The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Cultural Diversity @ Sheffield uni ...

Im thinking of applying there and i was told there arent many different cultural backgrounds (& people can sometimes be racist). Im not too fussed im just worried that it might be a huge cultural shock compared to London.

Edit: Sorry if i offend anyone!
Who told you that? Do they actually go to Sheff?

I have never heard of any racism here (that's not to say it doesn't happen but it certainly isn't common, the same as for anywhere else in the country) and there are plenty of different nationalities - there are 3,700 international students studying here from 120 countries (http://www.shef.ac.uk/international/enquiry/whysheffield). There are also a load of cultural and religious societies (see http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/get-involved/societies/national/). Please don't let anyone dissuade you from applying if their only evidence is hearsay or an isolated bad experience, I'm sure you would have a fab time in Sheffield :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by -honeybee-
Who told you that? Do they actually go to Sheff?

I have never heard of any racism here (that's not to say it doesn't happen but it certainly isn't common, the same as for anywhere else in the country) and there are plenty of different nationalities - there are 3,700 international students studying here from 120 countries (http://www.shef.ac.uk/international/enquiry/whysheffield). There are also a load of cultural and religious societies (see http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/get-involved/societies/national/). Please don't let anyone dissuade you from applying if their only evidence is hearsay or an isolated bad experience, I'm sure you would have a fab time in Sheffield :smile:

Thanks for the reply, by the looks of it sheffield is quite diverse (silly me for beleiving what people say :tongue:). Are you attending Sheffield as i have a few more (silly) questions :smile:
Original post by my_anon
Thanks for the reply, by the looks of it sheffield is quite diverse (silly me for beleiving what people say :tongue:). Are you attending Sheffield as i have a few more (silly) questions :smile:

Yes, ask away!
Reply 4
HAHA just read my first post - i should have said im thinking of applying to make it my firm (well Sheffield or Leeds)!
Sorry in advance for the ambushing you with questions & thanks!

1. I've seen a few threads were people have complained about being lonely at sheffield uni - at first i thought it was a coincidence but there are quite a few unhappy people - how was it for you when you first started.

2. What accommodation do you recommend - i was looking into it & I like the look of Endcliffe but i have heard that it is quite far from the campus & Opal 2 is nearer.

3. How easy is it to get a part-time job nearby?

3. One of the things that attracted me to the university what the affordability - i.e. buses are 50p, drinks at clubs are 1.50 etc. Is this really true (its a really hard concept for me to believe as a Londoner who has to pay £2 for a bus journey)
It seemed quite diverse when I went for an open day. It had the most ethnic minorities in my 'group' compared to Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Reply 6
Original post by RamocitoMorales
It seemed quite diverse when I went for an open day. It had the most ethnic minorities in my 'group' compared to Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Can i ask why you picked aberdeen over sheffield & leeds :smile:

Edit: what is the opportunity to study in America (nice study abroad choices btw)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Last year, I shared a flat of 6 with a Nigerian, Indian, Italian, 2 English people and I'm only half English myself. I'd say Sheffield uni is pretty diverse :smile:
Original post by my_anon
Can i ask why you picked aberdeen over sheffield & leeds :smile:

I picked Leeds over Sheffield. Aberdeen was my insurance (in my second application).

The thing about Sheffield is that it's very 'down to earth', which some people like, but it's not really my sort of thing. I prefer university to feel a bit more grand, as it were. But that's just me.

Sheffield seemed quite a nice university, it just wasn't my sort of place.

my_anon
Edit: what is the opportunity to study in America (nice study abroad choices btw)

Basically, at Aberdeen (and at quite a lot of universities, including Leeds, Glasgow and Edinburgh), you can apply in your first year to spend your second year at an overseas institution.

I've just checked, and it turns out that you can do this at Sheffield too: http://www.shef.ac.uk/studyabroad/sheffield/prospective.

In order to be eligible for this, at least for me, you need to achieve good grades in all of your modules during your first semester. For the application process, I had to write out a list of five universities I wanted to go to, and reasons for choosing them. I had to talk with my academic advisor and head of school and get references from them. Then I went through an interview where I was asked why I wanted to take part in the scheme. And now I'm just focusing on getting the grades.

I hope this helped.
Original post by my_anon
HAHA just read my first post - i should have said im thinking of applying to make it my firm (well Sheffield or Leeds)!

1. I've seen a few threads were people have complained about being lonely at sheffield uni - at first i thought it was a coincidence but there are quite a few unhappy people - how was it for you when you first started.

2. What accommodation do you recommend - i was looking into it & I like the look of Endcliffe but i have heard that it is quite far from the campus & Opal 2 is nearer.

3. One of the things that attracted me to the university what the affordability - i.e. buses are 50p, drinks at clubs are 1.50 etc. Is this really true (its a really hard concept for me to believe as a Londoner who has to pay £2 for a bus journey)

1. I was a bit homesick when I first started (but I think it hit me more because it was completely unexpected) but I wouldn't say lonely. My flat had 10 people in it and there were loads of other flats in my block and in the first few weeks everyone is desperate to make friends so there are loads of opportunities. The events in freshers week are really good for getting to know people as well and there are new events all through the year. And each flat has a mentor (older student) who comes round and makes sure you're all getting on, have no problems etc. Our mentor was AMAZING, seriously, someone in my flat had a problem and our mentor went way beyond what we expected to help them sort it. He also used to pop round randomly, bring us sweets etc, he was really nice. The uni has so many things set up to help you if you have a problem, but I suppose it's up to the individual to take them up. As for there being more 'lonely in Sheffield' threads, maybe it's because you're applying here so you check this board more than a uni you're not applying to? I don't know. I think your experience largely depends on what you make of it + whether you get on with your flatmates.

2. I was in Endcliffe and that's what I would recommend! It has a real community atmosphere and the accomodation + grounds are fab. Although Ranmoor is largely the same (but a little bit further away from uni, Endcliffe is a 20 min walk, Ranmoor is 5/10 mins more) when I was there a lot of people complained it was quiet and The Ridge bar didn't have long opening hours compared to The Edge at Endcliffe. I have no idea what it's like now though so it may have improved. I don't know much about Opal 2. It is closer (not a massive difference though cos Opal 2 is an uphill walk to uni + town) but it doesn't have the grounds that Endcliffe has and I don't think there seemed to be as many community related events there.

3. The Union has a job shop to help students find part time work and there are opportunites working at the union, as well as at Meadowhall (shopping centre) and in town. Never actually looked for a job myself though so not sure on details.

4. Yes it is definately true! The buses are 50p with a student card and you can get drinks cheaper than £1.50 (50p at Corp). I have no idea how expensive things are in London (I live in the country) but I would imagine it's a lot cheaper in Sheff. A taxi is around £5 from Endcliffe to the union (split 5 ways = very cheap).

Wow, have written quite a lot, sorry!
Reply 10
Original post by my_anon

Not the person you were asking but I thought I'd answer anyway... :smile:

1) I was lonely when I first started, but I applied through clearing so they had to put me in The Forge, and so it was really hard to meet people. Plus, I'm not that good at meeting people anyway.

2) I'd recommend Endcliffe for first years cos it's easier to meet people, it's more sociable, there's more going on etc. All that is important in first year. It's about 30 mins walk or a 15 min bus journey, but there are loads of buses and students can get a single ticket for 50p.
[ETA: I'm living in Opal 2 now but that's cos I'm in my fourth year, and living somewhere quiet, comfy and 2 mins away from the chemistry department is a priority this year. I don't want to meet new people.]

3) There's a job shop at the student union which advertises and helps you find part time jobs, and a careers service to help you with the more long term kind of jobs. There's quite a lot of jobs going I think, but you'd probably have to look quickly, not leave it til like November.

4) Not all buses are 50p, but it is possible to get anywhere you need to in sheffield for 50p if you have a student card, and the 50p buses are every few minutes in between sheffield uni, endcliffe, crookes and the town centre.

And drinks aren't £1.50 everywhere, but they are usually about half the price of drinks in London, and there are drinks offers at the union a lot, like shot and mixer for £1.50, or £1 a pint, or 2 bottles of alcopops for the price of 1. And if you go to Corporation you can get a shot of vodka for 50p, but I'd advise you to be drunk enough beforehand that you can't taste it. :-P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by my_anon

It was the first city in the UK to run the City of Sanctuary project and is *very* ethnically diverse as a place and I think as a uni as well. Also, I know it is incredibly anecdotal but my friend is SO happy at Sheffield - she loves it more than anyone I know loves their Uni, including people at Oxford.
Reply 12
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I picked Leeds over Sheffield. Aberdeen was my insurance (in my second application). The thing about Sheffield is that it's very 'down to earth', which some people like, but it's not really my sort of thing. I prefer university to feel a bit more grand, as it were. But that's just me. Sheffield seemed quite a nice university, it just wasn't my sort of place.
Basically, at Aberdeen (and at quite a lot of universities, including Leeds, Glasgow and Edinburgh), you can apply in your first year to spend your second year at an overseas institution.
I've just checked, and it turns out that you can do this at Sheffield too: http://www.shef.ac.uk/studyabroad/sheffield/prospective.
In order to be eligible for this, at least for me, you need to achieve good grades in all of your modules during your first semester. For the application process, I had to write out a list of five universities I wanted to go to, and reasons for choosing them. I had to talk with my academic advisor and head of school and get references from them. Then I went through an interview where I was asked why I wanted to take part in the scheme. And now I'm just focusing on getting the grades.
I hope this helped.

I guess uni choice is down to personal preference but the study abroad option looks really exciting (thanks for giving me information of the eligibility & application process). Good luck with you future studies at Aberdeen :smile: !
Reply 13
Original post by -honeybee-
1. I was a bit homesick when I first started (but I think it hit me more because it was completely unexpected) but I wouldn't say lonely. My flat had 10 people in it and there were loads of other flats in my block and in the first few weeks everyone is desperate to make friends so there are loads of opportunities. The events in freshers week are really good for getting to know people as well and there are new events all through the year. And each flat has a mentor (older student) who comes round and makes sure you're all getting on, have no problems etc. Our mentor was AMAZING, seriously, someone in my flat had a problem and our mentor went way beyond what we expected to help them sort it. He also used to pop round randomly, bring us sweets etc, he was really nice. The uni has so many things set up to help you if you have a problem, but I suppose it's up to the individual to take them up. As for there being more 'lonely in Sheffield' threads, maybe it's because you're applying here so you check this board more than a uni you're not applying to? I don't know. I think your experience largely depends on what you make of it + whether you get on with your flatmates.

2. I was in Endcliffe and that's what I would recommend! It has a real community atmosphere and the accomodation + grounds are fab. Although Ranmoor is largely the same (but a little bit further away from uni, Endcliffe is a 20 min walk, Ranmoor is 5/10 mins more) when I was there a lot of people complained it was quiet and The Ridge bar didn't have long opening hours compared to The Edge at Endcliffe. I have no idea what it's like now though so it may have improved. I don't know much about Opal 2. It is closer (not a massive difference though cos Opal 2 is an uphill walk to uni + town) but it doesn't have the grounds that Endcliffe has and I don't think there seemed to be as many community related events there.

3. The Union has a job shop to help students find part time work and there are opportunites working at the union, as well as at Meadowhall (shopping centre) and in town. Never actually looked for a job myself though so not sure on details.

4. Yes it is definately true! The buses are 50p with a student card and you can get drinks cheaper than £1.50 (50p at Corp). I have no idea how expensive things are in London (I live in the country) but I would imagine it's a lot cheaper in Sheff. A taxi is around £5 from Endcliffe to the union (split 5 ways = very cheap).

Wow, have written quite a lot, sorry!

Original post by lazyswot
Not the person you were asking but I thought I'd answer anyway... :smile:

1) I was lonely when I first started, but I applied through clearing so they had to put me in The Forge, and so it was really hard to meet people. Plus, I'm not that good at meeting people anyway.

2) I'd recommend Endcliffe for first years cos it's easier to meet people, it's more sociable, there's more going on etc. All that is important in first year. It's about 30 mins walk or a 15 min bus journey, but there are loads of buses and students can get a single ticket for 50p.

3) There's a job shop at the student union which advertises and helps you find part time jobs, and a careers service to help you with the more long term kind of jobs. There's quite a lot of jobs going I think, but you'd probably have to look quickly, not leave it til like November.

4) Not all buses are 50p, but it is possible to get anywhere you need to in sheffield for 50p if you have a student card, and the 50p buses are every few minutes in between sheffield uni, endcliffe, crookes and the town centre.

And drinks aren't £1.50 everywhere, but they are usually about half the price of drinks in London, and there are drinks offers at the union a lot, like shot and mixer for £1.50, or £1 a pint, or 2 bottles of alcopops for the price of 1. And if you go to Corporation you can get a shot of vodka for 50p, but I'd advise you to be drunk enough beforehand that you can't taste it. :-P

Endcliffe it is then (now I’m definitely putting it as my firm). I guess the main thing is to get involved in as many activities as possible (& by the looks of it there is quite of lot of things e.g. rock-climbing :woo:).
@honeybee I hope I have a mentor who will bring me sweets too!
Im really grateful for that everyone has taken the time to give me such detailed replies!
Reply 14
Original post by BookWormShanti
It was the first city in the UK to run the City of Sanctuary project and is *very* ethnically diverse as a place and I think as a uni as well. Also, I know it is incredibly anecdotal but my friend is SO happy at Sheffield - she loves it more than anyone I know loves their Uni, including people at Oxford.

Im starting to see why, it sounds like such a friendly uni.

Edit: I'm thinking of going to Sheffield uni too my_anon pm me!
(edited 13 years ago)
I know these questions weren't aimed at me, but I thought I'd answer then just to show you another opinion of Sheffield.

I think this could just be the people on TSR. The drop out rate at this Uni is pretty low, and I honestly havn't seen anyone that lonely. Its not hard to make friends here, its a tight knit Uni and everyone seems to know everybody which is really lovely! I honestly have to say that I have never spent a day when I regretted coming here. Love it to bits! I would say out of all my friends I reckon I'm probably the happiest at Uni. I am staying in Sheffield after graduation too! Amazing city.

I would definately go for Endcliffe or Ranmoor. Yes, they are further away - but only a 20 min walk from the Uni buildings. They are social and the place where the majority of students are so its a shame to end up in Opal when most other people on your course will be elsewhere.

3. How easy is it to get a part-time job nearby? Its not easy but its not impossible. I work at the Union, it took me about 5 months to properly secure a decent job though as Sept-Dec everyone seems to be looking.

Most buses are 50p yes - but I probably get a bus about twice a month. Everywhere is in walkable distance, even the clubs. When you go on nights out most people just share a £5 taxi journey ( Very cheap). Rents, drinks etc all half the price of anything in London. Its great!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Ree-Shay
Im starting to see why, it sounds like such a friendly uni.

Edit: I'm thinking of going to Sheffield uni too my_anon pm me!

PM'ed :biggrin:

Original post by mollymustard
I know these questions weren't aimed at me, but I thought I'd answer then just to show you another opinion of Sheffield.

I think this could just be the people on TSR. The drop out rate at this Uni is pretty low, and I honestly havn't seen anyone that lonely. Its not hard to make friends here, its a tight knit Uni and everyone seems to know everybody which is really lovely! I honestly have to say that I have never spent a day when I regretted coming here. Love it to bits! I would say out of all my friends I reckon I'm probably the happiest at Uni. I am staying in Sheffield after graduation too! Amazing city.

I would definately go for Endcliffe or Ranmoor. Yes, they are further away - but only a 20 min walk from the Uni buildings. They are social and the place where the majority of students are so its a shame to end up in Opal when most other people on your course will be elsewhere.

3. How easy is it to get a part-time job nearby? Its not easy but its not impossible. I work at the Union, it took me about 5 months to properly secure a decent job though as Sept-Dec everyone seems to be looking.

Most buses are 50p yes - but I probably get a bus about twice a month. Everywhere is in walkable distance, even the clubs. When you go on nights out most people just share a £5 taxi journey ( Very cheap). Rents, drinks etc all half the price of anything in London. Its great!

Thanks alot for the reply from everything i've heard im starting to really like sheffield (i can't wait to go to the open day). Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions & Goodluck with your PGCE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending