Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Asylum seeker who left girl to die after hit-and-run allowed to stay in UK

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Article.

A man whose daughter was killed by a failed asylum-seeker has spoken of his fury after he was allowed to remain in the UK.

Hit-and-run driver Aso Mohammed Ibrahim, 33, an Iraqi Kurd, left 12-year-old Amy Houston dying under the wheels of his car while already banned from driving.

He was jailed for four months but allowed to remain in the UK on his release. Backed by Amy's father Paul Houston, the UK Border Agency appealed against that decision.

Mr Houston, 41, from Darwen, Lancashire, was left to make the decision to turn off Amy's life support machine hours after the crash in Blackburn, Lancs, in November 2003. He has since campaigned to get Ibrahim deported in a tortuous legal battle spanning seven years.

The Upper Tribunal of the Immigration and Asylum Chamber sitting in Manchester also heard Ibrahim, who now has a family in the UK, had a string of criminal convictions.

But Ibrahim's lawyers claimed human rights laws permitted him to remain in the country on the grounds of his right to life and to family life, and two senior immigration judges have now rejected the appeal.

Reacting to the ruling, Mr Houston said: "I'm really angry. We should all be angry. It is a ridiculous state of affairs," he said. "I'm battling away here on my own. This is a perversity of our society. What are the judges saying here? They are saying it doesn't matter what you do when you come here, who you kill, what laws you break, as long as you have a child here you can stay?"
    Thoughts?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult how a lawyer can argue human rights when the man so willingly took another's life, with no respect to the victims human rights.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that "Human Rights" are only ever used against our society, by those from within?

What about the right of our society to protect itself in the face of its enemies and outsiders who would harm it?

Why has all decency and reasonableness gone out of the window?

The real problem is that our society is being destroyed from within by people such as these judges, and there is no umbrella to be used against them.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Why is it that "Human Rights" are only ever used against our society?

Why has all decency and reasonableness gone out of the window?
    What happened to the Tory scrapping of it? And the British Bill of Rights?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a tool, but oh well
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Outrageous.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    What happened to the Tory scrapping of it? And the British Bill of Rights?
    Dave prefers his leftie friends...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    another case of the victims and their families meaning nothing, the criminal system is more about protecting criminals... if you do a crime you get more rights and protection than you ever had......

deport him....... right away...... when will western liberals get it?

no i am not a conservative i am an ultra liberal who has COMMON SENSE!

my heart goes out to the family.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Funny how he only got a couple of months...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How much do you want to bet that this guy is taking benefits too.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dave prefers his leftie friends...
    The apparant scrapping of the Human Rights Act and replacing it with a Bill of Rights was merely a ploy to appease and get votes from ignorant people such as yourself who have been duped into thinking the only role of the HRA is to protect criminals and immigrants because they see articles such as this. In reality scrapping it will make a shread of difference in terms of the outcome as long as this country is still signed up to the European Convention of Human Rights. It would just mean that the man would have to take his case to Strasbourg rather than in the UK courts
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    But if they deported him he'd have to take his child with him? The child didnt do anything wrong and if he is an asylum seeker, sending him back to the country wont be safe for the child (dont really care about him). Tricky situation...
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    But if they deported him he'd have to take his child with him? The child didnt do anything wrong and if he is an asylum seeker, sending him back to the country wont be safe for the child (dont really care about him). Tricky situation...
    Could stay with his mother.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    The apparant scrapping of the Human Rights Act and replacing it with a Bill of Rights was merely a ploy to appease and get votes from ignorant people such as yourself who have been duped into thinking the only role of the HRA is to protect criminals and immigrants because they see articles such as this. In reality scrapping it will make a shread of difference in terms of the outcome as long as this country is still signed up to the European Convention of Human Rights. It would just mean that the man would have to take his case to Strasbourg rather than in the UK courts
    "Ignorance" the clichéd and always first disparaging accusation when you don't like what someone says (in preparation to calling "Racist!").

The essence of the religion of "human rights" is... "No matter what I do, the world owes me everything".

When have you ever heard the term "human rights" in a positive context for this society?

As I understand it the human rights act was essentially full incorporation of the European convention into domestic English law. Repealing it would still be a good thing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In reality scrapping it will make a shread of difference in terms of the outcome as long as this country is still signed up to the European Convention of Human Rights.
    Repealing the HRA 1998 would sever any legal obligations to the ECHR. We live in a dualist state.

It would just mean that the man would have to take his case to Strasbourg rather than in the UK courts
    Pretty pointless if the HRA 1998 was repealed.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Ignorance" the clichéd and always first disparaging accusation when you don't like what someone says (in preparation to calling "Racist!").

The essence of the religion of "human rights" is... "The world owes me everything".

When have you ever heard the term "human rights" in a positive context for this society?

As I understand it the human rights act was essentially full incorporation of the European convention into domestic English law. Repealing it would still be a good thing.
    I said you were ignorant because you don't know what you are talking about, the fact that I disagree with it is another matter. I don't even know what you are talking about in realation to the HRA not protecting out society. The whole point of human rights is to protect the rights of individuals. I see no reason to repeal a statute which aims to protect rights such as the right not be tortured, the right to life, the right to privacy, freedom of thought and various other basic human rights
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but he hasn't done that because he's an asylum seeker. Why tie that in?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Yes, but he hasn't done that because he's an asylum seeker. Why tie that in?
    Why should we give asylum to criminals?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I said you were ignorant because you don't know what you are talking about, the fact that I disagree with it is another matter. I don't even know what you are talking about in realation to the HRA not protecting out society. The whole point of human rights is to protect the rights of individuals. I see no reason to repeal a statute which aims to protect rights such as the right not be tortured, the right to life, the right to privacy, freedom of thought and various other basic human rights
    Judges only ever seem to be concerned with the "human rights" of enemies of this society.

Edit: So today "human rights" have meant that a failed asylum seeker who let a little girl die under the wheels of his car has won the right to live in this country.

And the European court of human rights has forced Ireland to pave the way for mass abortion.

Moral rectitude at its finest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so four months for driving carelessly and killing someone, fleeing the scene, AND whilst disqualified (and thus uninsured)

wat?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 17, 2010
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.