The Student Room Group

Worried short girl :(

Hey there, so i'm 17 and 4' 11", and a little worried right now. I've never really been bothered about my height, my boyfriend is average height and i've just never thought about it. Now though, i'm starting to get a few snide comments here and there about how nobody's ever going to believe my age, and that i'm going to look out of place at university when I go because i'll look like a child.

Now, I really wish I wasn't worried about this but I am. Are there any other particularly short people out there who get the same kind of thing? Do you feel out of place/like you look younger than everyone else at university?

Please, settle my mind >____<

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's cool, I'm quite short and I don't mind. :smile: Were you a tall child, if not, maybe you'll grow? :dontknow:
Ignore them!
Being short is cool :wink:

Seriously, though, just tell them to eff off. You're short, and that's you! People will take you seriously, so matter how tall you are, if you earn that respect, and I'm sure you will :smile:
Reply 3
4'11 isn't too bad. I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe get some shoes with insoles/small heels? My mum is 5ft haha so I guess I'm used to it, but i think 4ft11, whilst short, doesn't warrant "snide comments". Tell them to **** off.
Reply 4
I would just ignore it, you'll probably get asked for ID all the time (Im 27 and I still get asked!! :eek: ) but I doubt anyone else will really be bothered :smile:
Reply 5
I'm a 5'6 male. Lets worry and be short together, haha!
Reply 7
My gf is short (and I'm taller than average), granted she gets IDed fairly often. But hey, when your 40 it will benefit you :biggrin:
snap, im 4 11 too :biggrin:

honestly its something that will bother you if you let it,
but especially in a place like uni everyone should be grown up enough not to make immature comments and the people who arent really arent worth it.

ive never had a problem with people not taking me seriously and i doubt you will based solely on your height. As long as you act like an adult people will treat you like one :wink:
I'm 5 ft and at uni, had no issues. Most people find it endearing and maybe bouncers look at my ID slightly longer than my 5 ft 10 best friend, but tbh as long as you appear not to care people don't care.

EDIT: Issues with kissing tall guys though!
Reply 10
well im 5'2" and there are a fair number of people at uni shorter than me and they fit in perfectly well
if anyone makes snide comments either ignore it or insult them back and be confident
I'm 17 and 4'9''. I love my height (it took a long time) but I HATE all the comments about it. That half the jokes are about me.
Reply 12
I find short girls very attractive.
Shorter girls ftw :smile:
Reply 14
I'm a 6 foot male, and I can honestly say short girls are the best. No-one will mind!
Reply 15

Total Recall FTW!

OP, don't worry about it, I bet you can make awesome chocolate!

...sorry, couldn't resist
Hey Im 18 and 4 ft 11 1/2 ... that half counts :-p

Don't worry about it honestly, and you wont look out of place at uni at all. Learn to love your height :-) I have many nicknames like 'hobbit', 'wee one', 'lil bit', but I find it quite funny! People will always take the mick out of you for something,I would rather it be my height!!! If you accept your height, others shouldnt make a 'nasty' issue about it. I quite like being the short one :-) x
Reply 17
No one should feel out of place and different at University!
Reply 18
I'm between 5' 1/2" and although I get jokes make about my height, no-one actually means them. All the guys I've met find my height endearing too. And actually, when I came to university, there were plenty of girls I met who were around my height so I no longer felt alone!

Your height will only be an issue if you let it so just enjoy your tinyness!
Reply 19
What a load of tosh!. I'm 5ft tall and every single one of my boyfriends has been over 5ft 9. The tallest guy I went out with was 6 ft 4.

Quick Reply

Latest