The Student Room Group

Could someone tell me what happens financially for students?

I am still a student in high school, but I'm thinking about what I'd want to do in the future, and I think I'd quite like to go to uni.

I'm not from a particually well off family though, and I'm not entirely sure about how the government helps students.

So could anyone explain to me how the government helps out? My dad said something like if you earn less than £21,000 you get your tuition paid, and pay for it when you start working. That sounds a bit too-good-too-be-true in my head, so is he right, first of all? And are there any other government schemes that happen?

Also, could someone tell me how much they've been needing to help support them? Like, cost of rent, cost of food, how much they earn, whatever.

I'm trying to get into my head how well I'd survive financially, because that (as well as my exam results, obviously) would be the only thing holding me back. HELP PLEASE :biggrin:
All students borrow the tuition fees. They are paid off when you start to earn above a certain threshold.
For living expenses you can get a maintenance loan and the poorest families can get a maintenance grant (which isn't paid back) to supplement the loan.

I suggest you have a good read through all of the link.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/index.htm
Reply 2
thanksss :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending