The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Pre Release Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by himynameisjesss
I'm genuinely so jealous that you get to do the health one, hahaa.
We're doing the rural landscapes one, and to be fair, the question is sooo boring!

I'd rather be doing the one you're doing seen as the culture and environment didn't come up. I'm not too keen on this cultural one at all. At least it isn't focused on globalisation, that I find boring.
Reply 21
I'm not so sure. He he :tongue:
But I haven't seen what the others cover so...

Ben
Original post by Tabers
I'd rather be doing the one you're doing seen as the culture and environment didn't come up. I'm not too keen on this cultural one at all. At least it isn't focused on globalisation, that I find boring.

Hmm true, I wouldn't want this exam being on globalisation and then it possibly being on the summer exam.
Still, I find rural conflicts really boring :| so any alternative would be preferable! But heyyy.

Not looking forward to the timing of the report though,I can't write fast! How'r you finding it all? :smile:
Reply 23
I think that timing is going to be the hardest bit, but I am dreading it anyway.:frown:
Being dyslexic, it isn't exactly easy to do long written exams, for example unit 2 at AS I got a D and the Unit 1 I got a B nearly a A in.
I much prefer the shorter question papers.

Ben
Reply 24
Original post by himynameisjesss
Hmm true, I wouldn't want this exam being on globalisation and then it possibly being on the summer exam.
Still, I find rural conflicts really boring :| so any alternative would be preferable! But heyyy.

Not looking forward to the timing of the report though,I can't write fast! How'r you finding it all? :smile:

My timing is terrible. I struggled with it at GCSE and then in the build up to last years exams. I have written an answer to a question that could come up and its way too long...took me hours to do :frown:. I have no idea how we are meant to write this in an hour and a half and that introduction in 10...there seems to be loads to put in it.

I'm might find the whole rural stuff more interesting than what I have to do. I'm quite interested in the countryside as I want to work there. But at least I've managed to sort out some interesting case studies compared to what other ones people are doing in my class for the same question.
Reply 25
Anyone else out there doing cold environments?
Just wondering how you're tackling our lovely topic . . .
So far just memorising as many climatic processes as possible e.g the babe that milankovitch, and grabbing case studies of polar, temperate and relict glacial environments (and throwing in a bit of periglacial too) then anthropological global warming to finish
Is there anything else people are doing? I honestly can't think how to extend it or what proportion of my revision to focus things on (more distribution, processes or past cold environments?)
Basically anyone else feeling a little baffled and under prepared? :smile:
Original post by Tabers
My timing is terrible. I struggled with it at GCSE and then in the build up to last years exams. I have written an answer to a question that could come up and its way too long...took me hours to do :frown:. I have no idea how we are meant to write this in an hour and a half and that introduction in 10...there seems to be loads to put in it.

I'm might find the whole rural stuff more interesting than what I have to do. I'm quite interested in the countryside as I want to work there. But at least I've managed to sort out some interesting case studies compared to what other ones people are doing in my class for the same question.

Same here :| I can easily spend half an hour on just one section of the report.
Yeah, we've written one in lessons, but there's the same problem - way too long, so hopefully I can cut it down this weekend somehow :confused:

Ah ok, I wanted to do the health question for the same reason as you wanting to do rural!
That's good though. We got given loads of case studies, so everyone at my school has the same ones, but I've done about four others because I don't want an examiner to think - "Oh, another cloned report." Haha
Reply 27
Original post by Amy_D6
what diseases are you doing? are you doing your report by each factor?
sounds good to me!

also, how many and what models is everyone doing health gonna use?

:smile:

i'm doing it by the stages of the Epidemiological Model.
e.g
Stage 1 (and 2) - socioeconomic - poor income/healthcare/poor education - HIV/AIDs endemic. environmental - climate change - increase in malaria, then also going to mention about cholera in Pakistan 2010.. due to water pollution

then, stage 3 and stage 4

going to try and put the kuznets curve in too!!!:biggrin:
Reply 28
:eek: I had forgotten Kuznet (what is it again, I forget :colondollar:) but that was pretty much my plan I hope all goes well and we can use it.

Ben
Reply 29
Here is some of the revision I am doing for human health, if people want to look at it.

Sorry for the abysmal spelling, the program doesn't have a spell-checker.

KEY

House /SES is an Socio economic status case study

Arrows mean globalization related

Flower is environmental

Bomb is all of the above

Smile is a good source

GW is Global warming

Link to image
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cariie
Anyone else out there doing cold environments?
Just wondering how you're tackling our lovely topic . . .
So far just memorising as many climatic processes as possible e.g the babe that milankovitch, and grabbing case studies of polar, temperate and relict glacial environments (and throwing in a bit of periglacial too) then anthropological global warming to finish
Is there anything else people are doing? I honestly can't think how to extend it or what proportion of my revision to focus things on (more distribution, processes or past cold environments?)
Basically anyone else feeling a little baffled and under prepared? :smile:

Both of the above :L Yeah I'm just going through my case studies and typing out the important bits, like a few key facts for each one I can expand on. I'd focus on Cold Environments as a product of Climatic Processes and Global warming, basically, what is it and how did it get there. Rather than doing generic things, do specific locations and how they got there. Show how your theory links into the case studies, and how the thoretical work is shown in either relict of present day case studies (best to have a variety).

I'm brickin it about the exam on tuesday, so you're not the only one, haha :albertein: :smile:
Also, does anyone know what the grade boundaries tend to be?? I have absolutely no idea... :confused:
Reply 32
Original post by thesweatyfox
Also, does anyone know what the grade boundaries tend to be?? I have absolutely no idea... :confused:

In general is about 90% for an A*
80% for an A
70% for a B and so on.. but it varies slightly every year
Reply 33
Hopefully they will lower it a bit as this is only the second time they have run this exam.

Ben
Original post by snowlo18
In general is about 90% for an A*
80% for an A
70% for a B and so on.. but it varies slightly every year

Ahh cheers, I thought it'd be about that but I was wondering if it'd be like last year's biology aqa A2 unit 4 exam, in which in was so hard you only needed like 50% for an A :colone:
For the Human health topic what diagrams could be included in the report?
Reply 36
Both of the above :L Yeah I'm just going through my case studies and typing out the important bits, like a few key facts for each one I can expand on. I'd focus on Cold Environments as a product of Climatic Processes and Global warming, basically, what is it and how did it get there. Rather than doing generic things, do specific locations and how they got there. Show how your theory links into the case studies, and how the thoretical work is shown in either relict of present day case studies (best to have a variety).

I'm brickin it about the exam on tuesday, so you're not the only one, haha :albertein: :smile:

Ah that sounds like what I'm doing, so hey we can't both be wrong :smile: I really do wish there were less climatic processes though . . .there's always one I've forgotten in an practice exam eurgh :frown: ah well best of luck on Tuesday, lets panic through this geographers :smile:
Reply 37
I'm doing Cold Environments too. Completely confusing topic if you ask me, cannot stand this question.
Reply 38
Ahh cheers, I thought it'd be about that but I was wondering if it'd be like last year's biology aqa A2 unit 4 exam, in which in was so hard you only needed like 50% for an A :colone:

Now that would be nice, but doubtful on a pre release :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by billiethekid
For the Human health topic what diagrams could be included in the report?

I am going to be adding OMRAN's Model as a quick sketch in my introduction as well as a graph showing GDP vs Health service performance. those are the only onse i could think of using as we arn't going to need to talk about transmition we carn't draw any of those models.

Ben

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending