The Student Room Group

World of Warcraft players...

Where are these people in real life? After reading some articles etc by some players, I really wonder how these sub-humans are going to fit into the real world. They obsess over a fictional world, thinking it is the best thing ever, and have views which can only be described as socially inept.
Of course this is a sweeping statement, but having had 1st hand experience of the game, I know these people exist. So what do they do with their lives? Do they realise that WoW isn't real and enter a coma until their body gives in? They seem beyond repair, but hey, maybe they're not?
So, how do WoW players fit into the real world? Have you ever come across one? Maybe you are one?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I used to be one. You're view on WoW players seem a little brain-washed and highly media based.
Sure, my social skills aren't up to scratch but what do you expect after sitting alone for 12 hours a day for a few years?
Reply 2
allow you, your just jealous because my goblin is level 202 and my wood chopping ability is untested.
Original post by adam_zed
allow you, your just jealous because my goblin is level 202 and my wood chopping ability is untested.

Wood chopping is a runescape skill. nooob. xd /sarcasm
They end up being a little weird...

I've never played WOW, but my boyfriends cousin is a "player". And he is socially able. Has a gorgeous girlfriend, goes to the gym a lot and works as a builder. He's a normal person. He just goes home and plays WoW at the end of the day? But maybe he's not hard core enough...
Reply 6
Original post by Excandersham
Wood chopping is a runescape skill. nooob. xd /sarcasm

lol my bad. nonetheless, I still think the OP is being a quite harsh to those that play WoW (which as you can tell isnt me) although he says it in a funny way at least.
is this thread serious or an attempt at humour?
Troll.

Haha, oh wow. I know many WoW players in real life and most seem pretty fine to me, disregarding how quiet some of them are. I think you're over estimating the impact a game can have on an individual.

I'm curious as to where Call of Duty players are going to go in the real world? Is Call of Duty breeding the a generation of people who will be handicapped on the same level, albeit socially & not physically, as thalidomide children? From what I've seen & heard, the answer is a resounding yes.

The same can be said about ANY game. Perhaps you didn't like playing World of Warcraft? Found it to hard to reach the level cap? Or had some bad experiences in-game? Either way, I played World of Warcraft for about 3/4 of a man year. Not something I am particularly proud of but after quitting 6 months ago I'm just as normal as you or anyone else.
I play wow, I just don't yell about it at the top of my voice because of ***** like you.

Your views are media based, otherwise you would of realised that people do the same thing with any and every other hobby there is out there, i.e Fishing, boat-building, console gaming, painting, writing, exercising, skating, ski-ing etc, i could go on.

There will always be those hardcore fanatics who want to do nothing but their hobby, the trick is is to not stereotype every other person who does the same hobby.
(edited 13 years ago)
You know that over 15 million people play WoW? Can you seriously generalise, *15 million* people? No.
I know one person who used to play CoD and he was normal. Hot girlfriend, worked out a lot, pretty normal. But he's out numbered by the amount of socially inept CoD players I know - one is a depressive who says nothing for days at a time, breaking it up with the occasional "umph" and has been unemployed for 2 years. Another I know is "that kid who stinks like ****", and the other hid in her room for 3 years whilst playing CoD, made no friends at uni and looks as happy as a funeral.
Reply 12
yes, because the CS/COD psychos are so much cooler.
>Posting on a internet forum in video game section
>Implying he's not odd.
Original post by 01010000 01001010
>Posting on a internet forum in video game section
>Implying he's not odd.

Yo, lets keep 4chan for 4chan.
Reply 15
Well ladies and gentlemen, have no fear.
Its one of the hardest worlds in the game to crack
So take a load off, get a beer.
Blizzards gettin' ready to retake you're life back...
Reply 16
Nothing wrong with any computer game/fantasy dressing up in the woods.

Its all just for fun anyway and as long as it doesn't take over your life its all good. Most people on MMORPG's who show the traits you speak of are usually geeky types who engage in gaming competition and see WoW as their domain, much like a bodybuilder sees the gym he goes to every day as domain with his clan of builders completing dumbbell quests... lol

Its quite a competitive world where like minded individuals escape to. Just like the man whos arms exploded or the alcoholic in the pub anyone can abuse their escape from reality. Its just easier to fall into in your warm bedroom infront of your computer.
Reply 17
i don't know what that game looks like but there was this kid who came into our lectures and did nothing but sit on his laptop and play this game moving a character around, killing stuff and picking up other stuff. he was short, kept his head down, walked very fast clutching his laptop bag and holding it across his front as if to protect himself or his laptop, had long hair, and looked weird. haven't seen him in the second year so far so i guess he's either killed himself or dropped out of uni for one raison or another.
Reply 18
I am a Wow player myself (Well not for 2 months) and also play CoD
I still seem to be able to enjoy myself going out with friends and being generally social at University, I'll sit next to anyone and start chatting, is this an indication of how socially inept I am?
You're an idiot. I don't play WoW btw, so yeah, your point isn't becoming relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest