The Student Room Group

Apply for Arabic at Oxford or Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lechaton-x
SOMEONE DOING ARABIC! I AM IN LOVE.

But anyway, that's my two cents. I didn't apply to Edinburgh. Just SOAS, Leeds, St. Andrews, Exeter and Manchester...

I chose Exeter. The building is beautiful, travel bursaries and really good staff :smile: I like the course too...

You forgot to mention that the students are the best at Exeter too :wink:
Original post by twinkle243
Yep I'm in my first year, yourself?

We're doing Al Kitab and reached chapter 10. Still feel like I know nothing though! How far have you got?

(Al Kitab seems like a pretty generic study book used by universities. If you don't use it I'll let you know more specific grammar)

Yeah we're doing Al-Kitaab too. I feel like I've got a strong bond with Khalid and lonely Maha. We've gotten to chapter 10 too - so I'm guessing you're not just doing language work? I've been doing a bit out of Haywood and Nahmed (I think that's correct) too. Lovely little book - yep, just called a grammar book 'lovely'.
Original post by Anatheme
Magical in what sense? :colondollar:

Aha, I suppose in the way that I can just picture lots of little narrow alleyways full of people smoking sheesha, eating shawarma and lapping up lots of general Arab loveliness. I am I somewhere near the truth? Ha.
Where did you stay in Damascus? With a family or in a flat (or something similar)?
Reply 23
i'd personally choose the one where i'd be more likely to meet timothy winter :colondollar:
Reply 24
Original post by boysenberry
Yeah we're doing Al-Kitaab too. I feel like I've got a strong bond with Khalid and lonely Maha. We've gotten to chapter 10 too - so I'm guessing you're not just doing language work? I've been doing a bit out of Haywood and Nahmed (I think that's correct) too. Lovely little book - yep, just called a grammar book 'lovely'.

did you hear about khalid's chick getting engaged to that engineer? it's like middle eastenders!:biggrin:
Original post by farhaz_j
did you hear about khalid's chick getting engaged to that engineer? it's like middle eastenders!:biggrin:

Khalid's chick? I've yet to hear of this woman. But I know Khalid's an absolute lad anyways.
Reply 26
Khalid's chick? I've yet to hear of this woman. But I know Khalid's an absolute lad anyways.

Unfortunately Khalid isn't as much of a lad as you'd expect, he is shy around girls due to the break up of his last relationship. His friend Tariq is much more of a lad - his favourite hobby is 'romantic experiences' :biggrin:
Hi all,

I saw this thread on Arabic, was just wondering if it would be way too hard to study Arabic as an additional 'thing' alongside my BA French and German. Most unis have those language centres etc. and offer evening classes.

I am able to read it fluently because my parents taught me as a kid but my writing and speaking skills are basically non-existent. I just feel being able to read it is a useless skill but can't really afford to have lessons so uni is my only chance really before i'm too old for it all to sink in.

Any advice?
Reply 28
Original post by Captain Wentworth
Hi all,

I saw this thread on Arabic, was just wondering if it would be way too hard to study Arabic as an additional 'thing' alongside my BA French and German. Most unis have those language centres etc. and offer evening classes.

I am able to read it fluently because my parents taught me as a kid but my writing and speaking skills are basically non-existent. I just feel being able to read it is a useless skill but can't really afford to have lessons so uni is my only chance really before i'm too old for it all to sink in.

Any advice?

Reply 29
Hi I'm applying for French and Arabic hopefully and I can't decide between Oxford and Cambridge does anyone know specifically what the Arabic side of the course consists of? Like module wise? Also I have a very strong GCSE profile and good a levels but not sky high UMS, do you think I could still get an interview from Cambridge even without sky high UMS and really strong personal statement?
Reply 30
So who got offers for Arabic at Oxbridge this year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the year abroad there are programmes in Cairo (who knows if it'll still be choice next year), Jordan and Damascus. I'm definitely going for Damascus! .
Best choice :king1:
hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Reply 32
I am so glad I got to spend time in Syria, it was a wonderful country at the time.

Hey I'm Syrian, so tell me what did you like the best over there at that time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Llamageddon
hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I'm sure it was. There are certainly places I would love to have seen. I'm pretty sure the 2011/2012 academic year was not a particularly good year to be there though.
Asalaam alaykum,i'm asking i'm from tanzania working here in uk and need a scholarship for Islamic study,how can I apply?thanks,
I'm planning on applying for French and Arabic, possibly at Oxford.

Does anyone have any Arabic literature suggestions (that can be books, poems, short stories, anything) - obviously in translation - that I can get my teeth into as someone who wants to start exploring Arabic culture?

Many thanks!
Reply 36
You can't get wrong with Rumi, he is a fantastic poet!
Reply 37
good website for arabic notes
http://arabicnotes.jigsy.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending