The Student Room Group

Is History and Politics a "mickey mouse" degree?

I've applied for History and Politics, and I'm not going to change my mind about it, but I was just wondering what you lot think.
There are a lot of people who talk about "mickey mouse" degrees, and I've heard Politics said to be one by a couple of people on these forums. People are often quick to mention Medicine, other sciences, Maths and Nursing as "good degrees" to do, but few people talk about English, History etc. as much.
Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

A few members of TSR dismiss arts courses because they don't lead to a career as directly as science courses do (in general.) However, both of those are respected courses in their own right, so I would say no.
Unfortunately there are people will dismiss any subject that they do not do as completely useless. Don't listen to these people.
Reply 3
No. And who cares, most people here are nerds. (bet I'll get quoted on this :rolleyes:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Ridiculous. People talk about Politics as a 'soft' subject at A-Level, and even then it is the most respectable 'soft' subject by far. Politics at university is very respectable, History is one of the most respected degrees out there. History and Politics is a proper and an indisputably 'good' degree, and anyone who says otherwise is in need of help or need to duck back to whichever bridge they reside underneath.
Reply 5
History and Politics, no. 'Retail and Catering Management', maybe.

It would be soft if it was "The history of politics".
Reply 7
Only an elitist would consider it a 'mickey mouse degree'.
Original post by Captain92
I've applied for History and Politics, and I'm not going to change my mind about it, but I was just wondering what you lot think.
There are a lot of people who talk about "mickey mouse" degrees, and I've heard Politics said to be one by a couple of people on these forums. People are often quick to mention Medicine, other sciences, Maths and Nursing as "good degrees" to do, but few people talk about English, History etc. as much.
Your thoughts?

No, they're not. People saying so are fools.
Is it true that the department of Disney only give out such degrees?
People are often quick to mention Medicine, other sciences, Maths and Nursing as "good degrees" to do, but few people talk about English, History etc. as much.
Your thoughts?

:lolwut:

Spoiler

As said, history and politics are well respected academic subjects.

Not that I am biased... Not even remotely. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Your thoughts?

That is a sound degree.
Our last Prime minister had a history degree so I think this is an example which shows it can't be a bad degree to have. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
As said, history and politics are well respected academic subjects.

Not that I am biased... Not even remotely. :biggrin:

Haha, I can see why you'd be completely objective! :p:D

History and Politics is a academically solid degree and only an idiot would call it 'mickey mouse'. :tongue:
Reply 15
Mate of mine did 'Computer and Video Games studies' and hes on just under £50k straight out of uni working on java games for portable devices.

Mate of mine has a 1st in Psychology.. hes back at his old job in Tescos.

Which ones the mickey mouse option here?

Answer is it all depends on what you do with it rather than calling it this or that.
No way! History is one of the hardest degrees out there and Politics is deemed respectable. If it was a Mickey Mouse degree, then why is Oxford offering it for dual honours?

Original post by No Man
Only an elitist would consider it a 'mickey mouse degree'.

Elitists love it. Only a chav would look down upon H&P degree or degrees in general!
Reply 17
it is not a mickey mouse degree (well it also depends on which institution you get your degree from), but it is certainly less employable than other degrees- such as economics, law etc...
Only people who are doing maths/physics and like to look down on anyone not doing maths/physics would say they are.
No, ffs.

People who think Politics is Mickey Mouse blatantly know nothing about what the course involves. And History? :lolwut: Not Mickey Mouse at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending