The Student Room Group

Starting a Gym 2mora

I'm starting a gym 2mora, I have an induction at 8.pm. anything I should take with me? or anything I will expect? whats the average number of days and hours you are supposed to do for? can anyone recomend any good workouts for improving genral fitness, and toning your body?

thanks all -x-
Reply 1
Take
- a bottle of water
- a towel (obviously a clean one)

Have a light meal before the induction (not a heavy one) and drink plenty of water.
There after take the vital vitamins, you can get from chemists (not essential but good anyway)

And keep calm and best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Take a small towel as generally when you're working hard you'll want something to wipe the sweat away. Likiewise a bottle of water or orange juice would be useful.

Another thing, just do a little bit of research into some of the excercises you have in mind in doing as some of the gym instructors give poor advice.

As for the amount of excercise you should do, its a personal thing. Generally 3 times a week, 1 hour a session is a good starting point. But even once a week is better than nothing.
Reply 3
wow, thanks guys. great advice :smile:
Reply 4
as posted above towel and bottle of water if you have one preferably one of those sports ones because if your running and want a drink its easier, i generally go 7 times a fortnight so every other day, muscle needs to rest and in the actual gym i spend only about 45 mins but then if i have time i will spend 30-45 mins in sauna and jacuzzi
Reply 5
Talk to the person giving your induction, about what your aims etc are for coming there, they'll be able to give you advice on how often you should go and what exercises to work on to achieve your goals.
Reply 6
i go 3-4 times a week, its a time for me to work off all my frustration in a positive way. yeh the guys pretty much covered what you need to take with you.
Reply 7
I wouldn't take anything with me to a gym induction..they show you how to work some of the machines, and might talk to you about training/goals, thats about it.
One word of advice..... Don't go crazy on your first session and push yourself to the max! You will find you will probably have to have a few days off to recover and the experience can put you off for life, and sudden strenuous exercise if you have been inactive for a while isn't good for your body, it just stresses it! Take it easy, try everything for a bit and see what you like doing! Have fun!

Lou
xxx
Ooooh I've got a gym induction tommorow.This is helpful!
Reply 10
wellp, theyll always start with light activities and intensity goes harder for the next sessions... just so your body gets used.. =)
Reply 11
sparkly_tiara
One word of advice..... Don't go crazy on your first session and push yourself to the max! You will find you will probably have to have a few days off to recover and the experience can put you off for life, and sudden strenuous exercise if you have been inactive for a while isn't good for your body, it just stresses it! Take it easy, try everything for a bit and see what you like doing! Have fun!

Lou
xxx

How do you think your body adapts? By placing the necessary "stress" upon it..

some people.
Remember to bring your towel! :smile: I forgot once :redface: Soo embarrasing. So I just went home and ran around a local playing field 10x instead, but the next day (and ever since then) I have always remembered :cool:

So bring that, and yeah - what the others have said, water bottle etc.

Good luck! My pass expires actually in December *goes to find out about swim passes for summer*

DB_x

Latest

Trending

Trending