The Student Room Group

What to read after Asimov's Foundation?

So I just got totally engrossed with the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, it's my first forray into Sci-Fi (bar Douglas Adams) and I'm kind of in love. I finished the first book in 3 days and I'm onto the second now but I looked at the Sci-Fi section at work and found it very hard to tell if any of it was any good.

I like the whole space-politics theme of Foundation, I'm not so much interested in his Robots series, I want something similar. I really like Kurt Vonnegut and I love the idea of Kilgore Trout's books in Vonnegut's novels but I've never read any of his sci-fi.

Anyone got any recommendations for a sci-fi semi-virgin?
Reply 1

Dune, by Frank Herbert. Excellent book. Avoid the film.
Reply 2
Original post by Apagg
Dune, by Frank Herbert. Excellent book. Avoid the film.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I second Dune - especially if, as you said, you like the 'space-politics' theme.

Ok, I'm in work tomorrow and I have three hours between the end of my shift and the Christmas party so I might take Dune up into the staff room and have a look. Someone else suggested that too. Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Norfolkadam
So I just got totally engrossed with the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, it's my first forray into Sci-Fi (bar Douglas Adams) and I'm kind of in love. I finished the first book in 3 days and I'm onto the second now but I looked at the Sci-Fi section at work and found it very hard to tell if any of it was any good.

I like the whole space-politics theme of Foundation, I'm not so much interested in his Robots series, I want something similar. I really like Kurt Vonnegut and I love the idea of Kilgore Trout's books in Vonnegut's novels but I've never read any of his sci-fi.

Anyone got any recommendations for a sci-fi semi-virgin?

'Hyperion' by Dan Simmons; 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott-Card.
Reply 4
Dune, Ender's Game and The Forever War.

They're the most well known, and rightly so. And anything by Dick or Clarke.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending