The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes someone else thinking of applying xD.
It is really expensive shy of 11,000 Euros a year.
You apply quite late like in May and you're entrace is entirely based on an entrance exam in June encompassing Biology and Chemistry and possibly Maths and Physics.
Living in Prague would be quite nice but it is too expensive and no student support for foreigners I think.
Reply 2
Original post by Ledarifique
You apply quite late like in May and you're entrace is entirely based on an entrance exam in June encompassing Biology and Chemistry and possibly Maths and Physics.
Living in Prague would be quite nice but it is too expensive and no student support for foreigners I think.

Is the entrance test in Prague? Have you heard from anyone who has taken the test? How in depth is the test in relation to A-levels?.... and I haven't studied physics.....
Reply 3
Original post by KingofSpades

Instead of bumping a topic because you haven't gotten your response straight away, maybe check their website?

Took me 2 minutes to find it and I'm not even applying! :tongue:

http://www.cuni.cz/UK-1016.html
Reply 5
Original post by winter_mute
Instead of bumping a topic because you haven't gotten your response straight away, maybe check their website?

found the website

universities tend not to publish their "more questionable" aspects on their own site, but thanks anyway

Also looking for anyone a slight "in the know"
Reply 6
You may aswell apply, fees in England are £9000p/y, whereas they are approximately £10,000p/y and the cost of living is cheaper in Prague.
Reply 7

Ah winter_,ute, so disappointed at the rise in tuition fees. It's going to be hard for us GEM applicants.
Original post by bewafa
Ah winter_,ute, so disappointed at the rise in tuition fees. It's going to be hard for us GEM applicants.

Got interviewed about that today by Sky News. I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear so it probably won't be aired. VBS did one too, I'll let you know if/when it's up!
Reply 9
Got interviewed about that today by Sky News. I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear so it probably won't be aired. VBS did one too, I'll let you know if/when it's up!

Oh you got interviewed .. good one! Ha, I definitely want to see it!
Original post by Ledarifique

http://www.valuemd.com/
this website has a bit of student information on it

the attrition rate is quoted at around 50%
Original post by Hygeia
Ok, there is a common misconception that your university isn't anywhere on your application form for foundation years.

You have to put the university down:

It's just the people scoring the form can't see that bit and therefore the actual scoring of the form is blind to your university and prestige has no bearing on your allocation.

noice

charles uni, here I come
Reply 12
noice

charles uni, here I come

A foreign medical school opens up a whole new can of worms...

charles uni, here I come

I've seen you wittering on about Charles so many times.

Are you trying to bait people with this or something?
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I've seen you wittering on about Charles so many times.

Are you trying to bait people with this or something?

As I've said before, I'm trying to evoke responses from which I can elucidate some clarity on the issue.
Care to contribute?
Original post by Beska
A foreign medical school opens up a whole new can of worms...

for whom and when? the student at the place of study, or the student upon returning to the UK?
Reply 16
for whom and when? the student at the place of study, or the student upon returning to the UK?

Bit of both really, majority of 'worms' being when you return to the UK.

Can you speak Czech fluently? Will you not find clinical years difficult?
As I've said before, I'm trying to evoke responses from which I can elucidate some clarity on the issue.
Care to contribute?

I've heard nothing but horror stories from Charles university. Students being treated poorly, terrible quality of education, being kicked out come clinicals if you haven't mastered Czech. Not to mention that Charles medics don't get the best of reactions when they return to the UK.

Also from speaking to a chap in Prague about Charles, the locals seem to dislike the university also.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska
Bit of both really, majority of 'worms' being when you return to the UK.

Can you speak Czech fluently? Will you not find clinical years difficult?

It being in a foreign country, whose language must be learned, is the only thing about it that appeals to more more than study here.
What worms does it open when returning? I was under the impression that university was irrelevant? Enforcing this opinion is the number of Indian and Eastern European doctors in the UK
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I've heard nothing but horror stories from Charles university. Students being treated poorly, terrible quality of education, being kicked out come clinicals if you haven't mastered Czech. Not to mention that Charles medics don't get the best of reactions when they return to the UK.

Also from speaking to a chap in Prague about Charles, the locals seem to dislike the university also.

yes, it's a shame. I was hoping (foolishly) for some opinion that contrasted all the "wasted 2 years of my life" ones.

:frown:

Latest