The Student Room Group

Grades needed to study economics in Uni?

Hi,

I am currently doing my GCSEs now. I am getting B/As at the moment and I have chosen to do Economics, Business Studies, Maths and Product Design for my A-Levels. I want to do Economics in University, what grades/subjects are needed? Is it hard to get in?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Maths and Economics are good; Business Studies and Product Design are subjects you shouldn't touch with a barge pole for the more competitive unis. I was also under the impression that Further Maths is mandatory for Economics, but again this may just be for top end unis. Economics is one of the most competitive courses out there, so it won't be a walk in the park. Needless to say, youll need pretty good grades. But if you're willing to work hard enough, I have no doubt that you will be able to read Economics at a respectable uni.
:fyi: You should check out different university websites and their requirements. :smile:
as mentioned before if you want to get into a "good" uni, dont take business studies or product design.

Ideally you would take Maths, Economics, Further Maths will be looked on favourably, Physics or a essay based subject to expand your appeal.
You might get more replies in a dedicated subforum.
Reply 5
Original post by dothebadthing
Hi,

I am currently doing my GCSEs now. I am getting B/As at the moment and I have chosen to do Economics, Business Studies, Maths and Product Design for my A-Levels. I want to do Economics in University, what grades/subjects are needed? Is it hard to get in?

Thanks.

Yes, economics is competitive. If you don't get A* at GCSE than you will need to look at unis outside the top10. Not that that is necessarily bad, there are some good ones out. Check the TAELT (sticky thread in the Economics forum) to see what unis might interest you. It is a ranking of unis in terms of competitiveness and what grades are required to get offers (often predictions are much higher than usual standard offer).

Subjects: drop business studies. it overlaps with economics and is frowned upon by unis for economics applications. although I personally think it is actually harder to get high scores in business, but that's the way it is. I would suggest you pick up History/Eng Lit/a science, or maybe a language if you prefer, instead of business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending