Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How do find the minimum/maximum point on a curve? (C1 EDEXCEL)

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do find the minimum/maximum point on a curve? and can you give an example please

By the way keep this to Core 1 level/AS level

Exam board is edexcel.

Im a bit confused because the book doesn't mention anything about them, but sometimes I need to calculate them.

Thanks
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    when you have a function, y=x^2 or something like that, you diffrentiate the function and make dy/dx=0, thats to find the stationary points, if you then diffrentiate again(this example is not useful for this bit) and you sub in your values obtained from dy/dx=0 then if the outcome number is above 0 then it is a minimum, if it is below 0 then it is a maximum. Look in the spoiler for my example
    Spoiler:
    Show
    y=x^3 - 2x, dy/dx = 3x^2 - 2, 3x^2 - 2 = 0, x^2 = 2/3 so x = plus or minus root 2/3. find d^2y/dx^2, this means differentiating 3x^2 - 2, this gives you 6x, sub the plus or minus root 2/3 in and work out which one is a maximum or a minimum
    EDIT: sorry its a bit messy, I tried to avoid latex because its hard to use and annoying at times
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Class...calPoints.aspx
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Class...MaxValues.aspx

Awesome site for other stuff too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    when you have a function, y=x^2 or something like that, you diffrentiate the function and make dy/dx=0, thats to find the stationary points, if you then diffrentiate again(this example is not useful for this bit) and you sub in your values obtained from dy/dx=0 then if the outcome number is above 0 then it is a minimum, if it is below 0 then it is a maximum. Look in the spoiler for my example
    Spoiler:
    Show
    y=x^3 - 2x, dy/dx = 3x^2 - 2, 3x^2 - 2 = 0, x^2 = 2/3 so x = plus or minus root 2/3. find d^2y/dx^2, this means differentiating 3x^2 - 2, this gives you 6x, sub the plus or minus root 2/3 in and work out which one is a maximum or a minimum
    EDIT: sorry its a bit messy, I tried to avoid latex because its hard to use and annoying at times
    What happens when you second differentiate for example: -6x+2
    you get -6
    you cannot sub any of the values obtained from first differentiation. what to do then?

thanks!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream123)
    What happens when you second differentiate for example: -6x+2
    you get -6
    you cannot sub any of the values obtained from first differentiation. what to do then?

thanks!
    y=-6x + 2
    dy/dx = -6
    when dy/dx=0
    -6=0?
    no stationary points, as you should already know if you just sketch the graph of -6x + 2
    (cant find maximum and minimum points if theres no stationary pionts!)
    hope this helped
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayseanfan)
    How do find the minimum/maximum point on a curve? and can you give an example please

Exam board is edexcel.

Im a bit confused because the book doesn't mention anything about them, but sometimes I need to calculate them.

Thanks
    Use of differentiation to solve problems with Max/Min points is part of C2 not C1 for Edexcel

You might be expected to use completed square to find the minimum point of a quadratic but that's all. [ the min of (x + p)^2 + q occurs at (-p,q) ]

e.g. x^2 + 6x + 5
    = (x + 3)^2 - 4
    minimum is at (-3, -4)

If you are asked to sketch a graph of a given function you will be required to show where it crosses the axes
    If you are asked to sketch a transformation of a graph you are reuired to label the new coordinates of points labelled on the original graph
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Use of differentiation to solve problems with Max/Min points is part of C2 not C1 for Edexcel
    If I knew this I would have pointed it out, but im on OCR doing A2 at the moment, similar topics though right? Plus people assumably doing C1 will do C2, but it would take a bit of pressure off if you learnt them in order. I ended up revising C4 for my C3 mock :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayseanfan)

Exam board is edexcel.

Thanks
    Wait, I'm doing Edexcel Maths, C1 and I've never been asked to calculate this. There's nothing in the book about it either. Can someone just confirm whether or not this could be in the exam, because I'm confused now, and we haven't been taught this :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope thats C2.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    If I knew this I would have pointed it out, but im on OCR doing A2 at the moment, similar topics though right? Plus people assumably doing C1 will do C2, but it would take a bit of pressure off if you learnt them in order. I ended up revising C4 for my C3 mock :/
    Yep pretty much the same topics on the different awarding bodies but differences in which are in C1 and which in C2. Finding turning points/stationary points by setting dy/dx = 0 is C2 for Edexcel. Finding d^2y/dx^2 of a function is in Edexcel C1 and has occassionally been asked in the exam but you don't learn to do anything with it in terms of max/min points until C2. They will eventually cover it but don't need to know it for their January C1 exam.

Specification: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...2%20180510.pdf
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    e.g.

y = x^2 + 6x, find the coordinates of the minimum point

start by differentiating (dy/dx will give you the formula for the gradient)

dy/dx = 2x + 6

minimum point => dy/dx = 0 (remember, at minimum/maximum points the gradient is 0 since at this particular instant the graph isn't increasing or decreasing)

therefore 2x + 6 = 0
    2x = 6
    x = 3

sub x = 3 into y = x^2 + 6x to get y = 27

the coordinates of your minimum point are therefore (3,27)

(main point: dy/dx will give you the formula for the gradient)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2010
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.