The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Defenition of a RAH- Rich Ass Hole :smile:
Reply 81
My vote goes to the Royal Agricultural College. One of my friends actually chose to go there because he wanted to be around people who also like beagling and are staunch supporters of the Countryside Alliance, etc. :tongue:

I honestly do not think Oxbridge is that 'rah'. Largely upper-middle class, yes. But rah? No.
Reply 82
Exeter does have a large number of these retards, not going to lie. Never bought into the whole Jack Wills thing myself, everyone and their dog wears it. If I'm accepted to Bristol it's going to be interesting... really can't stand the rah dialect.
Original post by Jackeeba
Exeter does have a large number of these retards, not going to lie. Never bought into the whole Jack Wills thing myself, everyone and their dog wears it. If I'm accepted to Bristol it's going to be interesting... really can't stand the rah dialect.

Exeter isn't as bad as it once was, but it is still the Oxbridge rejects university for many. Each year there is a more diverse range of students coming onto the campus but each year the rich students do get richer and more ignorant.

After 30 or so years of living in Exeter I have become well used to the students the city brings
Reply 84
Original post by Jackeeba

I think the Bristol accent is more interesting! :biggrin:
Reply 85
oxbridge=posh
durham/newcastle=rah.

'posh' and 'rah' are NOT synonyms. the people i met visiting oxford and cambridge had much more class :rolleyes:
Original post by Kobie
oxbridge=posh
durham/newcastle=rah.

'posh' and 'rah' are NOT synonyms. the people i met visiting oxford and cambridge had much more class :rolleyes:

Here here! My own boyfriend is someone who I would consider posh (family titles and such) but by no means a 'rah' (actually that is a phrase I hate, why can't we just call them arrogant?!) and he has far more class than many from the middle classes who think of themselves as better than they actually are.
Original post by Pete's Dragon
Its not hard to find out. Look at the official statistics published, not what people on here 'perceive' to be the poshest.

Every year the Sunday Times ranking has a list of the unis with the lowest state school intake, and also the most middle class. Also HEFCE (the gov body) every year produces data on which unis have the lowest % state school intake. The data should be on their website. Also, the websites of the top public schools like Harrow, St Pauls, Radley etc list where their students go to university every year.

From memory, the same suspects are usually in the top 10 in the same sort of order. They are

Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
Bristol
UCL/LSE/Imperial
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Nottingham
Bath.

Not sure why everyone thinks Exeter is so 'posh'. It isn't usually in the top 10. After these few then the next 'usual suspects' in recent years have tended to be Exeter, Newcastle, and Leeds. A lot of it is about fashionability. For example, Nottingham is loved by a lot of big public schools especially the ones in the green belt, and they send a huge number there every year (see university destinations pages on public school websites). Alternatively, similar universities rep-wise like York and Warwick dont even get a look in.

If you want to avoid a rah uni, then go to a big civic like Manchester, B'ham, Sheffield.

wrong
bath does not at all feature in the top 10, nottingham is higher but still not close. LSE is only good for economics and such, and overall, is is much worse than most.you miss out leiscter, which over all, is in the top 7.

Check it:smile:
what about st andrews? :erm:
Reply 89
Why is everyone rah-bashing on here again, and saying things about Jack Wills? It's really pathetic. Grow up jealous people! :hmmm:
Newcastle is pretty heavy on the rahs, i was sat behind these two on the bus who were talking about how they fortunatly hadnt come into contact with any lower class people.
My course is a bit too academic for rahs which is pretty good :biggrin:
Original post by SebMurphy
Newcastle is pretty heavy on the rahs, i was sat behind these two on the bus who were talking about how they fortunatly hadnt come into contact with any lower class people.

That's where you need to tap on their shoulder and just say 'Oh you think you haven't' followed by a molevent 'muwhahaha' :rolleyes:
hmmmmm......
Original post by waz1991
Defenition of a RAH- Rich Ass Hole :smile:

lol :tongue:
Original post by SebMurphy

ooooo.....the RAH people won't be happy about that comment :tongue:
Reply 95
Original post by yahyahyahs
I was just looking through some old threads and the usual suspects turn up, but I wanted to know what others thought. Of course Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Exeter were mentioned quite a lot in those threads, and for some reason, Nottingham appeared every now and then. Also, I was reading an old Times article that said that Newcastle was the new place to be, saying it was the alternative if your children (it was directed at middle/upper class parents) get that anorexic letter telling them they wouldn't be getting into their first choice, or any, college.

Exeter has a huge number of rah's but most of them are pretty nice if a bit clueless about the world
Reply 96
Original post by .Ali.
Why is everyone rah-bashing on here again, and saying things about Jack Wills? It's really pathetic. Grow up jealous people! :hmmm:

I hate to say it we're not jealous as for jack will's bashing why wouldn't we its over pricced for what it is
Reply 97
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
There's a few too many Rahs & Rahs in denial in Plymouth imo. Exeter is absolutely rife with them too. Never seen a non-rah in Exeter. I can't spend more than 5 minutes in that gaff, and that's just sitting on the train waiting to leave :lolwut:

Dude there's plenty of non us rah's here you just gotta know where to look
Reply 98
Original post by .Ali.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Although I don't agree with some of them, there really is no need to call them pathetic and jealous.

Original post by spacepirate-James
what about st andrews? :erm:

Yah, that place too.
Reply 99
Original post by yahyahyahs
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Although I don't agree with some of them, there really is no need to call them pathetic and jealous.

Yah, that place too.

They are but some of them are being a bit rude!

Latest

Trending

Trending