The Student Room Group

York Chemistry Interview Tomorrow

I have an interview at York uni tomorrow. From the email, I think it's relatively informal, but I was wondering what sort of questions I'm likely to get asked, and basically what to expect. Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Can i second this? I have an interview and from the email it sounds informal...but i'm worried they'll sit me down and rip my personal statement to shreds or something. Any advice?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Just to state the obvious, prepare your answers for...

Why this uni?
Why in general do you want to do your chosen subject?
What specific aspects of your chosen subject do you like best?
What do you want to do after you graduate?
What's your school/college like?
How was your journey here?

I'm not joking about the last two - I've seen interviewees stumble and get all hot and bothered over polite introductions!

Go through your personal statement with a fine tooth comb looking not just for holes, but for potential points of discussion. Better yet, get someone else to do that. It can be very simple things. I've tripped up people who claim to spend their leisure time 'reading books and going to the theatre' by simply asking what they had read/watched last and seen them grope helplessly for an answer because it was something they had put down to make themselves look intelligent. Instead, they look full of bullsh*t!
Wow, this was a while ago. From what I remember of the interview, it was as informal as I expected. Here's what I remember:

We were given a talk about the university and the structure of the course by the head of school/course organiser/something like that. Afterwards, we were split into groups. One went for a tour of the campus and the school, the other went for their interviews.

In my interview, I was asked the obvious - why this uni, why this course, what do you eventually want to do. Then, I was asked what we'd studied most recently in chemistry, and asked some questions on that (just making sure what you're talking about, rather than deeply testing your knowledge I think). The guy then talked about my specific interests within chemistry (that he got from my personal statement) and which options I could choose to study them. We also talked about where I'm from, what my hobbies were, part-time work, etc. It was all quite friendly to be honest.

After the interviews and tour, we had a question and answer session with the guy who gave the first presentation, and then we left. I got a letter the next week confirming my offer.

Hope this helps and good luck with your interview - its honestly nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending