The Student Room Group

Q: Extra Time in Exams for Wrong-Handed People?

EDIT2: Let me make it clear that I ask simply out of curiosty. I am not in the situation described below...

Just wondering whether students who were born to be left-handed but were forced to write with their right hand - and are now only able to write with their right hand - are allowed extra time during exams, like dyslexic students?

Thanks in advance :smile:

EDIT: I ask because a friend said so and I was very sceptical
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
Nope.
Forced to write with your right hand?

Where did you go to school, camp X-ray?
Reply 4
no. you should get less time for even asking that question.
How can you only be able to write with your right hand?
Right, I taught myself to write with my left hand last year just because I got incredibly bored (as you do) and I can write just as well with my left as I can with my right now- so I doubt you need more time to write with the hand you've been using since you first started to write!
Original post by tripleeagle
Just wondering whether students who were born to be left-handed but were forced to write with their right hand - and are now only able to write with their right hand - are allowed extra time during exams, like dyslexic students?

No, you aren't left handed any more, you are now right handed, why do you need extra time?

I was left handed, but broke my elbow at a young age and had to learn to redo everything with my right hand and my writing is legible and it doesn't take me long to write.

Why would you get extra time?

Do you mean if you have a broken arm/hand during the test? If so yes you get extra time.

Did this person being forced to write with there right hand go to a catholic school by any chance? They tend to shun lefties due to the ties with witches. (I know this from personal experience, not from large assumptions)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
No, but I believe people with cross dominance should be eligable for it (they're not currently). I write with my right hand, but other things I do with my left, and for some things, both hands feel 'wrong' so I don't know which one to use. :dontknow:
Reply 9
Original post by jimcatinnes
No, you aren't left handed any more, you are now right handed, why do you need extra time?

Why would you get extra time?

Original post by Gemma :)!
Right, I taught myself to write with my left hand last year just because I got incredibly bored (as you do) and I can write just as well with my left as I can with my right now- so I doubt you need more time to write with the hand you've been using since you first started to write!

I never said it was me who needed extra time! Why do you make this assumption? I ask simply out of curiosity...
I never said it was me who needed extra time! Why do you make this assumption? I ask simply out of curiosity...

..and we gave you answers, didn't we?
Reply 11
Original post by Gemma :)!
..and we gave you answers, didn't we?

Apologies - I assumed that by "you", you meant me specifically :smile:
Original post by ritchie888

Saying that my Uncle was born left handed and his school teachers made him write with his right hand, not sure why though.
But this was back in the 60's and in the Caribbean so probably not the case now.
Reply 13
EDIT2: Let me make it clear that I ask simply out of curiosty. I am not in the situation described below...

Born to be left handed? What the hell? You don't born to be left handed, it comes through nurture. And why should you be allowed extra time if you can only write with your right hand? I can only write with my right hand..... uhm, what's the problem with that?
Reply 14

To be fair I remember getting told off for being left handed. My brother was left handed but was forced to change when he was younger. At junior school my writing would smudge as a result of being left handed and I'd have my work ripped out of my book and made to do it again, without smudges. Hardly my fault. I also remember being told off for looping my f's,g's, s's and y's. I had that shouted out of me too.
Reply 15
Original post by TWF
Born to be left handed? What the hell? You don't born to be left handed, it comes through nurture.

It's genetic... People don't just "decide" to be left or right-handed.

Original post by TWF
And why should you be allowed extra time if you can only write with your right hand? I can only write with my right hand..... uhm, what's the problem with that?

That wasn't the issue. I was asking about people who were meant to be writing with their right hand genetically but, through nurture, are now obliged to write with their left hand. The problem in the exam might be that people find it more difficult to write clearly and legibly as well as at a correct speed.
Original post by TVC15
To be fair I remember getting told off for being left handed. My brother was left handed but was forced to change when he was younger. At junior school my writing would smudge as a result of being left handed and I'd have my work ripped out of my book and made to do it again, without smudges. Hardly my fault. I also remember being told off for looping my f's,g's, s's and y's. I had that shouted out of me too.

Where did YOU go to school at?

A state school in Poland between 1939 and 1945?

But seriously, that's unbelievable, especially as 1 in 3 are left handed.
Reply 17

This happened to my father in a British school in the 50s/60s. For some reason they didn't 'believe' in people being left-handed.
This happened to my father in a British school in the 50s/60s. For some reason they didn't 'believe' in people being left-handed.

All polar bears are left handed.

Fact.
Reply 19

It's ridiculous! Looking back on it now I can appreciate how awful the (relatively) early years of my education was. Someone commented on here at it happens at Catholic school, at my one at least they didn't mind whatsoever but when I left was when I got all the grief. I'm also dyslexic too and so I had the teachers telling me I was stupid and lazy. Wonderful education system eh? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest