The Student Room Group

History? No A-Level

Ok, Ive just started a Human Genetics degree at Notts and hate it. I realised that science is just not for me. I have A-Levels in Bio, Chem, Law and Psychology all at Grade A. I really pushed myself thru the science a-levels, whereas found the essay based subjects relatively easy.
I did history at GCSE and acheived an A* and ive realised now that it is where my main interests lie.
Are there any 'decent' unis i cud go to that wud accept me without history a-level? Has anyone else done this? Or am i just barking up the wrong tree?
Reply 1
Lots of unis I have looked at don't state History A Level as a requirement for studying History at uni. You just have to demonstrate that you have a real interest and passion for the subject.

Don't carry on doing something you hate - there is no point xxx
Reply 2
You've obviously got flair for the subject if you achieved an A* at GCSE and most universities don't actually state you need A-Level history to get in, even Oxford only says it's preferable, not compulsory. I would imagine you would be at a slight disadvantage, but if in your personal statement you explain how your interests have changed etc etc I'm sure they would consider you with as much regard as applicants who have a history A-Level.
Reply 3
if you're not happy then switch. but are u sure this is what u really want? n yeh u dont have to have history AS or A level..some people do history degrees yet only got as far as GCSE level cos history clashed with other subjects n so they couldnt do history...however, some unis do state they want history A level but u just have to check which!
Reply 4
History is a very competitive course (After Medicine, Law and English, it's the most applied to)... doing it at A-level isn't essential, but as a History student myself I personally am learning new terminology, new historians, and crucially new skills which are such a step up from GCSE. I don't mean to put you off - many students wjho go on to do it at uni haven't done it at A Level - but I think it depends what unis you would want to apply to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:
Reply 5
Joey12
Ok, Ive just started a Human Genetics degree at Notts and hate it. I realised that science is just not for me. I have A-Levels in Bio, Chem, Law and Psychology all at Grade A. I really pushed myself thru the science a-levels, whereas found the essay based subjects relatively easy.
I did history at GCSE and acheived an A* and ive realised now that it is where my main interests lie.
Are there any 'decent' unis i cud go to that wud accept me without history a-level? Has anyone else done this? Or am i just barking up the wrong tree?

Yes there are places in the Sunday Times top 30 (aka 'decent' universities) that will take you without History at AS/A2. A quick check on UCAS for V100 (single honours history being likely to have the most stringent requirements) brings up Bristol, Sussex, and Lancaster for example where History is not specified at either level in their entry criteria. Lancaster is particularly flexible, and people have been known to switch to history there having started out to do something quite different.
If you broadened your search out to look at joint honours I suspect you'd find even more places that would consider you with the A2 profile you have. The decision to make then would be whether to finish the year you've started and transfer, or drop out and start again. There's a long long but informative thread on TSR about how that all works. Good luck!
Reply 6
rhul will take u without a history A level :P...u have a range of A levels - science and arts so it's worth a shot applying! if u only had sciency A levels it might be a bit difficult cos history is more arty (I know it's a humanity!!!) but cos u have a range it should be okies
Reply 7
I personally wouldn't like to dive into history degree straight from GCSE - there is a huge, huge jump. If I were you I'd try to do the History A-level in a college or something for a year.
i personally dont feel it is that huge a leap and think you should go for it! Its not like a science where if u miss 2 years of higher teaching you are likely to blow something up in the lab....

I did history A-level, but the periods i studied were completely different to the ones im studying now... and if you have the A-level in law then you have the whole 'arty' way of thinking down and therefore should be good to go :biggrin:
Reply 9
Since your going to have to apply for next year anyway (via UCAS - hurry up id say) why not just take the History A level in that year? Self teach yourself, or do some part time classes, sit exams as private candidate and get that A level.

Since History is an oversubscribed course, There probably wont be any places left for transfers etc - but you could give that a shot...
Reply 10
Joey12

Of course! But you should probably look to transfer after your first year at Notts. Talk to someone in the universitie's guidance/careers office, they'll give solid advice.
Your A Levels are worth more than others' predictions and they show you are a good 'all-rounder'. You'll do fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending