing but I want to investigate the chances of switching to Computer Science (preferably the 4 year MComp course), before making a final decision.
Original post by BigV
Have you been to a UCAS applicants day or are you are firming them 'blind'... so to speak. If so what did you think to the department?

I've been to one open day last year but I'm hoping to get to another before I decide if they are my firm or not.

I applied for Computing but I want to investigate the chances of switching to Computer Science (preferably the 4 year MComp course), before making a final decision.

I went to the general open day, Its alot of effort for me to get there for the UCAS open day from london :frown:

I hear the ucas open day and open day are kind of similar, I liked the department, in the sense that they seemed a lot more professional that Nottingham or Surrey

the way i understand it is(to be blunt) that Computing is a slightly 'Easer' version, with less maths? And you can actually change between computing and computer science as many modules are shared.
Reply 74
Original post by antipesto93
I went to the general open day, Its alot of effort for me to get there for the UCAS open day from london :frown:

the way i understand it is(to be blunt) that Computing is a slightly 'Easer' version, with less maths? And you can actually change between computing and computer science as many modules are shared.

That is my understanding too.
I also hear the Computing course is a bit more IT/Business related - I have no real interest in that end of things, I would prefer to learn about the more technical stuff.

I mainly picked the Computing course because it sounded a bit less full on and the entry requirements were lower........... but now I'm doing better than I expected with my currrent course and I think I will be fine with the maths in CS. (Leicester seem to be one of the few decent Unis that don't insist on A-level maths as well)

I'm pretty sure they allow switching, but I need to make sure it isn't a big deal to switch before I firm.

I don't want to just phone up admissions and ask incase they withdraw my offer or something. :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by BigV
That is my understanding too.
I also hear the Computing course is a bit more IT/Business related - I have no real interest in that end of things, I would prefer to learn about the more technical stuff.

I mainly picked the Computing course because it sounded a bit less full on and the entry requirements were lower........... but now I'm doing better than I expected with my currrent course and I think I will be fine with the maths in CS. (Leicester seem to be one of the few decent Unis that don't insist on A-level maths as well)

I'm pretty sure they allow switching, but I need to make sure it isn't a big deal to switch before I firm.

I don't want to just phone up admissions and ask incase they withdraw my offer or something. :redface:

yeah that's understandable, I only did AS maths so was really limited in my uni options, was surprised Leicester didn't need it :biggrin:
put Nottingham down as my insurance (BBC !!! )

Somone i know transferred to another course just by calling up the uni (Education > Psychology)
and they didn't make much of a fuss
Reply 76
Original post by xxamixx31
Ahhh I've got my offer for this course too but I'm stuck on whether to firm it or not! I'm stuck between Leicester and Reading! Have you been to the uni? I've not been to an open day yet so I don't want to firm it when I've not been?! Do you have any idea what the area is actually like?!
:smile::smile::smile:

OMGG i'm exactly in the same position as you, I'm going to the open day on the 19th Feb so i'll probably decide then. Reading looks lovely but I think the night life at Leicester is better. I got an offer to study Economics L102, what are you hoping to study there?
Reply 77
Original post by paps69
OMGG i'm exactly in the same position as you, I'm going to the open day on the 19th Feb so i'll probably decide then. Reading looks lovely but I think the night life at Leicester is better. I got an offer to study Economics L102, what are you hoping to study there?

Im hoping to study psychology with sociology....I firmed Leciester yesterday!!!! Scary stuff. I just think Leicester has the better reputation which is going to be the most important thing with the economy as it is at the moment....I have an invite to an open day on March 30th but it'll be pretty pointless if I go because I've already firmed it and need to apply for accommoation asap :/ xx
Reply 78
Are you not going to the sociology day on th 23rd? :smile:
Reply 79
Is anyone going to the Applicant day on 19th March? Think i should of chosen one earlier really.

and also when can we start applying for accommodation? I'm completely lost in this area lol :s
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending