The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get 4A* in these subjects

English
History
Maths
Physics

I am thinking of doing Law at University but I am not completely sure if Physics would be suitable for Law, what other subject can I pick as a fourth subject that is suitable for Law and isn't a 'soft' subject.
Well if you're naturally clever at all of them/ are willing to put the work in/ enjoy them it's not impossible :smile:
I do history and english and it really is the case of being bothered to do the work, if you do= win, if you dont= most likely (apart from some genius guys) fail.
Reply 2
To be fair, Uni's don't generally care what A levels you do when you apply for Law as long as you've got very good grades and haven't picked as you said 'soft' subjects. Your choices are good, especially English and History but you may be well advised to keep Maths and Physics as it demonstrates you can think in a logical scientific way.
maths and physics are probably the easiest to get an A* (in my opinion)

and take a look at the trinity list, and unis admissions websites etc to help your choice
Reply 4
Law Departments like languages at A level so maybe try that.
Reply 5
Original post by sjones102
Law Departments like languages at A level so maybe try that.

lol I'm crap at languages so thats not an option 4 me
Reply 6
Stick with what you have they are all good
Reply 7
Original post by SamuelFF
To be fair, Uni's don't generally care what A levels you do when you apply for Law as long as you've got very good grades and haven't picked as you said 'soft' subjects. Your choices are good, especially English and History but you may be well advised to keep Maths and Physics as it demonstrates you can think in a logical scientific way.

are u sure?
Original post by lilzoldier

English
History
Maths
Physics

I am thinking of doing Law at University but I am not completely sure if Physics would be suitable for Law, what other subject can I pick as a fourth subject that is suitable for Law and isn't a 'soft' subject.

http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/applying/courses/law/

"Arts subjects at A-level are not required for the study of Law. Many applicants who study only Sciences subjects at A-level have achieved fine results in Law at Churchill. Because we believe that the more 'traditional' and rigorous A-level subjects provide the best preparation for the study of Law, we greatly prefer subjects such as Mathematics, Further Mathematics, History, Latin, Greek, English Language, English Literature, Philosophy, Physics, Chemistry, Government & Politics, Economics, Psychology, French or any other foreign language, Classics, Biology, Geography, and so forth. Thought we do not frown upon the taking of Law at A-level, we do not in any way require it or even recommend it. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to take four A-level subjects. Taking more than four subjects is perfectly acceptable but not necessary; what is necessary is that you attain excellent marks in four A-levels."

Your options are fine according to Churchill College, Cambridge.
Reply 9
i'd say no a level subjects is easy to get the A* as you can really chilax in AS or A2. i'd say maths coz a lil bit of c1 is like gcse maths and the rest of the modules build on from that.
but if u put the effoty in from the beginning, then you should be fine. just focus on cracking ur gcse's for now
Are you some super genius? Because 4 A*s will be difficult even for the more talented. Not impossible sure, but...

Anyways, your subjects look fine for law.
1/ why should it matter whether it's easy/hard? if you want to do law then surely you're not just going along for the ride...
2/ it all depends on natural ability in things like maths and science, whereas it's fairly easy to learn to the test and write to the syllabus in subjects like English regardless of whether you have a talent for writing or not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Perfectly possible to get A*s in English, History and Maths, can't really say much about Physics except everyone in my year doing it is being raped by it. Solid combo of subjects though.
Reply 13
English
History
Maths
Physics

Your choices are basically perfect. For Law, History is the main one. English is a good choice, as is Maths. You've got a science in there too. That shows breadth of study which is also a plus. Other subjects you could consider: Economics, English Lit, Philosophy, Politics or a Foreign Language.

Getting 4A*s should be possible (well, technically it IS possible). You just need to work hard at the appropriate times and you should be fine :smile:
Reply 14
Government and Politics?
English
History
Maths
Physics

Work hard and you will end up with 4A*s. You have to take the exams one by one, and aim for 90% or more in each of them to make sure.How about A-level law as a fourth subject?
If not that then a pick a foreign language
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest