Trashed communal area.

Ahhh....
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by SirMasterKey
It's not bad at all. I'm in self-catered at GMS. My only complaints are that I have to down 31 stairs to get to the bathroom and that I'm actually away from the rest of the hall with two other houses. Although getting to the sports fields/gym/hall is easy, it's my back-garden.

I have uploaded pictures on the 'Post pictures of your dorm room' thread of my room if you want to see that. I don't know about the other self catered students but mine is the smallest/ 2nd smallest (can't quite work out if one of the room is that tiny bit smaller) of the 5 in the house.

Trashed communal area.

I can't seem to find the pictures in the Post pics thread. I don't suppose you know the link?
Original post by grape:)
I can't seem to find the pictures in the Post pics thread. I don't suppose you know the link?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28693298&postcount=1146

You had commented on them before and asked about it being self-catered :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by SirMasterKey
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28693298&postcount=1146

You had commented on them before and asked about it being self-catered :wink:

Oh dear, how embarrassing :colondollar:

(Thanks :P )
Reply 24
This is old,but no point beginning a new thread for just a question.
I've always thought it would be preferable to have an Ensuite Room, but the price difference is just too steep. I think I'll compromise by getting a Premium Single room. What are the bathrooms like if you don't have an ensuite? Is it like a communal shower with like 10 toilets/shower stalls in one large room? Or one or two single bathrooms?
Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Wilzyy
This is old,but no point beginning a new thread for just a question.
I've always thought it would be preferable to have an Ensuite Room, but the price difference is just too steep. I think I'll compromise by getting a Premium Single room. What are the bathrooms like if you don't have an ensuite? Is it like a communal shower with like 10 toilets/shower stalls in one large room? Or one or two single bathrooms?
Thanks for any help :smile:

I think it really depends on where you go. For the past two years I've been in one of the converted houses that is part of John Foster and I don't have an ensuite. Instead I share two bathrooms with two other girls. Inside each there is a loo, sink and a shower.

The only other shared bathroom accommodation I've been in (very briefly) is Nixon Court which was different to where I am, it had about 5 toilets/ shower stalls. But there is some rennovations going on at Noxon so I don't know if the situation will change for next year or not.
Reply 26
Original post by QI Elf
I think it really depends on where you go. For the past two years I've been in one of the converted houses that is part of John Foster and I don't have an ensuite. Instead I share two bathrooms with two other girls. Inside each there is a loo, sink and a shower.

The only other shared bathroom accommodation I've been in (very briefly) is Nixon Court which was different to where I am, it had about 5 toilets/ shower stalls. But there is some rennovations going on at Noxon so I don't know if the situation will change for next year or not.

Ah I see. This accomodation stuff is so confusing lol. I'll probably just apply and hope for the best anywhere.
Reply 27
Original post by Wilzyy
Ah I see. This accomodation stuff is so confusing lol. I'll probably just apply and hope for the best anywhere.

You could always ring up and ask them if you wanted to know for sure. The number will be on the accommodation part of the uni's website.
Reply 28
Original post by QI Elf
You could always ring up and ask them if you wanted to know for sure. The number will be on the accommodation part of the uni's website.

Mm yeah I probably should do that, thanks :smile:
Reply 29
If you want a students view of GMS Hall in Leicester then there's an informal blog at gmshall.wordpress.com

it might make a change of the generic write-ups in the uni prospectus

:-)
Reply 30
Original post by QI Elf

Heya, I was told that there is a relatively high chance of being chosen to go into the converted JoFo houses if I choose Self Catered also, and I'm thinking of doing this :smile: Have you got any pictures or information about the converted houses please? (As I love the idea of them, but only got to see the exterior on the open day) :smile:

Cheers in advance x
Reply 31
Heya, I was told that there is a relatively high chance of being chosen to go into the converted JoFo houses if I choose Self Catered also, and I'm thinking of doing this :smile: Have you got any pictures or information about the converted houses please? (As I love the idea of them, but only got to see the exterior on the open day) :smile:

Cheers in advance x

Ok, this is my room. Its quite a lot larger than most of the other room in The Beeches. The boys' rooms downstairs are really quite small although the girls' are much larger, mine is the biggest!!

What kind of information do you want? I've only ever been in The Beeches out of the converted houses. There are 10 people in the house- 7 boys and 3 girls. The boys have their own (quite large) kitchen and two bathrooms downstairs and the girls have a small kitchen (but not too small for 3 people and we have exactly the same amount of fridge/ freezer space as the 7 boys and there are plenty of cupboards) and two bathrooms upstairs.

If you wanted more pictures I can put some up. But I'm having to use my friends camera as mine has died a sad and lonely death!

Some of the converted houses are shared rooms (but I think you have to sepecify this so you wouldn't randomly be allocated one as far as I know). None of the Beeches rooms are shared and I don't know if any of the JoFo houses are, but I know that other halls converted houses are shared.

I really really love my house (hence why I stayed for two years!!). We have our own MASSIVE garden which is fun for playing in (when I don't have to act like a grown up and do lots of work). It feels more like an actual house and you have more freedom, IMO, than you would in the normal pavillions.

We have cleaners in twice a week to do the communal areas. We also have the porters offices at the back of us so if we need something fixing or hatever, they are really quick to do it.

For stuff like laundry and picking up letters/ parcels which can't be pushed under your door, you have to go down to the main JoFo reception/ laundrette but thats only annoying when its dark, cold or raining. In which case, don't do your washing at 6am in the pouring rain like I did today. FML.

P.S. Excuse the messy desk- in the midst of dissertation and essay writing :sadnod:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by QI Elf
Ok, this is my room. Its quite a lot larger than most of the other room in The Beeches. The boys' rooms downstairs are really quite small although the girls' are much larger, mine is the biggest!!

What kind of information do you want? I've only ever been in The Beeches out of the converted houses. There are 10 people in the house- 7 boys and 3 girls. The boys have their own (quite large) kitchen and two bathrooms downstairs and the girls have a small kitchen (but not too small for 3 people and we have exactly the same amount of fridge/ freezer space as the 7 boys and there are plenty of cupboards) and two bathrooms upstairs.

If you wanted more pictures I can put some up. But I'm having to use my friends camera as mine has died a sad and lonely death!

Some of the converted houses are shared rooms (but I think you have to sepecify this so you wouldn't randomly be allocated one as far as I know). None of the Beeches rooms are shared and I don't know if any of the JoFo houses are, but I know that other halls converted houses are shared.

I really really love my house (hence why I stayed for two years!!). We have our own MASSIVE garden which is fun for playing in (when I don't have to act like a grown up and do lots of work). It feels more like an actual house and you have more freedom, IMO, than you would in the normal pavillions.

We have cleaners in twice a week to do the communal areas. We also have the porters offices at the back of us so if we need something fixing or hatever, they are really quick to do it.

For stuff like laundry and picking up letters/ parcels which can't be pushed under your door, you have to go down to the main JoFo reception/ laundrette but thats only annoying when its dark, cold or raining. In which case, don't do your washing at 6am in the pouring rain like I did today. FML.

P.S. Excuse the messy desk- in the midst of dissertation and essay writing :sadnod:

Thank you so much; extremely helpful :smile: You have a lovely room :smile:
Reply 33
I really can't decide whether I want John Fosters self catered (in the hope of getting a converted house) or GMS. What are the chances of getting a converted house if I apply for JoFo self catered?

Reply 34
I really can't decide whether I want John Fosters self catered (in the hope of getting a converted house) or GMS. What are the chances of getting a converted house if I apply for JoFo self catered?

I really don't want to say 'yeah, its likely' to disappoint you if you don't get to be where you want. However, I don't think there are that many main pavillion (non converted house) rooms which are self catered so thats in your favour. However, I know that self catered is very popular and not everyone gets JoFo self catered.

Also, gap year students often get put in them (or this is certainly the case for The Beeches- where last year every single person bar me and my friend who were 2nd years had taken one.)
Reply 35
Original post by QI Elf
I really don't want to say 'yeah, its likely' to disappoint you if you don't get to be where you want. However, I don't think there are that many main pavillion (non converted house) rooms which are self catered so thats in your favour. However, I know that self catered is very popular and not everyone gets JoFo self catered.

Also, gap year students often get put in them (or this is certainly the case for The Beeches- where last year every single person bar me and my friend who were 2nd years had taken one.)

Thanks for being really honest :smile: I am a gap year student, and would love to live in a converted house. You've made my mind up I think.... I'm going to put it as my first choice (or I'll regret not taking the chance) and like you say... not everyone gets JoFo self catered anyway :smile:

Cheers again :smile:
Reply 36
Thanks for being really honest :smile: I am a gap year student, and would love to live in a converted house. You've made my mind up I think.... I'm going to put it as my first choice (or I'll regret not taking the chance) and like you say... not everyone gets JoFo self catered anyway :smile:

Cheers again :smile:

Then, I think you've got a good chance TBH, better than the most anyway. If you get The Beeches, Room 10...look after it. :colondollar:

I love my room :h:

Right, back to my dissertation. :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by QI Elf
Then, I think you've got a good chance TBH, better than the most anyway. If you get The Beeches, Room 10...look after it. :colondollar:

I love my room :h:

Right, back to my dissertation. :frown:

Awesome :party: and if I get your room, I will look after it! Good luck with the dissertation :h:
Reply 38
I'm living in Allexton, one of the new pavilions in John Foster which is one of the few that are self catered. I took a gap year, and everybody else I've met who is in one of the new self catered pavilions is a gap year student, or a 2nd/3rd year. Good luck with your application!
I hope you all get the complete opposite of what you ask for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending