The Student Room Group

Fouth as level essential!?

I know i have asked this a lot, but i need answers please.
Any personal experiences? 3 AS's caused trouble for uni?
Helpppppppp!

Thankss
Reply 1
Universities aren't interested in your AS levels, but more your A-levels as a whole. Traditionally, most people apply to university taking or having taken three A2 subjects. Not a lot of courses, if any, ask for four A2s.

Having said that however, there isn't a reason why anyone with prospects for going to university couldn't handle four AS subjects. While it isn't essential for you to do four subjects, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't.
Reply 2
Most colleges suggest that you take 4 AS levels because it is very manageable (I did 5 and it was ok) and that way if you decide you don't like one of them after the first year you can drop it and still have 3 A2's which are necessary for university.

I think it's a good idea to take 4, even if you're sure that you won't want to drop any of your chosen 3. It's always better to have more than necessary :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Consensus94
Universities aren't interested in your AS levels, but more your A-levels as a whole. Traditionally, most people apply to university taking or having taken three A2 subjects. Not a lot of courses, if any, ask for four A2s.

Having said that however, there isn't a reason why anyone with prospects for going to university couldn't handle four AS subjects. While it isn't essential for you to do four subjects, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't.

Thanks for replying guys but thing i am hating french and really want to drop it, i don't think i wll do too well in it either :/, but i just don't want to be rejected by universities because of me having 3 as level?

Thanks, i really appreciate the advise :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by eve1293
Most colleges suggest that you take 4 AS levels because it is very manageable (I did 5 and it was ok) and that way if you decide you don't like one of them after the first year you can drop it and still have 3 A2's which are necessary for university.

I think it's a good idea to take 4, even if you're sure that you won't want to drop any of your chosen 3. It's always better to have more than necessary :smile:

Thanks for replying guys but thing i am hating french and really want to drop it, i don't think i wll do too well in it either :/, but i just don't want to be rejected by universities because of me having 3 as level?
And, i am pretty sure i will take the three i have on, if i were to drop french :wink:

Reply 5
Original post by diesha

There's no reason to do an AS level if you don't enjoy it. If you work hard and get noteworthy grades in your three subjects then the university will consider you.

Universities are interested in your predictions, your reference, and your PS, not the amount of subjects you take.

What course were you thinking of doing anyway?
Reply 6
There's no reason to do an AS level if you don't enjoy it. If you work hard and get noteworthy grades in your three subjects then the university will consider you.

Universities are interested in your predictions, your reference, and your PS, not the amount of subjects you take.

What course were you thinking of doing anyway?

Oh i see, yes because my head of year is all for just doing 3 but i just get so put off by the whole oh theres too much competition, and not having 4 as leves puts you below average :frown:

I am thinking of either doing human geography, do not know where though, or biological sciences at manchaster, birmingham or leeds, however i do not know if they are one of those specific ones that ask for a fourth as....
And, one of them says for the third non science a level, 2 as leves accepted, that means i need 4 right? :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by diesha
Oh i see, yes because my head of year is all for just doing 3 but i just get so put off by the whole oh theres too much competition, and not having 4 as leves puts you below average :frown:

I am thinking of either doing human geography, do not know where though, or biological sciences at manchaster, birmingham or leeds, however i do not know if they are one of those specific ones that ask for a fourth as....
And, one of them says for the third non science a level, 2 as leves accepted, that means i need 4 right? :frown:

Your head of year is right for the wrong reasons. Sixth form heads typically want to protect standards, and mathematically three A-levels are easier to manage than four.

You have the option of picking up an AS level at the start of year 13, and three A2s and one AS is very doable. You don't need to stick to fourth AS level you're doing right now.
Reply 8
Your head of year is right for the wrong reasons. Sixth form heads typically want to protect standards, and mathematically three A-levels are easier to manage than four.

You have the option of picking up an AS level at the start of year 13, and three A2s and one AS is very doable. You don't need to stick to fourth AS level you're doing right now.

Oh i see, well he has told a girl who wants to go to oxford drop her fourth and she did as she could not cope :redface:

Yes, but you see, i don't really like any of the subjects in that block, and i do not want to be doing a left over subject, so i think i shall see how it goes for a bit, and if i really feel it is not going well i will drop, to be honest it is more the class, as they are so good, i feel so dumb and uncomfortable :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest