The Student Room Group

What is a certified copy?

Hi guys

I've just gotten some offers and I've been told to send the unis "certified copies" of my A level results.

What did you guys send in? Was it stamped by your school or the examining body? I am an international student, by the way.

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
It just means the certificates you got/are going to get after your exams - you know, a4 sized piece of thick paper with your name, subject, grades and exam board etc? It is just a way for the university to further verify your results and make sure you aren't trying to sneak in :smile:
Reply 2
You need to get a copy stamped by either your referee, someone at your school, or someone in a position authority such as a lawyer. Your referee would be easiest and therefore best. You need to show your referee the original certificate and the photocopy, and then they need to write on the photocopy that they have seen both and it is a true copy. Then they should sign, date and stamp it.
Reply 3
Original post by Wookie42
It just means the certificates you got/are going to get after your exams - you know, a4 sized piece of thick paper with your name, subject, grades and exam board etc? It is just a way for the university to further verify your results and make sure you aren't trying to sneak in :smile:

I wanted to know what they needed for a photocopy of my results to qualify as "certified". Thanks anyway!

Original post by Juno
You need to get a copy stamped by either your referee, someone at your school, or someone in a position authority such as a lawyer. Your referee would be easiest and therefore best. You need to show your referee the original certificate and the photocopy, and then they need to write on the photocopy that they have seen both and it is a true copy. Then they should sign, date and stamp it.

Thank you! Very helpful :smile:
Reply 4
I don't understand ,if you are applying after you already have your A certificates and take these original certificates with you to the interview why would they also require certified copies. They can themselves verify them and take a copy surely ?
Reply 5
Original post by Ranip
I don't understand ,if you are applying after you already have your A certificates and take these original certificates with you to the interview why would they also require certified copies. They can themselves verify them and take a copy surely ?

It's likely that either the course the OP has applied for doesn't require an interview (not all do) or that, being an international applicant, the OP is not required to attend an interview in person, but rather by a remote means, such as Skype. This would prevent the unis from examining the certificates for themselves.

Legally, a certified copy has the same value as the original document so this allows the unis to verify the OP's qualifications without seeing the original certificate.
Reply 6
Im a UK citizen living in Wales and already have my A levels and so too the certificates which I am going to take with me to an interview at a medical school in England but they stil want certified copies..why? Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Ranip
Im a UK citizen living in Wales and already have my A levels and so too the certificates which I am going to take with me to an interview at a medical school in England but they stil want certified copies..why? Thanks

Sometimes I think these things are more designed at whittling down applicants - checking who has read the instructions and followed them. Medicine is very over subscribed, so many applicants will meet the requirements. Unfortunately, they can't accept everyone. And with medicine it's very important to be able to follow instructions, show attention to detail, and behave yourself.

It's also probably because they want to keep a copy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending