Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Leicester accomodation

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casi)
    Does anyone in catered accommodation know how strict they are on guests staying, I know they are not really allowed but I applied for catered accommodation for gms and Beaumont and self catered jofo, but want my boyfriend to stay! Thanks
    Usually they aren't very strict at all about it. On move in weekend your residential advisor comes to the flats to introduce themself and they explain then or you can ask questions. I think if he was there all the time then there may be problems but if it is just for weekends and a couple of weeks it would be fine. you'd really have to get a jobsworth RA for it not to be ok.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L3ann3)
    Usually they aren't very strict at all about it. On move in weekend your residential advisor comes to the flats to introduce themself and they explain then or you can ask questions. I think if he was there all the time then there may be problems but if it is just for weekends and a couple of weeks it would be fine. you'd really have to get a jobsworth RA for it not to be ok.
    Ah that's good! He's only going to stay once or twice a month for a night! Do many people have guests stay?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody explain these accommodation terms please?

Standard Single
    Premium Single
    Premium+ Single

Standard Double
    Premium Double

Standard Ensuite
    Standard+ Ensuite
    Premium Ensuite
    Premium+ Ensuite

Thank you in advance!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration91)
    Can somebody explain these accommodation terms please?

Standard Single=Basically a normal room with bed, wardrobe etc. You would share all bathroom facilities. Quite uncommon.
    Premium Single=Same as above but with a sink in the room, makes up the vast majority of single rooms.
    Premium+ Single=Apparently only in Nixon and the Grange so if you're in Oadby not a concern. Don't know exactly what's different to others but Nixon's just been refurbed so probably just that they're new.

Standard Double=Guessing you mean twin, in which case same as above but you share a room. Rooms are massive by all accounts.
    Premium Double

Standard Ensuite=Ensuite room, but the ensuite is a pod not a full room. NNot renovated particularly recently.
    Standard+ Ensuite=Only in Opal, not sure what's different about them.
    Premium Ensuite=Like standard ensuite but more recently renovated
    Premium+ Ensuite=In the JoFo Pavilions up at Oadby, and apparently in GMS somewhere but I'm not sure where. Big rooms with full sized ensuite not a pod. I would say decorated in the style of Lenny Henry's favourite hotel chain.

Thank you in advance!
    http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommo...ypes-explained
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For those who have booked or planning to book a room in Albion Court, should bare in mind some Internet issues:
    Firstly the assigned bandwidth for each flat (five person in it) is 0.6 Mbps.
    Secondly the internet stops working almost everyday until the administrator restarts the router, which may mean more than a day without internet.
    Finally, the landlord does not allow contracts with external internet service providers (i.e. Virgin Media).
    Interesting to note that when I was booking the room through Westminor Properties they were promising 10 Mbps per flat, but it was not written in any contract!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casi)
    Ah that's good! He's only going to stay once or twice a month for a night! Do many people have guests stay?
    Yeah quite a few. I wouldn't worry about it too much!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just accepted my offer for accom! Woo! Anyone else in Nixon Court? (I'm in block C!)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just accepted my offer for accom! Woo! Anyone else in Nixon Court? (I'm in block C!)
    have you got an unconditional offer?

i thought they only gave accomodation out once you have your results...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah I've applied for Nixon Court as my #1 choice- but haven't got an accommodation offer, nor does it say they're even processing my application yet.

My offer's unconditional - hope they get round to it soon.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    Ah I've applied for Nixon Court as my #1 choice- but haven't got an accommodation offer, nor does it say they're even processing my application yet.

My offer's unconditional - hope they get round to it soon.
    Mine came through last week, got an offer for my first choice. Beaumont catered, en suite
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darko123)
    Mine came through last week, got an offer for my first choice. Beaumont catered, en suite
    :lolwut:

I feel even worse now
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I feel even worse now
    Don't worry mine only came through because I have an unconditional although tbf it was still pretty damn quick. What's your 1st choice?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

I feel even worse now
    Don't worry, Nixon's hardly overwhelmed with Freshers' clamouring to get in there, being city living and all, and the returners (traditionally at least, most of Nixon) will be in separate flats/blocks in the main. If you've not heard anything by the end of the week give accommodation an email.

Don't worry, every year Leicester house everyone who has them as reserve and any that come through clearing. Anyone firming it will definitely get halls!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darko123)
    Don't worry mine only came through because I have an unconditional although tbf it was still pretty damn quick. What's your 1st choice?
    My offer is unconditional as well mate - hopefully something will come through soon. I opted for Nixon Court - you're beaumont right?

(Original post by roh)
    Don't worry, Nixon's hardly overwhelmed with Freshers' clamouring to get in there, being city living and all, and the returners (traditionally at least, most of Nixon) will be in separate flats/blocks in the main. If you've not heard anything by the end of the week give accommodation an email.

Don't worry, every year Leicester house everyone who has them as reserve and any that come through clearing. Anyone firming it will definitely get halls!
    Haha - thanks for that man, I sent my app off on the 16th, I'll give it another week or so like you said.

Where are you staying for your final year?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

Haha - thanks for that man, I sent my app off on the 16th, I'll give it another week or so like you said.

Where are you staying for your final year?

House in Evington bit back from London Rd, with 5 other guys I lived with in halls and second year. Obviously that's an ideal mix for a really productive final year...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    House in Evington bit back from London Rd, with 5 other guys I lived with in halls and second year. Obviously that's an ideal mix for a really productive final year...
    Haha - you're going to have to work pretty hard mate, so I'm sure you know what you're doing
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha - you're going to have to work pretty hard mate, so I'm sure you know what you're doing
    I'm trying not to think about it, it's just not about having to do regular all nighters. Managed it last year so sure we will again, just a case of limiting FIFA around key times and doing Shabang at least once a week.

I dread to think what medics finals are like, they certainly seem to drag on long enough and I know you have to revise all 5 years.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    I'm trying not to think about it, it's just not about having to do regular all nighters. Managed it last year so sure we will again, just a case of limiting FIFA around key times and doing Shabang at least once a week.

I dread to think what medics finals are like, they certainly seem to drag on long enough and I know you have to revise all 5 years.
    I've never done an all-nighter - they can't be that fun can they?

Medic finals seem like hell - I'm trying to avoid that thought tbh. I think when I start my first exam will be in January (ESA1) - but again, trying to push that thought away.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never done an all-nighter - they can't be that fun can they?

Medic finals seem like hell - I'm trying to avoid that thought tbh. I think when I start my first exam will be in January (ESA1) - but again, trying to push that thought away.
    You might get away with it doing medicine (no big essay deadlines) but most people will do an all nighter or, more likely, a few. They're not fun, can be alright if there's a few you there and you keep up the energy drink intake to avoid crashing but can also be hell on earth.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    You might get away with it doing medicine (no big essay deadlines) but most people will do an all nighter or, more likely, a few. They're not fun, can be alright if there's a few you there and you keep up the energy drink intake to avoid crashing but can also be hell on earth.
    Yeah - I guess it comes with going to university. I recently discovered 'Boost' as a much cheaper version to Red Bull, so I can imagine growing very close to that.

I was wondering whether to bring a car - because I'll be living in Nixon, won't need it for lectures, but perhaps for gym later in the day?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 6, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.