The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by yahyahyahs
I was just looking through some old threads and the usual suspects turn up, but I wanted to know what others thought. Of course Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Exeter were mentioned quite a lot in those threads, and for some reason, Nottingham appeared every now and then. Also, I was reading an old Times article that said that Newcastle was the new place to be, saying it was the alternative if your children (it was directed at middle/upper class parents) get that anorexic letter telling them they wouldn't be getting into their first choice, or any, college.

Wait.... you actually looked at old threads as in :gasp: using the search function?

Why did you have to make this thread then? The last thread about this wasn't that long ago.
Reply 61
Original post by (You)
Wait.... you actually looked at old threads as in :gasp: using the search function?

Why did you have to make this thread then? The last thread about this wasn't that long ago.

Well I was browsing through on my old account and the last one was dated like 2008. Anywho, just thought I'd make an updated one to see if opinion has changed.

What is it with TSRers getting so angry with similar threads?
Original post by kat2pult

Royal Holloway has a fair few rahs too.

I noticed that too when I went to the open day.
Exeter is very Rah. but it's still a great uni. Alot of the people that go here are complete stereotypes and unfortunately you do see so much of it. flipflops in the snow. never brush their hair.

and some people even seem proud of the rep. which is the worst bit!

Saying that Durham is I imagine much worse, but yes probably more posh than rah. although i'd say that's the place for oxbridge rejects. I never tried out for Oxbridge, and didn't want to go there and fell in love with Exeter when I came here. However I am not a rah so maybe most of them did who knows.

Havent been to tons of unis. but my best friends at cardiff and completely different story. opposite to Exeter.
my friend who went to durham is basically a rah now. still lovely but her friends are quite ek.
my b/f well ex goes to hull and i dont think they know what rahs are up there haha. despite being near to Durham

My biggest surprise would probably be Nottingham where one of my best friends goes and she is often moaning about rahs. I thought as a big city it would attract less but obviously not.

they are everywhere.... no escape! haha

oh after thought Zara and Peter Philips went to Exeter so it's got that to add to it's posh status haha
Reply 64
Original post by moshing-fairy
and some people even seem proud of the rep. which is the worst bit!

Live and let live tbqh.
Reply 65
I go to Exeter a lot to visit my cousin and they all use terms like "tactical chunder", "banterous" & they even call a guy "Lash". It's actually quite funny. Although I thought "pre-lashing" was a common term used? I've always used it - I didn't realise it was 'rah'.

Also, I've found that everyone in Exeter has a Jack Wills gilet. Literally everyone.
Reply 66
Original post by yahyahyahs
Well I was browsing through on my old account and the last one was dated like 2008. Anywho, just thought I'd make an updated one to see if opinion has changed.

What is it with TSRers getting so angry with similar threads?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28257294
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26467808
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24721355
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Surrey has to be up there... Surrey is the richest county in the UK, and lots of Surrey students live here.
Original post by Arielle

Original post by Arielle
I go to Exeter a lot to visit my cousin and they all use terms like "tactical chunder", "banterous" & they even call a guy "Lash". It's actually quite funny. Although I thought "pre-lashing" was a common term used? I've always used it - I didn't realise it was 'rah'.

Also, I've found that everyone in Exeter has a Jack Wills gilet. Literally everyone.

Lol I can't stand the Gilets. One day I tried to count how many I saw and I couldn't even keep count. People exaggerate how many or how rah Exeter is, it's not that bad. The place is awesome and so are the people :yes:
Reply 69
Original post by yoyo462001
Lol I can't stand the Gilets. One day I tried to count how many I saw and I couldn't even keep count. People exaggerate how many or how rah Exeter is, it's not that bad. The place is awesome and so are the people :yes:

Yeah it's such a lovely place - but it is very "rah". However, I love it there and "rahs" don't bother me. But there is still an unusual amount of those Jack Wills gilets!
Quite a few posh people at loughborough - quite a few have never had a job and seemed shocked when I said I would be working in Debenhams in the holidays and that I don't get x amount put into my bank account to spend :confused:
Reply 71
Original post by polka_dott
Quite a few posh people at loughborough - quite a few have never had a job and seemed shocked when I said I would be working in Debenhams in the holidays and that I don't get x amount put into my bank account to spend :confused:

:eek:
Original post by + polarity -
I thought Asians did? :confused:

I will do a Asian headcount next time I get there and compare numbers. I take my stereotypes very seriously. Now tell me: did you change my word? Because I wrote sieged -- it exists -- but I see it in your quote as 'siezed' when it is actually 'seized'. :hand:
Original post by Mujeriego

Original post by Mujeriego
I will do a Asian headcount next time I get there and compare numbers. I take my stereotypes very seriously. Now tell me: did you change my word? Because I wrote sieged -- it exists -- but I see it in your quote as 'siezed' when it is actually 'seized'. :hand:

lol, why u mad tho?
i remember someone on my course in bristol making fun of someone who bought supermarket own brand bread
Original post by + polarity -
lol, why u mad tho?

You made me doubt my spelling. :nothing:
Reply 76
Original post by LeeC
Surrey has to be up there... Surrey is the richest county in the UK, and lots of Surrey students live here.

I'm at Surrey and I haven't met many student rahs. Most of the local people are rahs but as long as I stay on the university campus I'm safe from the rahs.
Reply 77
Can someone clarify to please, exactly what a rah is? I'm not from England and have never come across the term until I visited this site :s-smilie:
Reply 78
Original post by jaheen22
Can someone clarify to please, exactly what a rah is? I'm not from England and have never come across the term until I visited this site :s-smilie:

Basically an upper-middle class snob as they are normally described. They usually go to the best public schools in the country then progress onto the oldest, traditional universities. Worship only one god: Jack Wills, although some have been converted by the Church of St Abercrombie and Fitch.

Well, that's what I'm gathering from what I've been seeing on this thread, and the Urban Dictionary entry, although they aren't like pariahs or anything. If anything, I think they are found to be more socially acceptable as a clique than chavs.
Reply 79
i didn't know what the term "rah" meant before coming to uni... and now I know too well.....

Latest

Trending

Trending