The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I wouldn't say Oxford is rah at all from what I've experienced, even my college which somehow has a reputation for it. Some people are posh/rich granted, but very very few people come close to the rah sort of stereotype.
Reply 21
Original post by Rob da Mop
There's a fair few rahs here, but we're not all bad :frown:

there's hardly any here dude, in general i definitely wouldn't say oxbridge was the most rah. posh, yeah, but rah goes to the ones full of the 'oxbridge rejects', such as durham, exeter, bristol. nothing particularly wrong with rahs in most cases, anyway.

edit: i've found at oxbridge people have a little more class, and the whole rah thing tends to be a bit... meh for the majority of people here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pete's Dragon
Also, the websites of the top public schools like Harrow, St Pauls, Radley etc list where their students go to university every year.

Christ, I just had a look at a few of those, and the numbers getting into top Universities from these places are absolutely phenomenal; one place had 20 people get into Oxford in one year :zomg:
Reply 23
Doxbridge.
Original post by yahyahyah
there's hardly any here dude, in general i definitely wouldn't say oxbridge was the most rah. posh, yeah, but rah goes to the ones full of the 'oxbridge rejects', such as durham, exeter, bristol. nothing particularly wrong with rahs in most cases, anyway.

edit: i've found at oxbridge people have a little more class, and the whole rah thing tends to be a bit... meh for the majority of people here.

There are no rahs here, unless you look at Johns :awesome:
Reply 25
Original post by Rob da Mop
There are no rahs here, unless you look at Johns :awesome:

our rahs are top quality thanks x
Reply 26
Original post by lusu2002
I studied at newcastle a few years ago. It is VERY RAH. Apparently 2/3 from public school and princess eugenie goes there for gods sake! But don't let that put u off, the best place to go to uni in my opinion.

It's not two thirds. Nowhere near. Even Durham's independent intake is only just over one third (not including QC which does bring it down slightly). Though there are massive differences between faculties. Durham's arts faculty is 50% private and science is the lowest at under 32%. Even 32% is high considering only around 10% of the population are privately educated, I think. So quite disproportionate.

Though I know just as many "Rahs" from state schools as independents. In fact I went to school with one or two....

Some departments at Newcastle, maybe things like history of art and classics, might be approaching two thirds.

Though Newcastle does have a large private school intake, in the top ten or so in the country. Its original campus looks like Harrow, you see, that's why it's so popular with those from Harrow. Well...it bears a slight resemblance in my opinion.
Original post by yahyahyahs
I was just looking through some old threads and the usual suspects turn up, but I wanted to know what others thought. Of course Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Exeter were mentioned quite a lot in those threads, and for some reason, Nottingham appeared every now and then. Also, I was reading an old Times article that said that Newcastle was the new place to be, saying it was the alternative if your children (it was directed at middle/upper class parents) get that anorexic letter telling them they wouldn't be getting into their first choice, or any, college.

The current favourite university of the "Rah" is Newcastle.
Yup, Exeter is bad.
Reply 29
Original post by Revolution is my Name
Christ, I just had a look at a few of those, and the numbers getting into top Universities from these places are absolutely phenomenal; one place had 20 people get into Oxford in one year :zomg:

Colchester Royal Grammar School is close to where I live, they have had like 25 in think in one year. Alot anyway.
I wouldn't say Edinburgh's posh, but there are a lot of rahs here. Bleh.
What the hell does 'rah' mean?
Ive never heard that word in my life, why are all you people saying it?
Rah, what is that, is it a sound you make when you are cheering?
I dont know anybody who uses that word, infact I'm pretty sure no one in my area has heard of it?
There's a few too many Rahs & Rahs in denial in Plymouth imo. Exeter is absolutely rife with them too. Never seen a non-rah in Exeter. I can't spend more than 5 minutes in that gaff, and that's just sitting on the train waiting to leave :lolwut:
People forget this is also course dependent. You'll meet far more rahs doing something like medicine or architecture than doing say, sports sciences.
My mate was rich and arrogant before he went to Exeter but not posh/rah - he's only been there since September and already he has changed and all his friends are rahs. I wouldn't really call him a mate now...
Reply 35
Original post by Lewroll
What the hell does 'rah' mean?
Ive never heard that word in my life, why are all you people saying it?
Rah, what is that, is it a sound you make when you are cheering?
I dont know anybody who uses that word, infact I'm pretty sure no one in my area has heard of it?

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU is a typical "rah"
Original post by Mujeriego
The rahs have siezed King's College London.

I thought Asians did? :confused:
Reply 37
I've heard a lot of people say it's rah central at Leeds but... :dontknow:

Bloody hell. Surely they arent really like that. If that guy went to my school, he would be stabbed. I dont know how long i could put up with people like that. 'Chundered', 'lash' wtf
Is Bath full of rahs? D:

Latest

Trending

Trending