The Student Room Group

Not sure I've made the right decision- Photography or Politics

Hi all, I've just filled out my UCAS but I'm really worried that I've chosen the wrong degree. A bit of background info; I only got 3 AS levels, which were English Lit, Photography and Politics. At this point I was still set on Photography. So I looked into a foundation, which is what I'm studying now. I carried on the 3 subjects to A2, but ended up dropping English Lit just before Xmas (I hated the teachers, felt I sucked at the subject. B at AS but my mock A2 exams went badly). I was so set on Photography I thought it would be fine only doing 2.

Studying American politics at A2 made me realise how much I love Politics. As sad as it sounds I actually liked revising for the exams, and ended up with 81% and 96% in the exams (A overall). My photography went downhill, I was predicted a C in Politics and an A in Photography. Ended up with a C in Photography (E in the exam) and an A in Politics. All of this confused me, but at this point I had already been successful in getting a place on an art foundation so I thought I'd give it a go. I feel like I should really be studying Politics at uni, but what uni would take someone with 2 A levels and mediocre grades :frown: I've applied for photography, and I do love it but I think I'm rubbish at it, I lack any motivation to attend classes on my current course and feel like my heart's not really in it because of my lack of talent.

Any advice? My main issue is my parents wont support me if I decide I want to study politics, because they've supported me so much in doing photography. Now I'm just confused :frown: I was looking into finishing A2 english on a gap year, but I really want to go to uni in 2011 not 2012
Reply 1
You think you need a degree for either of those? :lolwut:
Reply 2
Original post by Moooooooose
Hi all, I've just filled out my UCAS but I'm really worried that I've chosen the wrong degree. A bit of background info; I only got 3 AS levels, which were English Lit, Photography and Politics. At this point I was still set on Photography. So I looked into a foundation, which is what I'm studying now. I carried on the 3 subjects to A2, but ended up dropping English Lit just before Xmas (I hated the teachers, felt I sucked at the subject. B at AS but my mock A2 exams went badly). I was so set on Photography I thought it would be fine only doing 2.

Studying American politics at A2 made me realise how much I love Politics. As sad as it sounds I actually liked revising for the exams, and ended up with 81% and 96% in the exams (A overall). My photography went downhill, I was predicted a C in Politics and an A in Photography. Ended up with a C in Photography (E in the exam) and an A in Politics. All of this confused me, but at this point I had already been successful in getting a place on an art foundation so I thought I'd give it a go. I feel like I should really be studying Politics at uni, but what uni would take someone with 2 A levels and mediocre grades :frown: I've applied for photography, and I do love it but I think I'm rubbish at it, I lack any motivation to attend classes on my current course and feel like my heart's not really in it because of my lack of talent.

Any advice? My main issue is my parents wont support me if I decide I want to study politics, because they've supported me so much in doing photography. Now I'm just confused :frown: I was looking into finishing A2 english on a gap year, but I really want to go to uni in 2011 not 2012

It's a tough one. There will be some unis that will take you for Politics with just 2 A-Levels but I don't think they will reflect your potential. You got a B for AS in English Lit which is good and an A in Politics which is also very good. The C wasn't bad either. You can either continue with photography and wonder 'what if?'...or you can take a gap year (it's unfortunately the only option, unless you want to go to a university which is considered a bit 'third rate'), take up English A2 and perhaps look for a job if a rise in fees are the thing putting you off a gap year?

Also, re-reading your post, I noticed you wrote that you still like photography but it's just that you can't enjoy it due to your lack of confidence. If you still like it and you want to get better, talk to your teacher. Explain your situation to him/her and ask them if there's some way that can help you improve. Also get their recommendation as they'll give you a professional's opinion while we're giving you the student's view.

However, I'm not sure what a photography degree consists of so it could be something that you do alongside your degree (not academically but as a hobby) so if you find a way to do politics, don't completely end your ties with photography. And I feel you're overreacting about your parents, they'll support you through thick and thin, just explain how you're feeling to them and I'm sure their instinct as parents will be to help you through it and support you.

Original post by Broderss

I think it's more along the lines of he wants to learn more. A lot of the time, people will take a degree, not because they need it necessarily for a career they want to do but to learn more about the subject itself.
Reply 3
If you're not a very capable liar (amongst other things), I'd suggest you steer away from politics.
Reply 4
Original post by Broderss

Just because you do a degree in something, it doesn't mean it limits you to that as a career. Studying politics doesn't mean I want to be a politician :s-smilie: It just interests me, I'd like to go into something like political journalism not be an MP. The people I know that studied Politics at uni haven't done anything directly related to Politics in their career, so it obviously wouldn't limit me.
Reply 5
What kind of a degree is Photography? Seriously? Politics is an academic subject at least, though having 2 A-Levels will really limit you as to which university you might want to study it at, unless you are content in going to a terrible university.
Reply 6
Put it this way...I know a guy with a Photography degree and he's 35 and he lives in a bedsit,effectively.
Politics could get you a wide variety of different jobs when you graduate whereas photography is a LOT more competitive.
Reply 7
Original post by Moooooooose
Just because you do a degree in something, it doesn't mean it limits you to that as a career. Studying politics doesn't mean I want to be a politician :s-smilie: It just interests me, I'd like to go into something like political journalism not be an MP. The people I know that studied Politics at uni haven't done anything directly related to Politics in their career, so it obviously wouldn't limit me.

Quite right too!
Most people who become MPs etc. have backgrounds in law or history anyway, ignore the ignorant person who attempted to insult.
Politics as a degree has plenty of applications outside the limited sphere of governing.
Original post by Kerny
What kind of a degree is Photography? Seriously? Politics is an academic subject at least, though having 2 A-Levels will really limit you as to which university you might want to study it at, unless you are content in going to a terrible university.

Terrible is subjective.
Reply 9
Well on my foundation year also, and i do know a couple of people on my course who are applying for courses that arn't art courses (biology for example). But it does depend on where you want to study, you may have to do a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending