The Student Room Group

GCSEs as a private candidate - cost?

I was thinking about sitting some GCSEs as a private candidate (most likely through AQA) but I can't seem to find anything on exam fees anywhere. Has anyone sat GCSEs as a private candidate who knows roughly how much it costs per exam? I know it varies but even a rough estimate will do.

Also another thing that I don't quite understand is do you pay per unit or per exam? I think for A Levels you have to pay for each unit you are entering for (?) but not sure about GCSEs. For instance for Science, do you have to pay to sit each individual subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) or do you just pay for the whole exam?
Reply 1
I can tell you how much i paid for my IGCSE's - 1.1k euros. 100 per exam .. or somewhere there xD. Im not sure wheather this info is useful to you, but thought id share.
Reply 2
I heard it was like £70 per exam, not sure if this is true mind.
Some places like your local school offer you a chance to take them very cheap. Its like we are talking £20 maybe £30 sometimes waaaay less even. Because they only charge for the cost it costs them to get the actual test paper.

Places Like Campbell Harris are good for GCSE Sciences as they even sort out the ISA (Coursework) for you as most places don't and you are on your own. With the small point of verifying your work even conducting the Coursework at home would be a relative straightforward thing to do.

I hope it all goes well. PM for more info/. Im doing 1 AS and 2 GCSE's externally alongside my other AS levels I am studying in College like everyone else
Reply 4
I've managed to get french IGCSE for like 53 pounds, but thats through my own school; as a private candidate.
Reply 5
It really depends on the centre. Some will only charge you the fees for the paper, which tends to be about £20 each, but others will expect you to pay an admin fee or contribute to the other costs such as invigilators and room hire. You also have to decide how you're going to study - you may use materials from the internet which are free or buy books and teach yourself, or may go somewhere like ICS and pay several hundred pounds.

So the cost varies from practically nothing to nearer £1000.
Reply 6
I had to pay for all the exams i took, in the bill my school gave me each exam ranged from £15 to £40
Reply 7
Taking Igsce Biology on Thurs, cost me £65 at local school
hi
Basically I wanted to do GCSE in: Art, scienze and business if it's possibile please
Can I or no??
Original post by Akash Chand
hi
Basically I wanted to do GCSE in: Art, scienze and business if it's possibile please
Can I or no??

You can't do GCSE art as it isn't available to private candidates; you can do CIE ( Cambridge) IGCSE art f you can find a centre- if you are in London Cherry Hill Tuition Hounslow offer it ( but it is EXPENSIVE). Sciences you will have to IGCSE to avoid practicals and also business if you do it in 2017 although the GCSE will be possible in later years when the new syllabus ( with no controlled assessment ) is available
Original post by SoupBubbles
I was thinking about sitting some GCSEs as a private candidate (most likely through AQA) but I can't seem to find anything on exam fees anywhere. Has anyone sat GCSEs as a private candidate who knows roughly how much it costs per exam? I know it varies but even a rough estimate will do.

Also another thing that I don't quite understand is do you pay per unit or per exam? I think for A Levels you have to pay for each unit you are entering for (?) but not sure about GCSEs. For instance for Science, do you have to pay to sit each individual subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) or do you just pay for the whole exam?

I'm not sure exactly but I did my Spanish IGCSE 2 years early in June and took it in the hall with the year 11s even though I wasn't studying it in school and I think I remember it costing about £57 but I'm not entirely sure. Hope that's helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest