The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Questions about Durham!!!

Hi
I was wondering if anybody could help me with all these questions I've got about Durham Uni,

I'm planning to apply for 2011 for either combined honours in arts/social sciences to study french and International relations but I have no idea whether to apply for arts or social sciences! Does anyone do combined honours at durham or does anybody do French or I/R? What's the teaching like?Are you happy with the subjects/depts?

Next question... which college is best situated for these two subjects (obviously not ones in stockton) as I unfortunately don't have time to visit Durham before the UCAS deadline :frown: and generally at the uni are subjects always taught in the same subject buildings? I only ask because I recently withdrew from a uni at which I used to have spanish lectures in chemistry blocks which was slightly annoying and confusing!

sorry about all the questions! any help would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by louise09
Hi
I was wondering if anybody could help me with all these questions I've got about Durham Uni,

I'm planning to apply for 2011 for either combined honours in arts/social sciences to study french and International relations but I have no idea whether to apply for arts or social sciences! Does anyone do combined honours at durham or does anybody do French or I/R? What's the teaching like?Are you happy with the subjects/depts?

Next question... which college is best situated for these two subjects (obviously not ones in stockton) as I unfortunately don't have time to visit Durham before the UCAS deadline :frown: and generally at the uni are subjects always taught in the same subject buildings? I only ask because I recently withdrew from a uni at which I used to have spanish lectures in chemistry blocks which was slightly annoying and confusing!

sorry about all the questions! any help would be really appreciated :smile:

I have a friend doing IR who really enjoys it - that's about all I know lol

Everywhere in Durham is 30 minutes walk or less, generally any college would be OK unless you specifically want self catering (Josephine Butler is all self-catered and there's a self-catering block at Cuth's).

I do Chemistry and I have lectures in Chemistry, Geography, Engineering, Physics and Archaeology buildings. You learn to live with it!! However with languages/IR you'd usually be in Elvet Riverside near the DSU (but I know last year my IR friend had lectures on the science site, but that's like 10 minutes away from Elvet Riverside).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by louise09

Next question... which college is best situated for these two subjects (obviously not ones in stockton) as I unfortunately don't have time to visit Durham before the UCAS deadline :frown:

Durham is not a massive place, none of the colleges are very far from anywhere. Unless you have a strong desired to live as close as possible (likely, ~5 minutes as opposed to maybe 15 minutes for a further college) to your department, distance should not be a problem. Instead, you'd be best off looking them up and reading about them to see which you like the sound of.

and generally at the uni are subjects always taught in the same subject buildings? I only ask because I recently withdrew from a uni at which I used to have spanish lectures in chemistry blocks which was slightly annoying and confusing!

I don't know what lecture theaters your departments would have in them, but it's doubtful that your teaching would be there. You'd quite possibly have a lot of things in Elvet Riverside (a lecture theaters/rooms block all in one place) or on the science site (where all the science type departments are together). Since all these buildings are near each other anyway, I don't think having things in any particular building would be annoying or confusing.
Reply 3
Original post by dring
Durham is not a massive place, none of the colleges are very far from anywhere. Unless you have a strong desired to live as close as possible (likely, ~5 minutes as opposed to maybe 15 minutes for a further college) to your department, distance should not be a problem. Instead, you'd be best off looking them up and reading about them to see which you like the sound of.

I don't know what lecture theaters your departments would have in them, but it's doubtful that your teaching would be there. You'd quite possibly have a lot of things in Elvet Riverside (a lecture theaters/rooms block all in one place) or on the science site (where all the science type departments are together). Since all these buildings are near each other anyway, I don't think having things in any particular building would be annoying or confusing.

I don't know who neg repped you because this is a really good post!

OP, remember you won't live in college for all 3 years that you're in Durham, just the first (and maybe final) year, so base your college decision on the atmosphere/traditions/whether it has gowns and formals every week, etc.

I know people doing French and people doing IR and they've said really good things about both courses. Plus the Combined department is incredible! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest