The Student Room Group

Leaving out a GCSE D grade?

It wouldn't usually bother me if I had the one poor grade amongst good ones that I had to write down on an application.
I got 2 A's 7 B's at GCSE, plus 1 D :s-smilie:
But I really want to leave that D out of my UCAS, is that bad?
Because the D was in Art, and i'm applying for BA Graphic Design. And I feel that it'd look awful on my application for that reason.

I mean, if only they could of heard my awful Art teachers justifications for my D they might understand, she was the opposite to how an Art teacher should be, I can remember classic quotes that I often heard such as "this isn't really art is it?" and "Packaging Design is Graphics not Art"...I mean she told me these after marking my units...not whilst I was doing them as she was never in lesson to see my work. Man I hated her, and she hated me, we both knew it.
But anyway... :tongue:

I'm already nervous about being rejected because of my rubbish A-level grades (in the 2 I did that weren't Graphics) to say the least, I don't have the correct amount of UCAS points currently, but i'm on an Art and Design Foundation which will get me the points and will be looked at more so than A-levels by the majority of Unis.
But I still just feel this extra D will be 1 more little thing going against me,
ahhhhhhh!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cll_ws
It wouldn't usually bother me if I had the one poor grade amongst good ones that I had to write down on an application.
I got 2 A's 7 B's at GCSE, plus 1 D :s-smilie:
But I really want to leave that D out of my UCAS, is that bad?
Because the D was in Art, and i'm applying for BA Graphic Design. And I feel that it'd look awful on my application for that reason.

I mean, if only they could of heard my awful Art teachers justifications for my D they might understand, she was the opposite to how an Art teacher should be, I can remember classic quotes that I often heard such as "this isn't really art is it?" and "Packaging Design is Graphics not Art"...I mean she told me these after marking my units...not whilst I was doing them as she was never in lesson to see my work. Man I hated her, and she hated me, we both knew it.
But anyway... :tongue:

I'm already nervous about being rejected because of my rubbish A-level grades (in the 2 I did that weren't Graphics) to say the least, I don't have the correct amount of UCAS points currently, but i'm on an Art and Design Foundation which will get me the points and will be looked at more so than A-levels by the majority of Unis.
But I still just feel this extra D will be 1 more little thing going against me,
ahhhhhhh!

You have to include it,
Don't worry, you have good grades and one "bad" grade won't reflect badly.
You have to put it down, plus it's a qualification anyhow, a D is better than not having anything.
Include it, it's not optional.
Reply 3
Original post by super.teve
You have to include it,
Don't worry, you have good grades and one "bad" grade won't reflect badly.
You have to put it down, plus it's a qualification anyhow, a D is better than not having anything.

I know I have good ones, it just seems worse that I have a load of good ones, and then 1 bad one in a subject strongly related to what I want to study at University, haha.
I guess i'll include it, I don't want to risk being cancelled :s-smilie:
I just feel it looks awful, with bad grades scattered all over it.
2 of my A-levels were E's. They were completely unrelated subjects though and I had one good one in Graphic Design which is what I want to do, but I still feel these will make me look really bad.
The only hope i'm clinging on to is that I do meet the requirements, I have my A-level in Graphics and will have my Art & Design Foundation Diploma.
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Include it, it's not optional.

Yeah, I will..
Even if it is going to cause me even more worry on top of what i'm already worried about to do with my application :tongue:
Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah, I will..
Even if it is going to cause me even more worry on top of what i'm already worried about to do with my application :tongue:

Well you shouldn't worry, they're very unlikely to care about a single bad GCSE grade. :smile:
Reply 6
if you don't include and get offers, then when it comes to supplying qualifactions and they see D GSCE and you didn't tell them, they can say good bye NO OFFER :smile: so your choice :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Well you shouldn't worry, they're very unlikely to care about a single bad GCSE grade. :smile:

On top of my E's in Maths and Classics! haha :frown: I swear I should of just stuck to what I knew I was good at, that last minute swap of A-level to Maths was the worst decision I ever made.
Yeah hopefully. Well I just did pay/send and i've put it in.
So I guess we'll wait and see :smile:
Must think positive, at least I have decent grades in the area I actually want to study.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MylesXD
if you don't include and get offers, then when it comes to supplying qualifactions and they see D GSCE and you didn't tell them, they can say good bye NO OFFER :smile: so your choice :wink:

haha, yeah, that's what scared me into putting it.
Reply 9
Didn't include my D in French at GCSE in my application..
Reply 10
Original post by FTstudies
Didn't include my D in French at GCSE in my application..
Then you were lying when you 'signed' the declaration when submitting it that your application was complete and accurate.
Most of my GCSE's were D's.

Just add it, it's not the end of the world.
I'm applying to Graphic Design with barely 5 C's.
I even failed Art at GCSE.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Minerva
Then you were lying when you 'signed' the declaration when submitting it that your application was complete and accurate.

Well my head of year actually told us to not include below grade C's in our applications for GCSE's... well I'm happily at Uni now, I don't see how a grade D in French could benefit me anyhow.
Reply 13
Original post by DesignFreak
Most of my GCSE's were D's.

Just add it, it's not the end of the world.
I'm applying to Graphic Design with barely 5 C's.
I even failed Art at GCSE.

Ahh right, it's a little more reassuring that i'm not the only one that's failed Art GCSE that's applying to Graphic Design, aha.

I just wish I could redo that 1 unit of my Graphics A-Level, then I probably wouldn't be freaking out so much about getting offers.
I was going so well, 3 of the 4 units were ABB, then I got a D (one mark off E) in 1 unit and ended up with a C :mad:
I feel like such an idiot for letting that happen...it was the one where you write your own brief, needless to say, I wrote the stupidest, hardest brief ever.

I really hope they just look at my Foundation. My A-Levels were so bad, I hated A-Levels.
But I love Foundation and having the chance to just do what I enjoy all day :biggrin:

I didn't enjoy my Graphics A-level so much because I hated the other subjects I was doing and they took up loads of time, so when I got down to doing Graphics it all felt very forced. Like I had to force out ideas in the time I had set aside for Graphics, know what I mean? On Foundation the ideas just flow naturally, haha.
Reply 14
For UCAS, yes you do have to include it.
For CV/Job Application, no you don't have to include it.
Reply 15
Original post by FTstudies
Well my head of year actually told us to not include below grade C's in our applications for GCSE's... well I'm happily at Uni now, I don't see how a grade D in French could benefit me anyhow.
Your Head of Year was giving inappropriate advice, then.

The issue is not about benefit - it's about the ethics/honesty of submitting an application on the basis that it is complete and accurate, knowing that it was not.
Original post by Cll_ws
Ahh right, it's a little more reassuring that i'm not the only one that's failed Art GCSE that's applying to Graphic Design, aha.

I just wish I could redo that 1 unit of my Graphics A-Level, then I probably wouldn't be freaking out so much about getting offers.
I was going so well, 3 of the 4 units were ABB, then I got a D (one mark off E) in 1 unit and ended up with a C :mad:
I feel like such an idiot for letting that happen...it was the one where you write your own brief, needless to say, I wrote the stupidest, hardest brief ever.

I really hope they just look at my Foundation. My A-Levels were so bad, I hated A-Levels.
But I love Foundation and having the chance to just do what I enjoy all day :biggrin:

My didn't enjoy my Graphics A-level so much because I hated the other subjects I was doing and they took up loads of time, so when I got down to doing Graphics it all felt very forced. Like I had to force out ideas in the time I had set aside for Graphics, know what I mean? On Foundation the ideas just flow naturally, haha.

I'm not atrocious at art, my folders went missing a few days before marking so there was nothing i could really do, I just had to deal with my D's in Art and Design.

I blagged my way onto a Fine Art BTEC and now I'm doing really well surprisingly :smile:
I'm worried about my GCSE's holding me back, as my BTEC results are still pending.
I'm just hoping my personal statement is good enough for people even to consider me. as they might look at my appalling GCSE's and just think 'no'

I wouldn't worry about your A-level in Graphics either. Your portfolio is going to be the most important thing, that's what's going to get you your offers. Just worry about building up some work, quality over quantity. For graphic design most people do get interviews, some are unlucky and get rejections. (i can see this being me)

So Good luck!
where are you applying to then?
for me it's

Falmouth
Chelsea College of Art and Design
Brighton
UWIC.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I'm not atrocious at art, my folders went missing a few days before marking so there was nothing i could really do, I just had to deal with my D's in Art and Design.

I blagged my way onto a Fine Art BTEC and now I'm doing really well surprisingly :smile:
I'm worried about my GCSE's holding me back, as my BTEC results are still pending.
I'm just hoping my personal statement is good enough for people even to consider me. as they might look at my appalling GCSE's and just think 'no'

I wouldn't worry about your A-level in Graphics either. Your portfolio is going to be the most important thing, that's what's going to get you your offers. Just worry about building up some work, quality over quantity. For graphic design most people do get interviews, some are unlucky and get rejections. (i can see this being me)

So Good luck!
where are you applying to then?
for me it's

Falmouth
Chelsea College of Art and Design
Brighton
UWIC.

Yep, I feel the same just with my A-Levels.
My Foundation will be Pending, so they'll have my A-levels to look at which are awful.

My GCSEs were okay really, 2 A's 7 B's 1 D, its just unfortunate the D was in Art.
But I couldn't of done any better, not with the teacher I had. She waited till i'd handed all my work in and then said things like "this isn't really Art is it?". She was the worst possible person to have as an Art teacher, i'm pretty sure the only thing she classed as Art was painting. As I got a D based purely on the fact that for one Unit I did packaging design, which she said was Graphics not Art, and for another I did a mix between illustration and collage on my final piece and she said that collage shows no artistic skill at all and can't be counted as Art.
She really hated me, plus she was never in lessons, and when she was she moaned about how she could be teaching Gym as shes trained in it.

Choosing Maths and Classics at A-level when I turned out to be awful at them didn't help at all. And it made me hate college and in turn affected my Graphics A-level.
I would really hope to get interviews at least, at least that way I can show them that my A-Levels were just an accidental mess up and I am capable.

I'm applying to:
Nottingham Trent
UWIC
UWE Bristol
Leeds Met
Man Met

:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm sure you will get interviews!
good luck with your choices, they seem a pretty good bunch.
i was thinking of trent, but i'm not really sure if i want to add it yet or add glamorgan as a safety net :/
Reply 19
I'm sure you will get interviews!
good luck with your choices, they seem a pretty good bunch.
i was thinking of trent, but i'm not really sure if i want to add it yet or add glamorgan as a safety net :/

I hope so! thanks, and you.

Yeah Trent seems really good. The best outside of London for Art & Design according to them. If I got an offer from there it'd be most likely to be my firm. I really liked the look of it.
Although Nottingham itself can be a dodgy city from what I hear! haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending