The Student Room Group

clothes for ice skating date tomorrow evening

what to wear? I want to look nice but not inappropriately dressed for ice skating...

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Whatever you wear, wear it with thick socks cos iceskates that you rent hurt like a bitch.
I would do thick wooly tights
Skirt which'll twirl around prettily
Thick socks
Strappy top
Cardi
Scarf
Coat
Gloves

It's what I wear ice skating =D
Reply 3
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I would do thick wooly tights
Skirt which'll twirl around prettily
Thick socks
Strappy top
Cardi
Scarf
Coat
Gloves

It's what I wear ice skating =D

I take it you're one of those girls that stands at the side and doesn't actually skate? :mmm:

OP, don't wear the above. The strappy top will flash everyone when you fall, ditto the skirt, scarfs are usually banned from rinks, a coat and a cardi is retarded you'll be sweating like hell. Unless you don't intend to actually skate, in which case, wear the above, you'll look so pretty sitting in the cafe drinking latte. :smile:

Original post by Thud
I take it you're one of those girls that stands at the side and doesn't actually skate? :mmm:

OP, don't wear the above. The strappy top will flash everyone when you fall, ditto the skirt, scarfs are usually banned from rinks, a coat and a cardi is retarded you'll be sweating like hell. Unless you don't intend to actually skate, in which case, wear the above, you'll look so pretty sitting in the cafe drinking latte. :smile:

No actually, I'm a girl who skates for the full hour. Strappy tops don't flash anyone, and you're wearing thick tights. I don't fall over while skating though as I'm a proficient skater so never caused any problems from me.

I've never seen a ban on scarfs on the rink. And it depends where she is skating as to whether she'll need a coat or not...in Glasgow it's been -6 for past few days, so a coat is necessary (although I normally take my coat off half-way through).

So yeah, I stand by my choice of clothes for skating, always worked out perfectly for me.
Reply 5
Just wear some jeans, top, jacket and gloves. Enough to give you some flexibility without exposing flesh if you happen to fall over.
Reply 6
Original post by Thud

think you're taking the 'skating' side a bit too seriously... im guessing the OP is just going to one of those outdoor rinks that pop up in most cities during xmas.

OP, if you are going to wear a skirt/dress, make sure you wear thick tights..in case of any falling over incidents, so date doesnt see too much :tongue: gloves and scarf would be good, and layers like cardigans so you can delayer if you go on to a pub or restaurant after skating. and to echo what everyone else has said: thick socks! rented skates are crippling. so wear a nice pair of boots with the outfit (the chunky sock/boot combo is trendy at the mo, so it shouldnt be too much of a turn off, as long as they arent too fugly).
id say keep it casual and pretty, like you havent made too much of an effort (even if you have!)... but defo dont turn up in heels and a dress with your bum and boobs hanging out. goes without saying really.

skating dates are lovelyyy :love: jealous! hope you have a fab time!
Birthday suit :sexface:
Reply 8
Wear some stretchy bottoms - so tights and shorts or leggings, not jeans as it'll make it more difficult if you fall over. Like somebody else said, thick socks are a must, and look quite nice sticking out the top of the skates too. Layers are probably a good call, as it'll be cold to begin with but you'll warm up. So a vest top or tshirt or whatever, and a jumper or two or a gilet or something. Just something simple and practical but with a couple of feminine touches :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by greeneyedgirl
No actually, I'm a girl who skates for the full hour. Strappy tops don't flash anyone, and you're wearing thick tights. I don't fall over while skating though as I'm a proficient skater so never caused any problems from me.

I've never seen a ban on scarfs on the rink. And it depends where she is skating as to whether she'll need a coat or not...in Glasgow it's been -6 for past few days, so a coat is necessary (although I normally take my coat off half-way through).

So yeah, I stand by my choice of clothes for skating, always worked out perfectly for me.

A whole hour? Why didn't you say earlier? An hour, jesus. :rolleyes:

So it's fine to flash your arse at a load of strangers because it's got a pair of tights over it? Ok, sure, whatever floats your boat. You might be a "proficient" skater (ha! You sure sound like it :wink: ) but the OP is clearly not so a skirt is quite possibly one of the most retarded things she could choose to wear. Except maybe the coat and cardi combo. I've been to various rinks and scarfs are usually banned, reason being they don't want them to get caught and people get strangled. Common sense.
Reply 10
OP...A skating date is a real bitch if you are a beginner....I went skating with my bf for our anniversary and I dont think I've ever enjoyed an hour of my life less !!
Original post by busylizzie
what to wear? I want to look nice but not inappropriately dressed for ice skating...

Thanks!

is it a outdoor ice rink or indoor? if indoor wear your normal clothes
if outdoor, wear your clothes normally but with a warm coat

remember! extra pair of socks as the rentals hurts like a bitch

Original post by Thud
A whole hour? Why didn't you say earlier? An hour, jesus. :rolleyes:

So it's fine to flash your arse at a load of strangers because it's got a pair of tights over it? Ok, sure, whatever floats your boat. You might be a "proficient" skater (ha! You sure sound like it :wink: ) but the OP is clearly not so a skirt is quite possibly one of the most retarded things she could choose to wear. Except maybe the coat and cardi combo. I've been to various rinks and scarfs are usually banned, reason being they don't want them to get caught and people get strangled. Common sense.

At the ice rinks which pop up over Christmas, an hour is all you get. If I lived somewhere which had a permanent ice rink, I would skate more.

I don't flash my arse cos I don't fall over :facepalm:
Plus I find jeans are far too restrictive to skate in, so skirts and thick tights give much more freedom and comfort.

And of course, you must know all about my skating abilities since you have seen me skate...oh no, wait a minute, you've just read comments online.

Once again, the likelihood is we are talking about pop up rinks, where scarves are not banned, and they have places for you to put coat if you get hot half way through. :top2:
everyone says wear something warm, but that's surprisingly ill advised - every time ive taken a girl ice skating (play hockey y'see...) even if she clings to the side, theres always eventually a CAN YOU PUT MY COAT TO THE SIDE PLEASE THANKS :biggrin: moment. so wear like, something comfortable - jeggings jeans whatever, normal sorta top and a hoody/zip up that you can easily take off. oh and as everyone has said - extra socks. rental skates hurt like a bitch. £250 bauer hockey skates however.... heaven :rolleyes:
Reply 14
something like:
- http://www.asos.com/Calvin-Klein/Calvin-Klein-Fluffy-Over-The-Knee-Socks/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1353540&cid=7657&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Black
- http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=803999&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208532&parent_categoryId=203984&sort_field=Relevance&pageSize=200
- http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/skirts/short-fairisle-knit-skirt_215655501
- http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2153941&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=230160&parent_categoryId=203984&sort_field=Relevance&pageSize=20&refinements=Colour{1}~[black]
- http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2045777&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208525&parent_categoryId=203984&sort_field=Relevance&pageSize=200
- http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=2078803&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208549&parent_categoryId=204484&sort_field=Relevance&pageSize=20&refinements=Colour{1}~[black]&noOfRefinements=1
Reply 15
Original post by applemilk1992
everyone says wear something warm, but that's surprisingly ill advised - every time ive taken a girl ice skating (play hockey y'see...) even if she clings to the side, theres always eventually a CAN YOU PUT MY COAT TO THE SIDE PLEASE THANKS :biggrin: moment. so wear like, something comfortable - jeggings jeans whatever, normal sorta top and a hoody/zip up that you can easily take off. oh and as everyone has said - extra socks. rental skates hurt like a bitch. £250 bauer hockey skates however.... heaven :rolleyes:

Nice to see a fellow hockey player :five: and surprise surprise you also agree with me about the coat. Funny how that works out. :biggrin:
A smile.
Reply 17
I used to skate a shedload and generally wore trackies, a tshirt and a cardigan (which often got dumped in the home team bench once i'd got going). Not normally acceptable date clothes but practical and flattering.

Oh yeah and the extra sock advice is amazing...I have my own skates but I only wear them on the indoor rinks or half decent outdoor ones because I don't want to wreck the blades (says she whose hometown rink is whitley bay...)
Original post by Thud
Nice to see a fellow hockey player :five: and surprise surprise you also agree with me about the coat. Funny how that works out. :biggrin:

haha yeah man! only EIHA rec though, not THAT good :tongue:
i ususally end up in a tshirt and jogging bottoms when everyone else is in like golves and hats hahaha.
Reply 19
Original post by applemilk1992
tshirt and jogging bottoms.

Best outfit to wear ever if you want to enjoy it, OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending