The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think this is quite right. I find myself more accepting of ignorance amongst girls than I would amongst men of the same age and educational level. I suspect they just have minds that focus more on specific, rather than general, knowledge.

Things that are traditionally considered part of general knowledge - politics, history etc - are also male dominated in academic environments, so perhaps that has something to do with it too.
Reply 81
Original post by CharlieBee_90
Which is still a form of teaching, but still - why do guys 'know' it but girls were only 'taught' it? How do you know I didn't read about it or talk to other people about it (which, oddly enough, is actually how I happen to know about it :fyi:)

I don't, hence the opening disclaimer that of course it will not be true for everyone. Like I said before, I find guys tend to have a greater general knowledge because they look at things outside of the class room where as in general, girls do this far less.
Reply 82
Original post by Jimbo1234
As I have said, my experience has been that the large majority of girls do lack general knowledge.

The large majority of girls?

World population estimate (2009): 6,775,235,741.47

= approximately 3,387,617,870.74 females ("girls", if you will).

You've met and intellectually judged the majority of 3,387,617,870.74 girls?!
Original post by clo-clo1
Yeah babes, did you guess because you know I'm secretly a man.

totes.

I actually have no idea how I knew that it was you.
Reply 84
Original post by Jenny_C
The large majority of girls?

World population estimate (2009): 6,775,235,741.47

= approximately 3,387,617,870.74 females ("girls", if you will).

You've met and intellectually judged the majority of 3,387,617,870.74 girls?!

Well with my controlled survey of all the girls i have met, I would say ~ 75% have no general knowledge so going by that, 75% of British girls are oblivious to the real world. As for foreign girls, I have not met enough to form a solid opinion, but so far they seem much better.
Reply 85
MY general knowledge is FREAKING AMAZING... :smile: you're generalising us though :s-smilie:
Reply 86
Original post by amsie/
MY general knowledge is FREAKING AMAZING... :smile: you're generalising us though :s-smilie:

Did I or did I not say that it is a generalisation?! :angry:
Seriously, learn to read people!
Knowledge has application. Why should people know empty facts, and for what purpose?

If this "girl" didn't know what the Second World War was, then so what? It's no shock horror that not everybody gives a poo about history, even if it is important historical events such as World War Two.
What does general knowledge mean again? I forgot, because I'm a girl.
I'm not sure whether to disagree or agree.. :/ I know many girls that are intelligent to know lots of various common knowledge things (myself included) but if I look at my sister and her friends there is a different story..
Maybe it is all this X Factor/I'm Celeb/Only way is Essex/etc rubbish that girls like to get addicted to, because it gives an outlook of life that is very simplistic. \

However, girls also like to act stupid - I do this alot, even though I'm not :smile:, I guess it gives us attention and makes us looks less serious - what girl wants to debate politics on a night out unless its to say that obama is sexy? we want to have fun and not go back to academics.
OP, most human beings are shallow. This is why pop culture exists, it's a symbiotic relationship between the media and the public.

Why do you care if people don't learn or enrich themselves with knowledge?
i think otherwise.it depends what you talking about and community specific..i mean if you are among the scientists-the meaning of general knowledge is to know about ''particle theory''....so it depends...btw i dnt know abt make-up!
Original post by Summergirl.x
I'm not sure whether to disagree or agree.. :/ I know many girls that are intelligent to know lots of various common knowledge things (myself included) but if I look at my sister and her friends there is a different story..
Maybe it is all this X Factor/I'm Celeb/Only way is Essex/etc rubbish that girls like to get addicted to, because it gives an outlook of life that is very simplistic. \

However, girls also like to act stupid - I do this alot, even though I'm not :smile:, I guess it gives us attention and makes us looks less serious - what girl wants to debate politics on a night out unless its to say that obama is sexy? we want to have fun and not go back to academics.

''obama'' is sexy..lmao.
girls tend to be the soft corner in life..they are not like guys who will fight with you if you say ''arsne wenger has phucked up arsenal in last 2 seasons''!!
Original post by amsie/

ok then answer me
is voldemort gay?:biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by rajandkwameali
Knowledge has application. Why should people know empty facts, and for what purpose?

If this "girl" didn't know what the Second World War was, then so what? It's no shock horror that not everybody gives a poo about history, even if it is important historical events such as World War Two.

It makes them very boring people.
Empty facts = point of conversation = something that you may help you at some point :rolleyes:
Boring is subjective. They may find what you say boring. it seems you cannot relate to others well, and expect them to value what you value.
(edited 13 years ago)
who ever reads it will honestly answer it without taking any help or google it
so my ''general knowledge question is....
was david cameron sexually abused as a child??
Oh, the misogyny. :rolleyes:
Original post by greenforce
''obama'' is sexy..lmao.
girls tend to be the soft corner in life..they are not like guys who will fight with you if you say ''arsne wenger has phucked up arsenal in last 2 seasons''!!

one girl in my politics class went as far as saying david cameron would have got more votes if he had gotten a fake tan. :s-smilie: she seriously believed it.
Original post by CharlieBee_90
Saw thread title, got angry, opened thread, saw who thread starter was, stopped being angry and rolled eyes. I should have known.

For the record, Germany is between France and Poland, WW2 started after Britain and France formed an alliance and signed a pact to defend Poland, Hitler invaded Poland, Britain and France declare war. Japan who are allied with Germany bomb pearl harbour in 1941, America join the war. During this time millions of Jews and other minorities are deported and many perish in concentration camps, Germany invade France and also Russia, who subsequently turn around and kick Germany's arse, meanwhile in Japan America drop the first atomic bomb, Japan surrenders, Italy surrenders, Germany surrenders, Hitler kills himself, everyones happy for a little while until Russia and the US start giving each other dirty looks.

Sorry. I really love WW2 history so I ended up waffling a bit. Anyway, plenty of other girls know the basics.

Wrong, Russia got their arse kicked....

Latest

Trending

Trending