The Student Room Group

Repeating second year at uni?

Hey,

Basically, i know it's early in the year to be thinking about this but - uni started 6 weeks ago and besides the first week i've had to be at home as my mum (single parent) has been in for serious back surgery and only has my 16 year old sister with her. So i've kinda missed everything so far, no lectures or tutorials and no personal study as i've been to preoccupied with things at home.

I have straight A's at A'level and got a high first in economics for the first year. Now i'm back in uni assessed essays and exams are already coming up this week. I'd like to think that i could catch up 5 weeks work between now and the january exams but i've picked up some new subjects like spanish language that i might struggle with. I don't want to risk getting a lower degree and not getting a job i want for the sake of one year so --

If january doesn't go well and i can't turn things around what is the deal with repeating a second year? Can you still get financial help from your LEA? Does it look really bad to perspective employers? Any advice would be great. Cheers.
Reply 1
There isn't usually a problem with funding from the LEA for repeated years. As for employment, I can't see how perspective employers would even know. Yes if they look closely at your CV they may see you were at uni for four years, but many people are anyhow (year in industry, or just a four year course like scottish unis). So unless you tell them I doubt they would ever know.

When it comes to whether you can actually retake the second year, I don't actually know. I'm pretty sure you would be able to, but can't say for definite because I don't know anyone that has done it.
Reply 2
The only thing I know about repeating is that if you fail a module and have to resit, the resit is always capped at 40% even if you get a good mark. As for funding, the people who had to resit in my year (I never failed :p: ) had to pay the fees themselves for the module in question.

Have you explored asking for extensions and such? You have extenuating circumstances which are easily proved (Doctors note etc). Also, the fact your a great student and not some jackass whos bordering on failure will make your university actually listen to what your saying. By getting an extension you can easily catch up that 6 weeks work throughout the year.
Reply 3
Depends on the situation. My mate is resitting second year for the full mark range (ie not capped at 40%) due to medical reasons, although there has been a bit of a cock up regarding her tuition fees (discrepency between what the uni were told she'd have to pay and what she was told she had to pay)

Latest

Trending

Trending