The Student Room Group

Is that it? If you fail, no second chance?!

So, I went to uni. I should have dropped out, then I wouldn't be in the trouble I'm in now.

I wasted my time and barely passed with a miserable third class degree in the mckiest of all mickey mouse subjects - Film Studies. (No insult to those passionate)

Few years down the line and I see the ****up. I should have never gone in the first place and now I really want to go. I've been madly studying to take new A-levels so they'll be fresh for applications to UCAS, but after doing a lot of reading about this stuff, it seems I have missed the boat. Universities won't touch you with anything less than a 2:1.

Is that really true? I went to a top 20 before (I am such an idiot for wasting it) and I don't want to go to a crap place who will take a caterpillar with one D at A-level :frown:

Someone tell me it's not true?
Original post by JesseYuki
So, I went to uni. I should have dropped out, then I wouldn't be in the trouble I'm in now.

I wasted my time and barely passed with a miserable third class degree
in the mckiest of all mickey mouse subjects - Film Studies. (No insult to those passionate)

Few years down the line and I see the ****up. I should have never gone in the first place and now I really want to go. I've been madly studying to take new A-levels so they'll be fresh for applications to UCAS, but after doing a lot of reading about this stuff, it seems I have missed the boat. Universities won't touch you with anything less than a 2:1.

Is that really true? I went to a top 20 before (I am such an idiot for wasting it) and I don't want to go to a crap place who will take a caterpillar with one D at A-level :frown:

Someone tell me it's not true?

The bolded part also applies to me, and I have two offers (one from a Russell Group university), so I'd say it's not true.

Be aware that you'll be subject to ELQ fees in England though and won't be eligible for any financial assistance throughout the UK (ie, no student loans, etc.).
Reply 2
Yeah, I know about the fees. Oh well, it's fair enough I think.

Indeed, did you take new A-levels? Or did you get offers based on your old ones? Did the university ask for an academic reference from your old uni?
JesseYuki
Indeed, did you take new A-levels? Or did you get offers based on your old ones? Did the university ask for an academic reference from your old uni?

Yeah, none of my old A Levels were relevant to the course I've applied for so I'm taking three new ones. I've been given offers based on my expected results in August - in fact they seem to be giving me the lower end of their typical offer as well (maybe because I already have university experience?). I was worried too that my academic history would hold me back, but it doesn't seem to be the case. :smile:

My current lecturers at college did my UCAS reference for me (I doubt my old university lecturers would have even the slightest memory of me!).

I think universities are well aware that some of us really screw things up when we're younger and are more than happy to give us another chance provided they can see that we are making the effort and have a new attitude towards study.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending