The Student Room Group

What new things have you experienced at uni? Fess up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shyguy90
Learned that as a second year, all the clubs are now filled with freshers its hard to get into them.
student gov finance are a bunch of trucking tankers.
I have also became more nocturnal, sleeping pattern is shot to hell but other than that, Im more confident :smile:

Pretty much the same

Original post by ch0llima
Seriously, you 2010 freshers and 2011 UCAS applicants going "yay uni" don't know what you're letting yourselves in for. Just to let you know, the overrated and overstated social opportunities die out like the dinosaurs when you hit late second and early third year (especially at elite and top ranked universities like Oxbridge and Edinburgh) unless you're happy selling yourself short with a crap degree classification. Some places won't even do you the courtesy of that and will just kick you out.

University life can get seriously miserable when the work piles up and the money runs out, and academic staff can be real pieces of work.

Oh, and the OP sounds like a total slapper tbh - even by first year university standards, when I was a fresher even the most promiscuous of girls I met kept themselves in check.

After possibly the most stressful week/two weeks in my life, I would have to agree. Having come home, I now have a strong desire to play the game 'how long can I lie in my bed without moving?' - I'd be happy to sleep til Sunday.
Reply 61
Seriously, you 2010 freshers and 2011 UCAS applicants going "yay uni" don't know what you're letting yourselves in for. Just to let you know, the overrated and overstated social opportunities die out like the dinosaurs when you hit late second and early third year (especially at elite and top ranked universities like Oxbridge and Edinburgh) unless you're happy selling yourself short with a crap degree classification.

Oh, and the OP sounds like a total slapper tbh - even by first year university standards, when I was a fresher even the most promiscuous of girls I met kept themselves in check.

As an Edinburgh graduate and current student at Cambridge, I can safely say the death of social opportunities at Cambridge far exceeds that at Edinburgh. In my first year at Cambridge I've worked substantially harder than I did in my honours years at Edinburgh. It's possible to do very well at Edinburgh and still lead a very busy social life. The same is true to an extent at Cambridge, but the two universities really can't be put in the same class in terms of the amount of work.
Reply 62
Original post by im so academic
Thank God the fees are going up if they are going to deter certain "students" from roaming free and engaging in hedonistic pursuits. I thought university was supposed to be a time where you pursue an academic education in your chosen subject.

How wrong was I...

Fair enough, I understand that student life is important; but for not one reason with regards to education in the OP's list makes me thing that the OP is going to university for the wrong reasons.

Anyone that goes to university and hates the work that they do makes me think - why are you even there in the first place?

:sigh:

I'm not really sure that it's any business of yours in the first place--you're at AS level, so not really in position to know what it's like to study at uni. The OP never said she hated the work, nor that she was doing poorly. Studying at uni is somewhat different from school, but for a lot of people the biggest change first term is the independence.

You also seem to miss the "work hard, party hard" ethos that a number of people embrace at uni.
Reply 63
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
Pretty much the same

After possibly the most stressful week/two weeks in my life, I would have to agree. Having come home, I now have a strong desire to play the game 'how long can I lie in my bed without moving?' - I'd be happy to sleep til Sunday.

Im going to play that game tomorrow, this past few weeks have been both freezing and as boring as watching paint dry.
Reply 64
-how to setup studio shoots
-how to open a beer bottle with my key
-how to roll a joint
-having a bag of crisps for dinner
-surfing in the british weather
-2am snowman building
-clubbing with my tutors
-guest lecturers
Seriously, you 2010 freshers and 2011 UCAS applicants going "yay uni" don't know what you're letting yourselves in for. Just to let you know, the overrated and overstated social opportunities die out like the dinosaurs when you hit late second and early third year (especially at elite and top ranked universities like Oxbridge and Edinburgh) unless you're happy selling yourself short with a crap degree classification. Some places won't even do you the courtesy of that and will just kick you out.

University life can get seriously miserable when the work piles up and the money runs out, and academic staff can be real pieces of work.

That's far from true for everybody and such an exaggerated picture of what university is or can be.

Being social only really dies out from being not right for your course and getting so bogged down with work that you don't have time to do anything else, or by not being able to get the work-social balance right.

There's absolutely no reason why you can't undertake a decent degree at a high-ranking university, and graduate with 1st class honours whilst also making time for meetings up with friends, nights out, clubs, societies, trips and just general fun.

Everything in moderation...
Reply 66
Why are people writing against the OP?

She isn't talking about new educational experiences, because that aspect of university is pretty self explainatory. More independance, self study but that all started towards the end of A levels. She was just writing to explore the new things that people are doing since being more independant and can, to a degree, explore who they are.

So please, join in and have fun, im having a laugh reading all this stuff as its expected. So please get off your high horse, remove the chip on your shoulder and join in and have some fun or gtfo.
Reply 67
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I find it shocking that nobody has called troll. The post count in particular gives it away.

I wish i was trolling now..haha.
Reply 68
Original post by Eloise987
You'd never even been fingered before oO
No wonder you've gone a bit mental!

As long as you're sensible about it, ie safe sex and letting somebody know where you're going/you've got someone in your room, then it's not a particularly huge deal as some are suggesting, don't fret :wink:

You'll be able to look back on this when you're a boring, married 50 year old with three kids and fondly remember the wild times of your youth. Who wants tame teenage years? Why tell friends at a dinner party in 30 years about the time you were at the library and caught two people having sex when you could tell them about the time YOU were caught having sex in the library.

Life's for living, so as long as you're enjoying yourself and taking basic precautions (one person's idea of fun can be very different to another's) then who cares?

:smile:

I like this a lot. I agree completely. :smile:

People may think i'm a slag...and hey, i feel like one to some extent - i don't disagree, but i'm not in fact that stupid that i'd sleep around - i've only had sex once! But yeah life is for living! It's far too short to try and be "good" and do everything right and not make mistakes.
Reply 69
one thing I know for sure, I won't loose my dignity like you have.

ouch.
Reply 70
Original post by mattdst
Why are people writing against the OP?

She isn't talking about new educational experiences, because that aspect of university is pretty self explainatory. More independance, self study but that all started towards the end of A levels. She was just writing to explore the new things that people are doing since being more independant and can, to a degree, explore who they are.

So please, join in and have fun, im having a laugh reading all this stuff as its expected. So please get off your high horse, remove the chip on your shoulder and join in and have some fun or gtfo.

I like you. I agree. :smile:
The point i was getting at is that the last three months since starting uni has been for me, such a different experience - i've not only made some mistakes but also i've had fun! ..and discovered a lot about myself.
Reply 71
Original post by im so academic
Thank God the fees are going up if they are going to deter certain "students" from roaming free and engaging in hedonistic pursuits. I thought university was supposed to be a time where you pursue an academic education in your chosen subject.

How wrong was I...

Fair enough, I understand that student life is important; but for not one reason with regards to education in the OP's list makes me thing that the OP is going to university for the wrong reasons.

Anyone that goes to university and hates the work that they do makes me think - why are you even there in the first place?

:sigh:

Did i say i hate my work? You sure don't know me! i live and breathe my subject - i do Creative Advertising and even on a night out when i'm drunk i rant on about how amazing the ads are in the nightclub - i even tried to collect notes for an essay once on "nightclub flyers" - I got a decent mark.
Reply 72
Original post by draikzer
If the OP was a guy and did all that stuff he'd be such a lad.

But girl OP, you are a massive STI filled slag.

I took an STI test 2 days ago and it came out negative :s-smilie:

I'm 19 and i've slept with ONE person. How can i be a slag?
Original post by Emor
Honestly surprised by the replies here. Why is everyone being so damn conservative? It's like she confessed to child molestation or whatever. How does it effect you whatsoever?
It irritates me so much.
It's this conservative attitude that is responsible for so much prejudice and stigma that impede individuals daily on achieving the most from life.
How can woman alone be so conservative? You fight for years, decades, to not be repressed in terms of clothing, sex, make-up, and general freedom, and then you throw it all back in these people's faces who spent their entire lives looked down upon as sub-human by endorsing internal gender oppression!
What do you gain from calling someone a slag? False feelings of supremacy? How does it make you superior to someone due to your inability to engage in reproductive acts? No doubt it'd indicate otherwise? I know here I'm being a hypocrite by insulting another group, and that no one(esp. females) is going to claim their abstinence(or at least, lack of sexual activity[which is chosen to be infrequent?]) is down to nothing other than choice, but people like you just irritate me.
People say they want world peace, no war, no homophobia, sex-equality, etc. but pounce at any possible opportunity to insult another human being when said human being has done no harm!
You are an example of a far more fundamental problem with society, than something as trivial as an individuals attitude to standardised education.
Damn it. I'm so mad. Neg all you want, not one of you can refute this post. All you can do is perpetuate out-dated repressive attitudes and throw meaningless ad-hominem attacks.
(Sorry for the poor structure of this post, just so mad).
EMZ.

Why can't you accept that there are individuals who aren't as "liberal" as you?

Liberal does not necessarily better.

You're an example of an close-minded person.
Reply 74
Original post by Emor
Honestly surprised by the replies here. Why is everyone being so damn conservative? It's like she confessed to child molestation or whatever. How does it effect you whatsoever?
It irritates me so much.
It's this conservative attitude that is responsible for so much prejudice and stigma that impede individuals daily on achieving the most from life.
How can woman alone be so conservative? You fight for years, decades, to not be repressed in terms of clothing, sex, make-up, and general freedom, and then you throw it all back in these people's faces who spent their entire lives looked down upon as sub-human by endorsing internal gender oppression!
What do you gain from calling someone a slag? False feelings of supremacy? How does it make you superior to someone due to your inability to engage in reproductive acts? No doubt it'd indicate otherwise? I know here I'm being a hypocrite by insulting another group, and that no one(esp. females) is going to claim their abstinence(or at least, lack of sexual activity[which is chosen to be infrequent?]) is down to nothing other than choice, but people like you just irritate me.
People say they want world peace, no war, no homophobia, sex-equality, etc. but pounce at any possible opportunity to insult another human being when said human being has done no harm!
You are an example of a far more fundamental problem with society, than something as trivial as an individuals attitude to standardised education.
Damn it. I'm so mad. Neg all you want, not one of you can refute this post. All you can do is perpetuate out-dated repressive attitudes and throw meaningless ad-hominem attacks.
(Sorry for the poor structure of this post, just so mad).
EMZ.

Thank you for your support.
Reply 75
Original post by insoms
Your parents will be so proud...

I know. They really would. That's why i haven't told them :wink:
Original post by jjarvis
You also seem to miss the "work hard, party hard" ethos that a number of people embrace at uni.

Have I really? Personally I believe both aspects of university are just as important as each other. However the social life does not necessarily mean "partying" all the time.
Original post by HelloPoka
But yeah life is for living! It's far too short to try and be "good" and do everything right and not make mistakes.

That's what you think. Ever thought that other people may think differently?
Reply 78
Lifes for living :P

I'm not at uni yet.. starting in september.. nervous! aha :P

But my uni days have already started i spose with interviews n track n shiz :P

.. My mate bet me that i could'nt get drink into the interview conversation... And i got Guinness into it and got my offer the next day :P haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending