The Student Room Group

Why is the WJEC such an awful Exam Board.

Just looked a some of my friends Bio and Chem past papers for OCR. They are sooooo much easier than my WJEC ones!!!! :mad:
Its not only the way they ask the questions it also seems to be the level of detail that is required. It does not seem fair if you ask me!
Has anyone else noticed this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think you should be branding them a "awful" just because they're harder. I've always wondered why the English have just one exam board like Scotland (SQA)?
No its not that. Is the fact that you have to pay for the markschemes.
ARGH don't worry I've expressed my anger to them.
Reply 3
Really? I read WJEC is easier, at least in terms of English exams! I think it takes less work for the GCSE WJEC english exams. I wouldn't be able to take having to do all that work the others had to do.
Reply 4
i do WJEC for RE and i don't like it ethier :frown:
Reply 5
WJEC Maths is a gift, at A-level.
Original post by TimesChanging
No its not that. Is the fact that you have to pay for the markschemes.
ARGH don't worry I've expressed my anger to them.

I know. You do a past paper, and you go to mark it when you realise you actually have to pay for them, unlike for normal Exam boards mark schemes.
Reply 7
for WJEC your teachers will have the mark schemes, just get them to e-mail them to you.
Reply 8
Because they're exams from the valleys.
Reply 9
WJEC gave me an A* for A-level English Lit. I personally think they're rather nice people.
Reply 10
It depends on the subjects whether they're good or not. They're good for English and for foreign languages, in my opinion, but some papers seem a lot more difficult with WJEC. Biology seems easier on other exam boards. =(

I don't think it's fair that the concept of different exam boards exists anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by planetconwy1
Just looked a some of my friends Bio and Chem past papers for OCR. They are sooooo much easier than my WJEC ones!!!! :mad:
Its not only the way they ask the questions it also seems to be the level of detail that is required. It does not seem fair if you ask me!
Has anyone else noticed this?

Ahem, OCR papers look much easier, but they really try to trip you up on stupid tick-box questions and too much 'ideas about science'/ethics rubbish. I should know - i've got an exam in two weeks
Reply 12
it is very annoying the fact you have to pay for the mark schemes as i do physics it is hard to find similar exam boards with similar questions
I do WJEC Geography (A-level) , there is soooo much to learn!
Its *******s
Reply 15
Original post by The Cello Ninja
I do WJEC Geography (A-level) , there is soooo much to learn!

So do I :frown: what topics do you do for G3?
Original post by RoxySoph
So do I :frown: what topics do you do for G3?

Coastal Landforms and India. How about you??
Reply 17
Original post by The Cello Ninja
Coastal Landforms and India. How about you??

Climatic Hazards and China. You taking the exam on the 25th? Im already scared about it haha.
WJEC is an excellent exam board, or at least, it was when I took my GCSEs and A-Levels.

They were the only exam board not to provide formulae sheets, which in many cases for sciences, counts for a good number of marks. A friend of mine went for an interview and was asked to solve a couple of problems, and the interviewer was amazed when he knew how to solve the problems without asking for a particular formula or equation.

The only problem I had with them was at A-Level, when I was taking Computing. WJEC had Teletext in the specification named as a "modern technology"... this was 2009. Teletext hasn't been a modern technology for a decade, but we still had to cover 3 hours' worth of learning on the subject. It was similar through the spec :/
Original post by RoxySoph
Climatic Hazards and China. You taking the exam on the 25th? Im already scared about it haha.

Yup, I'm also pretty nervous, but i've got AQA Maths exam beforehand, and another WJEC paper in Psychology a few days after, so I'm having to prioritise in maths revision at the moment. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest